Block usage of neighbors network.

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
January 26, 2005 1:21:01 AM

I am running xp sp2 and have a linksys g router. I want to block internet
access during certain hours. I already have a time filter for my router
however, you can still access the internet using my neighbors wireless
network by selecting view available networks and selecting to connect to
their network. I have established admin and limited accounts but the limited
accounts can still access network connections and make changes. How can I
block usage of other available networks?
Thanks in advance for any advice
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 26, 2005 8:04:21 PM

XP allows you to block access to APs that aren't on your preferred list.
Make sure that your SSID is unique and add it to the list. You may have to
dig a bit into the wireless tab, but there is an option to only connect to
preferred networks.

Cheers,

--
Mark Gamache
Certified Security Solutions

"jsanchez" <jsanchez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running xp sp2 and have a linksys g router. I want to block internet
> access during certain hours. I already have a time filter for my router
> however, you can still access the internet using my neighbors wireless
> network by selecting view available networks and selecting to connect to
> their network. I have established admin and limited accounts but the
> limited
> accounts can still access network connections and make changes. How can I
> block usage of other available networks?
> Thanks in advance for any advice
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 27, 2005 1:41:00 AM

I would ask your neighbors to enable encryption on their access point,
citing security issues with open access points as well as your particular
situation.

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-

"jsanchez" <jsanchez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running xp sp2 and have a linksys g router. I want to block internet
> access during certain hours. I already have a time filter for my router
> however, you can still access the internet using my neighbors wireless
> network by selecting view available networks and selecting to connect to
> their network. I have established admin and limited accounts but the
limited
> accounts can still access network connections and make changes. How can I
> block usage of other available networks?
> Thanks in advance for any advice
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 27, 2005 1:41:01 AM

It they are not interested in locking down their AP, at least they
could do is MAC filter your network cards.

Search Goooogle key word "Hardening Windows XP"
Hardening Windows XP:
http://winxp.uwaterloo.ca/Documentation/Hardening_WXP.a...
http://www.its.caltech.edu/its/security/users/hardenxp....

The second site is targeted towards XP machines which are:
1. Not part of a domain,
2. Do not have a remote systems administrator,
3. Are not dual booting with another OS,
4. Not running any servers, and
5. Do not need to transfer files directly with Windows 95/98/ME
machines.

Good luck
Shawn

!