SATA drives and Windows XP

I am having trouble with Windows XP installing on SATA
hard drives. I created a drivers diskette, so when
Windows begins to install, I press F6 and point it to the
A: drive. It lists all the drivers available and I choose
the one for XP. When XP gets to the point when it shows
the hard drives available for installation, it says that
there are no local drives available. I have confirmed the
installation of the drives by checking them through the
BIOS configurations....the BIOS recognizes that the HD is
there. What other options do I have? Thanks!

Rodney
12 answers Last reply
More about sata drives windows

    How many SATA's do you have Rod?

    You really only need the drivers if you use RAID 0 or 1.

    If you only have 1 SATA dont bother with trying to install
    drivers with the clean install. Just let XP format the hdd and install
    XP on it. It SHOULD work.

    "Rodney L" <rodney@lynxmultimedia.com> wrote in message
    >I am having trouble with Windows XP installing on SATA
    > hard drives. I created a drivers diskette, so when
    > Windows begins to install, I press F6 and point it to the
    > A: drive. It lists all the drivers available and I choose
    > the one for XP. When XP gets to the point when it shows
    > the hard drives available for installation, it says that
    > there are no local drives available. I have confirmed the
    > installation of the drives by checking them through the
    > BIOS configurations....the BIOS recognizes that the HD is
    > there. What other options do I have? Thanks!
    >
    > Rodney

    Oh install SP1 after you install XP. That might help too.

    "Rodney L" <rodney@lynxmultimedia.com> wrote in message
    >I am having trouble with Windows XP installing on SATA
    > hard drives. I created a drivers diskette, so when
    > Windows begins to install, I press F6 and point it to the
    > A: drive. It lists all the drivers available and I choose
    > the one for XP. When XP gets to the point when it shows
    > the hard drives available for installation, it says that
    > there are no local drives available. I have confirmed the
    > installation of the drives by checking them through the
    > BIOS configurations....the BIOS recognizes that the HD is
    > there. What other options do I have? Thanks!
    >
    > Rodney

    Might as well skip SP1 and go with SP2, don't you think?

    Paul wrote:
    > Oh install SP1 after you install XP. That might help too.
    >
    > "Rodney L" <rodney@lynxmultimedia.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I am having trouble with Windows XP installing on SATA
    >>hard drives. I created a drivers diskette, so when
    >>Windows begins to install, I press F6 and point it to the
    >>A: drive. It lists all the drivers available and I choose
    >>the one for XP. When XP gets to the point when it shows
    >>the hard drives available for installation, it says that
    >>there are no local drives available. I have confirmed the
    >>installation of the drives by checking them through the
    >>BIOS configurations....the BIOS recognizes that the HD is
    >>there. What other options do I have? Thanks!
    >>
    >>Rodney

    Thanks....but, I'm trying to install XP on a brand new,
    unformatted drive. I'm booting from my CD and then trying
    to get XP installed.

    Any ideas? Thanks!

    How big's the drive. I believe XP has a problem with oversized drives
    until you install SP1 or SP2.

    > Thanks....but, I'm trying to install XP on a brand new,
    > unformatted drive. I'm booting from my CD and then trying
    > to get XP installed.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks!

    Yup u do a clean install. Chuck the CD in make it the boot device in the
    BIOS.
    Save the settings in the BIOS. Reboot.

    So it boots from the CD. XP's CD should be bootable. And should install
    straight from CD till XP finishes installing. Yup until you install SP1
    or SP2, XP may not see a hdd bigger than 131 or something mb.

    I cant remember the exact size. BUT yup, if u have SP2 now install it
    after installing XP. It may pay to also format in NTFS than Fat32.

    "Airman QPD" <airman_basic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How big's the drive. I believe XP has a problem with oversized drives
    > until you install SP1 or SP2.
    >
    > anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
    >> Thanks....but, I'm trying to install XP on a brand new, unformatted
    >> drive. I'm booting from my CD and then trying to get XP installed.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? Thanks!

    Oops, after u chuck the CD in, you'll see a message saying press a key
    down the bottom of the screen. Press a key. XP will start installing.

    It'll reboot a few more times after this. (It will also say press a key
    everytime
    the XP install tells you it's rebooting).

    DON'T press a key AGAIN (everytime it reboots).

    Leave it so it continues installing XP.

    If you keep on pressing a key everytime it reboots, it'll start installing
    XP
    all over again from scratch. And you'll be there forever!

