USB ports not working for camera or card reader

Boomer

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2003

I'm actually on my 3rd digital camera. Sent one back, another one got lost by
a guy I asked to test on his computer, and now another. THIS time I bought a
camera that came with a memory stick. I also bought a 4x card reader from
Kodak. I sent the camera to another person who loaded the pictures onto a
Thubdrive keychain memory.

I've tried the remove driver and reboot trick. I selected the mode to make
the power removal from the device must be commanded manually. The device
manager says all is working correctly. The device manager shows the kodak
card reader or the thumbdrive when they are connected. BUT My Computer does
NOT show either a camera when it's connected NOR does it show the thumbdrive
or card reader as removable memory. So I can't access any of the data or
download pictures.

I took the same thumbdrive down to my brother's new computer that also has
XP Home installed and his recognized the thumbdrive under My Computer right
away, so I burnt the pictures to a CD so I could use them.

I've read through every thread I could find on USBs here and none of it
seems to help. Any further suggestions? My wife told me to go buy the same
computer as my brother. Mine's under a year old with plenty of hard drive
(90% free) and internal memory (don't hear that often ;>) and I don't feel
like spending the money he did.

Boomer

Right click on My Computer and select Manage. on the following screen,
click on Disk Management. Does the Cad Reader appear now? If so, assign it a
drive letter.
www.coribright.com

"boomer" <boomer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm actually on my 3rd digital camera. Sent one back, another one got lost
> by
> a guy I asked to test on his computer, and now another. THIS time I bought
> camera that came with a memory stick. I also bought a 4x card reader from
> Kodak. I sent the camera to another person who loaded the pictures onto a
> Thubdrive keychain memory.
>
> I've tried the remove driver and reboot trick. I selected the mode to make
> the power removal from the device must be commanded manually. The device
> manager says all is working correctly. The device manager shows the kodak
> card reader or the thumbdrive when they are connected. BUT My Computer
> does
> NOT show either a camera when it's connected NOR does it show the
> thumbdrive
> or card reader as removable memory. So I can't access any of the data or
> download pictures.
>
> I took the same thumbdrive down to my brother's new computer that also has
> XP Home installed and his recognized the thumbdrive under My Computer
> right
> away, so I burnt the pictures to a CD so I could use them.
>
> I've read through every thread I could find on USBs here and none of it
> seems to help. Any further suggestions? My wife told me to go buy the same
> computer as my brother. Mine's under a year old with plenty of hard drive
> (90% free) and internal memory (don't hear that often ;>) and I don't feel
> like spending the money he did.
>
> Boomer

Paul

Splendid

Is the card reader internal?? Is it USB 2? 1.1?

Does it connect to a USB 2 header on the motherboard? Or is it external?

If it's USB 2, is SP1 installed? Also, it might be classed as a USB mass
storage device. Check and see if there is an option in BIOS for USB
mass storage device. If there is, enable it. Your bro might have
this option in his PC's BIOS. I use a 7-1 Apacer internal USB 2 reader
here. And XP picks it up as a mass storage device. It also has this
option in the BIOS. And shows the icons in My Computer. As removable
drives (J,K,L,M)