Zalman 7700

Hi
If I were to install the Zalman 7700 cooler on a AMD cpu, should I install
the fanmate as well or just let the AMD Asus Q-Fan technology do it's thing
and regulate the speed of the fan(s).
Ken'

Paul

Splendid

In article <yY6dnWxFceIuQNDfRVn-2Q@golden.net>, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote:

> Hi
> If I were to install the Zalman 7700 cooler on a AMD cpu, should I install
> the fanmate as well or just let the AMD Asus Q-Fan technology do it's thing
> and regulate the speed of the fan(s).
> Ken'

Use the fanmate and set it to low. Run Prime95 and see if you
are getting enough cooling. Crank it up a bit if the temps
are too high for your liking. You may find a low and constant
fan noise is preferable to Q-fan adjusting the speed all the
time.

Q-fan is a temperature regulating feature. It attempts to run
the processor at a constant 50 degrees C. It is up to you
whether that is what you want to do.

Paul

Paul
Thanks for the info, will try Prime95 with my present system to see if it
will pass.
Thanks again
Ken'

> In article <yY6dnWxFceIuQNDfRVn-2Q@golden.net>, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> If I were to install the Zalman 7700 cooler on a AMD cpu, should I
>> install
>> the fanmate as well or just let the AMD Asus Q-Fan technology do it's
>> thing
>> and regulate the speed of the fan(s).
>> Ken'
>
> Use the fanmate and set it to low. Run Prime95 and see if you
> are getting enough cooling. Crank it up a bit if the temps
> are too high for your liking. You may find a low and constant
> fan noise is preferable to Q-fan adjusting the speed all the
> time.
>
> Q-fan is a temperature regulating feature. It attempts to run
> the processor at a constant 50 degrees C. It is up to you
> whether that is what you want to do.
>
> Paul

Zorglub38

Ken' a écrit :
> Hi
> If I were to install the Zalman 7700 cooler on a AMD cpu, should I install
> the fanmate as well or just let the AMD Asus Q-Fan technology do it's thing
> and regulate the speed of the fan(s).
> Ken'

Hi,

Personnaly, i use fanmate to reduce fan of chipset nforce 4 on asus
a8n-sli deluxe. Asus q-fan reduce automatically 2000 to 800 rpm and max
temp in full charge is 42°C.

Zorglub38

Paul
I downloaded Prime 95 and run it on my present system a P4C800 E deluxe with
a 2.8 Prescott with two sticks of OCZ PC4000 DDR EL Dual Channel Gold
Revision 2 Edition memory.
I ran it on my system non- overclocked and it ran overnight error free.
I then overclocked it 10% and re-ran it and I get the error " FATAL ERROR:
Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file."
Could you please explain to me what I need to do?
Thanks
Ken'

"Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote in message
> Paul
> Thanks for the info, will try Prime95 with my present system to see if it
> will pass.
> Thanks again
> Ken'

>> In article <yY6dnWxFceIuQNDfRVn-2Q@golden.net>, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> If I were to install the Zalman 7700 cooler on a AMD cpu, should I
>>> install
>>> the fanmate as well or just let the AMD Asus Q-Fan technology do it's
>>> thing
>>> and regulate the speed of the fan(s).
>>> Ken'
>>
>> Use the fanmate and set it to low. Run Prime95 and see if you
>> are getting enough cooling. Crank it up a bit if the temps
>> are too high for your liking. You may find a low and constant
>> fan noise is preferable to Q-fan adjusting the speed all the
>> time.
>>
>> Q-fan is a temperature regulating feature. It attempts to run
>> the processor at a constant 50 degrees C. It is up to you
>> whether that is what you want to do.
>>
>> Paul

Paul
I downloaded Prime 95 and run it on my present system a P4C800 E deluxe with
a 2.8 Prescott with two sticks of OCZ PC4000 DDR EL Dual Channel memory.
I ran it on my system non- overclocked and it ran overnight error free.
I then overclocked it 10% and re-ran it and I get the error " FATAL ERROR:
Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file."
Could you please explain to me what I need to do?
Thanks
Ken'

PS Mem test 86 runs error free.

"Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote in message
> Paul
> Thanks for the info, will try Prime95 with my present system to see if it
> will pass.
> Thanks again
> Ken'

>> In article <yY6dnWxFceIuQNDfRVn-2Q@golden.net>, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> If I were to install the Zalman 7700 cooler on a AMD cpu, should I
>>> install
>>> the fanmate as well or just let the AMD Asus Q-Fan technology do it's
>>> thing
>>> and regulate the speed of the fan(s).
>>> Ken'
>>
>> Use the fanmate and set it to low. Run Prime95 and see if you
>> are getting enough cooling. Crank it up a bit if the temps
>> are too high for your liking. You may find a low and constant
>> fan noise is preferable to Q-fan adjusting the speed all the
>> time.
>>
>> Q-fan is a temperature regulating feature. It attempts to run
>> the processor at a constant 50 degrees C. It is up to you
>> whether that is what you want to do.
>>
>> Paul

Paul
I downloaded Prime 95 and run it on my present system a P4C800 E deluxe with
a 2.8 Prescott with two sticks of OCZ PC4000 DDR EL Dual Channel memory.
I ran it on my system non- overclocked and it ran overnight error free.
I then overclocked it 10% and re-ran it and I get the error " FATAL ERROR:
Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file."
Could you please explain to me what I need to do?
Thanks
Ken'

PS Mem test 86 runs error free.

"Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote in message
> Paul
> Thanks for the info, will try Prime95 with my present system to see if it
> will pass.
> Thanks again
> Ken'

>> In article <yY6dnWxFceIuQNDfRVn-2Q@golden.net>, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> If I were to install the Zalman 7700 cooler on a AMD cpu, should I
>>> install
>>> the fanmate as well or just let the AMD Asus Q-Fan technology do it's
>>> thing
>>> and regulate the speed of the fan(s).
>>> Ken'
>>
>> Use the fanmate and set it to low. Run Prime95 and see if you
>> are getting enough cooling. Crank it up a bit if the temps
>> are too high for your liking. You may find a low and constant
>> fan noise is preferable to Q-fan adjusting the speed all the
>> time.
>>
>> Q-fan is a temperature regulating feature. It attempts to run
>> the processor at a constant 50 degrees C. It is up to you
>> whether that is what you want to do.
>>
>> Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <_fSdnT487fdKjtLfRVn-pA@golden.net>, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote:

> Paul
> I downloaded Prime 95 and run it on my present system a P4C800 E deluxe with
> a 2.8 Prescott with two sticks of OCZ PC4000 DDR EL Dual Channel memory.
> I ran it on my system non- overclocked and it ran overnight error free.
> I then overclocked it 10% and re-ran it and I get the error " FATAL ERROR:
> Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
> Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file."
> Could you please explain to me what I need to do?
> Thanks
> Ken'
>
> PS Mem test 86 runs error free.

First of all, don't use the automatic overclocking feature, unless
you at least use CPUZ to verify what the BIOS is doing to the
board. ( http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php )

Since the multiplier is locked on Intel processors, you can use
the FSB to overclock the processor. The normal settings involve
feeding 200MHz clock to the CPU, and the data transfer rate
on the front side bus is quadrupled to FSB800. The DDR ram
transfers data twice per 200Mhz clock, and that is a DDR400
transfer rate.

The memory bus has some dividers available, to run the
RAM slower than normal. At FSB800/DDR400, the divider is
terms "1:1". Some other available ratios are 5:4 and
3:2 (slower and slowest).

You can do a processor test first. By setting the memory ratio
to 3:2, the ram will run a lot slower than normal. That should
take the pressure off the memory. You can then lift the FSB
and test the processor. As the processor frequency rises,
the processor will need a bit more voltage. Your 2.8 might
be able to run at 3.5Ghz, with a little coaxing.

Once the processor is adjusted, you can start working on
the memory. By switching from "3:2" ratio to "5:4", that
will increase the memory bus speed, without changing the
processor core. Finally, if you use "1:1", that results
in the memory running as fast as the motherboard can manage,
with that choice of clock for the FSB.

I believe that the P4C800 and P4P800 family differ
slightly, in how the BIOS represents the ratio issue. The
P4P800 shows true memory speed, while the P4C800 numbers
are more representative of the ratio involved, but not
the true speed. The P4P800 SE, for example, offers to set
the RAM to 533MHz, according to the manual. But the options
offered are likely to be related to the current choice for
the processor clock.

On the P4C800, it should show DDR400, DDR333, and DDR266 as
options. These correspond to 1:1, 5:4, and 3:2 ratio. In
other words, the speeds are not true speeds, and instead are
a rough indication of the dividers available.

With your RAM, anything should be possible.

Set... Select... Gives...
(Normal) Clock=200 FSB= FSB800 Ratio=1:1 gives Memory=DDR400
Clock=250 FSB=FSB1000 Ratio=1:1 gives Memory=DDR500
Clock=250 FSB=FSB1000 Ratio=5:4 gives Memory=DDR400
Clock=250 FSB=FSB1000 Ratio=3:2 gives Memory=DDR333
^ ^
|___ x 2 for DDR x 2/3 = _____________________|

Using the bottom set of conditions, places the least stress on
the memory, and allows you to work on the processor. If you
use the 1:1 ratio (second line down in the table), that pushes
your RAM to its stated limit of PC4000.

