XP sp2 and USB Drives

I am running Windows XP home sp2, since sp2 has been
installed i can no longer access my USB Flash drive
(crucial gizmo 128MB). The drive does not show up in my
computer or windows explorer but does however show up if
i search for it using the search bar (only if I enter F:
as the drive to search) it also appears if I try to
access it through the DOS prompt. Can you please help as
this drive has a lot of very important information
including coursework fo a college course I would like to
retrieve not to mention the fact the drive is pretty much
now rendered useless.

Right click on My Computer and select Manage. On the following screen,
select Disk Management. Does it show up on the right hand side of the
screen? If so, what does it say about the drive?
--
Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
www.coribright.com

"Matthew Carter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running Windows XP home sp2, since sp2 has been
> installed i can no longer access my USB Flash drive
> (crucial gizmo 128MB). The drive does not show up in my
> computer or windows explorer but does however show up if
> i search for it using the search bar (only if I enter F:
> as the drive to search) it also appears if I try to
> access it through the DOS prompt. Can you please help as
> this drive has a lot of very important information
> including coursework fo a college course I would like to
> retrieve not to mention the fact the drive is pretty much
> now rendered useless.

Matthew,

I had the same problem. Download and install TweakUI from Microsoft:

Close Windows Explorer, open TweakUI and inside the TweakUI application go
to My Computer -> Drives and ensure the drive letter the USB device is
assigned is checked (should be by default) Untick it and tick it again and
click apply. If you want autoplay on the USB drive in TweakUI go to
Autoplay -> Drives and check the drive letter the USB device is assigned to
and click apply. Then in TweakUI go to Drive Letters and ensure the option
to Never Show Drive Letters IS NOT checked and click apply then OK.

Reopen Windows Explorer and your Drive/USB device should be present.

Nospam