HP Deskjet 3550

I bought a HP 3550 series DeskJet printer. The computer I tried to
install in was a Intel 166+ 64mb+Win98FE and the setup refused to work
saying the computer does not meet the minimum requirements.

But the machine auto-detected the printer and I got it installed by
pointing to the inf files on the hardware installation dialog.

Later I installed the printer on my new machine Intel
Celeron2G+256mb+Win98SE meeting the requirements for installation, yet
I followed my earlier method under the auto-detection and hardware
installation.

In this installation on the printer properties dialog, in the services
tab - Service this device - the estimated ink levels tab and other
tabs are missing. Consequently while printing the Ink Levels dialog
does not show. I have installed the printer several times in both the
machines to check repeatability and find the same results.

What is lacking?

--
Sandy Archer
Reply to newsgroups only

On Sat, 22 May 2004 00:31:03 GMT, Ardent <iam@here.com> wrote:

>I bought a HP 3550 series DeskJet printer. The computer I tried to
>install in was a Intel 166+ 64mb+Win98FE and the setup refused to work
>saying the computer does not meet the minimum requirements.
>
>But the machine auto-detected the printer and I got it installed by
>pointing to the inf files on the hardware installation dialog.
>
>Later I installed the printer on my new machine Intel
>Celeron2G+256mb+Win98SE meeting the requirements for installation, yet
>I followed my earlier method under the auto-detection and hardware
>installation.

I forgot to mention that the supplied mobo setup programs refused to
work unless Win98 Second Edition was installed. So I had to go for SE.

>In this installation on the printer properties dialog, in the services
>tab - Service this device - the estimated ink levels tab and other
>tabs are missing. Consequently while printing the Ink Levels dialog
>does not show. I have installed the printer several times in both the
>machines to check repeatability and find the same results.

Funny - I cheated the new mobo and forced installation of Win98 First
Edition. Then when I installed HP 3550 printer the tabs were there.

It looks as if there something in Win98 Second Edition that results in
an incomplete installation.

--
Sandy Archer
Reply to newsgroups only

On Sat, 22 May 2004 00:31:03 GMT, Ardent <iam@here.com> wrote:

>I bought a HP 3550 series DeskJet printer. The computer I tried to
>install in was a Intel 166+ 64mb+Win98FE and the setup refused to work
>saying the computer does not meet the minimum requirements.
>
>But the machine auto-detected the printer and I got it installed by
>pointing to the inf files on the hardware installation dialog.
>
>Later I installed the printer on my new machine Intel
>Celeron2G+256mb+Win98SE meeting the requirements for installation, yet
>I followed my earlier method under the auto-detection and hardware
>installation.
>
>In this installation on the printer properties dialog, in the services
>tab - Service this device - the estimated ink levels tab and other
>tabs are missing. Consequently while printing the Ink Levels dialog
>does not show. I have installed the printer several times in both the
>machines to check repeatability and find the same results.
>
>What is lacking?

Processing power.