    "Paul" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
    > Yup u do a clean install. Chuck the CD in make it the boot device in the
    > BIOS.
    > Save the settings in the BIOS. Reboot.
    >
    > So it boots from the CD. XP's CD should be bootable. And should install
    > straight from CD till XP finishes installing. Yup until you install SP1
    > or SP2, XP may not see a hdd bigger than 131 or something mb.
    >
    > I cant remember the exact size. BUT yup, if u have SP2 now install it
    > after installing XP. It may pay to also format in NTFS than Fat32.
    >

    > "Airman QPD" <airman_basic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> How big's the drive. I believe XP has a problem with oversized drives
    >> until you install SP1 or SP2.
    >>
    >> anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
    >>> Thanks....but, I'm trying to install XP on a brand new, unformatted
    >>> drive. I'm booting from my CD and then trying to get XP installed.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas? Thanks!

    My HD is 160G. Since I can't get XP to recognize the
    drive, how can I get SP1 or SP2 on it? It's during the
    DOS-based install that it says no drives are installed.

    How are you trying to install XP Rod? You DON'T do it
    thru DOS. (DON'T use a floppy that has been formatted with DOS on it).

    You boot directly from CD. Chuck the CD in the CDROM. Boot up
    and go into the BIOS. Change the bootdisk to CD. Then save the settings.

    Then let the CD boot by itself (NOT with a floppy or via the disk drive).

    Once you see the message " press key to continue" down the bottom
    left of the screen. Press a key and XP will install. As I said before
    everytime the XP install tells you its rebooting. DON'T press anymore
    keys. Let it do its thing. And XP will finish installing onto the hard
    drive.

    Once you get to the XP install screen, tell it to FORMAT in NTFS.
    And it'll format the hdd and then install XP onto it. (Once XP has installed

    The only other thing I can think of (why its not working), is the
    connection (if the SATA connection is on the motherboard), or on a PCI card.
    That connection DOESN'T include the power to run it. You HAVE TO get an
    adapter for the power to the SATA and connect it to a spare MOLEX power
    connection, in order for it to work. (so it has power going to it).

    "RodneyL" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My HD is 160G. Since I can't get XP to recognize the
    > drive, how can I get SP1 or SP2 on it? It's during the
    > DOS-based install that it says no drives are installed.

    Also, there is a limit to 137 GB if the XP Install CD doesn't have at
    least Service Pack 1 slipstreamed into it. I would suggest downloading
    the network install of Service Pack 2 and slipstream it to make a WinXP
    SP2 CD. Then install from that. I have an SATA drive that the XP Setup
    recognizes just fine. Your chipset may not be supported the way mine
    is. Generally speaking you only need to use F6 if you have RAID
    drivers, but yours may require more work. I would double check all of
    the BIOS settings. In my BIOS, I have to have SATA Enhanced enabled in
    order to get it to work right.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Paul wrote:
    > How are you trying to install XP Rod? You DON'T do it
    > thru DOS. (DON'T use a floppy that has been formatted with DOS on it).
    >
    > You boot directly from CD. Chuck the CD in the CDROM. Boot up
    > and go into the BIOS. Change the bootdisk to CD. Then save the settings.
    >
    > Then let the CD boot by itself (NOT with a floppy or via the disk drive).
    >
    > Once you see the message " press key to continue" down the bottom
    > left of the screen. Press a key and XP will install. As I said before
    > everytime the XP install tells you its rebooting. DON'T press anymore
    > keys. Let it do its thing. And XP will finish installing onto the hard
    > drive.
    >
    > Once you get to the XP install screen, tell it to FORMAT in NTFS.
    > And it'll format the hdd and then install XP onto it. (Once XP has installed
    >
    > The only other thing I can think of (why its not working), is the
    > connection (if the SATA connection is on the motherboard), or on a PCI card.
    > That connection DOESN'T include the power to run it. You HAVE TO get an
    > adapter for the power to the SATA and connect it to a spare MOLEX power
    > connection, in order for it to work. (so it has power going to it).
    >

    > "RodneyL" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>My HD is 160G. Since I can't get XP to recognize the
    >>drive, how can I get SP1 or SP2 on it? It's during the
    >>DOS-based install that it says no drives are installed.

    I've read on these gere groups that all STA controllers are not alike,
    others XP recognizes automatically, for others you need the drivers (F6 at
    beginning of CD boot). But you don't use RAID drivers from the floppy unless
    you've made a RAID array.
    There should be single drive drivers on that floppy too.....

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

SATA Hard Drives Windows XP