Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 CD problem

Last response: in Windows 7
January 27, 2011 9:50:22 PM

I'm having a problem ripping cds in every program I use. Both Windows Media Player and Realplayer don't work.

I have the following system:
Windows 7
Dell Inspiron 14Z
Optiarc DVD+- RW AD-7580S

My DVD player is also having problems detecting CDs, both old and new. But, when they do detect them, not only can't I rip any CD, I also can't play a CD either. On another forum, I was advised to delete the UpperFilters (and LowerFilters if there wasn't any UpperFilters) from the registry. That does seem to have helped the recognition problem, but it hasn't solved the ripping/play problem.

More about : windows problem

January 27, 2011 10:20:12 PM

It looks like you might have a hardware issue, but you might want to do a Windows Update to see if updating the drivers will help.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team
m
l
January 27, 2011 11:39:21 PM

I've tried that. The only clue I have is that my computer's DVD ROM worked fine until I put DVDFab Passkey on my computer. I first had the problem months back, but the DVD ROM had been working fine a few months before I put that software August/September 2010. I've unstalled that software, but the issue remains.
m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2011 12:01:25 AM

Oh, I used DVDFab Pass Key, as at the time I didn't have a regular DVD player, and buy disks from all regions, as in Australia, we don't have region locked DVD players, so needed region free software to allow me to play those disks. My DVD ROM is Optiarc DVD+- RW AD-7580S.
m
l
January 29, 2011 1:59:23 AM

I've tried both that and downloading the firmware, but still not ripping. And, just noticed that Sony make the drive, so that explains it's non functioning. I think I'll have to consider replacing the optical drive, as every thing I've tried to date hasn't worked.
m
l
January 29, 2011 2:32:15 AM

Update: Windows Media Player is ripping, but it's so slow (ie more than 10mins for 1 track), so I probably will look into replacing the drive. Thanks for all your help.
m
l
!