For your memory to run at PC4000, it needs a Vdimm of greater
than the nominal 2.5V . You should check the oxztechnology.com
web site, to get the exact specs for your memory. Perhaps
2.7 or 2.75V would be a good starting point for testing.

So, start with the bottom line in the table above, as
that puts the least stress on the memory and allows you
to test what are the limits for your processor. In
terms of the Vcore voltage to apply to the processor,
I used to use:

http://www.cpudatabase.com/index.cfm?Action=search

but no new results have been added to the database for
a while, after some people submitted a bunch of bogus
overclocking results and messed up the database. I
don't see any Prescott results to go by. If I download
the processor datasheet, like this one:

ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/30056103.pdf

the absolute maximum voltage listed for the Prescott is
1.55V, so I wouldn't set the BIOS to more than 1.50V based
on that limit. Try bumping up the Vcore a bit, from whatever
the nominal value is, then increase the processor clock,
while the memory is set to "DDR266" (the 3:2 ratio). Perhaps
then, Prime95 will not error out.

If you plot some of the results from the cpudatabase
web page, and prepare a scatter plot in Excel, you'll see
at least a 500MHz spread on overclocking results, at a
given voltage. That means overclocking comes with
no guarantees.

Another setting you should adjust, is change the AGP/PCI
clock setting from [Auto] to [66.66/33.33]. This setting
prevents the BIOS from accidently overclocking the hub
clock that feeds the Northbridge. Overclocking the core
logic of the Northbridge is not necessary, in your quest
for a high overclock.

My overclocking conditions above would be considered to be
pretty conservative, so if you wish to live on the wild
side, consult the private forums for more info. Abxzone,
xtremesystems, pcper.com, etc.

HTH,
Paul

> In article <_fSdnT487fdKjtLfRVn-pA@golden.net>, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net>
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Paul
Thanks for the very detailed and compressive explanation. You have almost
made it too easy.
First I slowed the memory down to 3:2, upped the core voltage and ram
voltage a little and
then upped the FSB a little at a time until I reached 225. Anything higher
and it has problems with Prime95.
Then I returned the memory to 5:4 and then 1:1 and it looks it is very
stable at that speed.
Perhaps I need better cooling. (Stock Intel HSF ) but that will happen with
my next system
I ran Prime95 overnight error free, but the memory was still at 3:2. I will
run it again tonight with the memory at 1:1 and see how it does.
I have just one question, does it matter what the "Performance mode" is set
at? ( Standard, Turbo or Auto )
Thanks again for the help
Ken'

Paul

Splendid

In article <ebWdndImpIXlsM3fRVn-uQ@golden.net>, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote:

> > In article <_fSdnT487fdKjtLfRVn-pA@golden.net>, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net>
> >
> > HTH,
> > Paul

> Paul
> Thanks for the very detailed and compressive explanation. You have almost
> made it too easy.
> First I slowed the memory down to 3:2, upped the core voltage and ram
> voltage a little and
> then upped the FSB a little at a time until I reached 225. Anything higher
> and it has problems with Prime95.
> Then I returned the memory to 5:4 and then 1:1 and it looks it is very
> stable at that speed.
> Perhaps I need better cooling. (Stock Intel HSF ) but that will happen with
> my next system
> I ran Prime95 overnight error free, but the memory was still at 3:2. I will
> run it again tonight with the memory at 1:1 and see how it does.
> I have just one question, does it matter what the "Performance mode" is set
> at? ( Standard, Turbo or Auto )
> Thanks again for the help
> Ken'

I would try Standard. Turbo sets CAS to 2, which is fine if you
have CAS2 memory. No idea what Auto does - but if there is a chance
that Auto will be messing about, I'd stick with Standard.

Paul

Zorglub38 wrote:

> Personnaly, i use fanmate to reduce fan of chipset nforce 4 on asus
> a8n-sli deluxe. Asus q-fan reduce automatically 2000 to 800 rpm and max
> temp in full charge is 42°C.

I have to second that. I'm very happy with Q-fan controlling my 7700 the
same board with an FX-55. The fanspeed goes down to about a 1000rpm when
just using office apps, and up to 1800 when gaming. The speedup is
audible (the rest of my system is very quiet), but the fan of the
Leadtek card is a little more noisy, so I'm very pleased.

I used the fanmate for more control on my MCE2005 machine ;)

> [...]

Paul
Well I have tried all your suggestions and I am very happy with the results.
I am now running my Prescott 2.8MHz at 3.220MHz and with the memory at
1:1.
Both Prime95 and MemTest86 run error free. I could get it up higher with the
side of the case off and a small fan blowing on it, so I would like to
invest in a new case.
Again I wish to thank you for taking the time to help me.
Ken'