New to Raid

hi group,

What good resources are there for how to set up raid? Just got A7V from
friend with the Promise raid controller.

You need the book that came with the motherboard. Promise won't even talk to
you about on-board raid controllers and from my experience, Asus won't talk
to you about anything. It's all in the booklet and it's pretty easy to
understand
"DaveJr" <davesbrain@qwest.net> wrote in message
> hi group,
>
> What good resources are there for how to set up raid? Just got A7V from
> friend with the Promise raid controller.

All I have is the is the 'pdf' manual I downloaded from asus. Specs and
jumper settup and such.

> You need the book that came with the motherboard. Promise won't even talk
> you about on-board raid controllers and from my experience, Asus won't
talk
> to you about anything. It's all in the booklet and it's pretty easy to
> understand

Paul

Splendid

In article <wcT3e.6$D53.99@news.uswest.net>, "DaveJr"
<davesbrain@qwest.net> wrote:

> hi group,
>
> What good resources are there for how to set up raid? Just got A7V from
> friend with the Promise raid controller.

The A7V PDF manual I have here, doesn't have a section on the RAID.

This link suggests the A7V133 motherboard uses the same Promise chip.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020724132637/http://www.lumberjacker.de/Downloads/downloads.html

in which case, download this manual and see section 5.4 . At
least this will give you some hints on how to use it.

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/kt133a/a7v133/a7v133-105.pdf

You can see some differences here, between Fasttrak Lite RAID and
normal Fasttrak RAID, as seen on a separate Promise controller card.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=SBf28.1042%24gW4.958395%40news1.rdc1.mi.home.com

The Lumberjacker hacked BIOS are archived here.

http://www.storage-raid-forum.de/download/?url=&cid=2

To see what a Promise manual looks like, here is a sample.
Chapter 4 shows the BIOS setup. I don't know if this manual
exactly corresponds to the chip on your board, but it is the
best I can find now. There may have been more stuff on the
Promise site which has been moved or removed.

ftp://ftp.promise.com/Controllers/IDE/FastTrak/Manual/FastTrak.zip

You might also want to do a Google search and see whether this
chip was reliable, and what versions of RAID BIOS worked best
with it. I don't know if there were any problems or not, but
since it is your data, you may want to look into it before
putting valuable data on there.

HTH,
Paul

"DaveJr" <davesbrain@qwest.net> writes:
> hi group,
> What good resources are there for how to set up raid? Just got A7V from
> friend with the Promise raid controller.

Speaking from memory of my experience with the P4T533:

* Copy the Promise MBFastTrack Lite 133 drivers from the ASUS CD to a
floppy disk.

* Connect up a pair of drives to the onboard raid connectors and set
the onboard jumper for raid.

* Boot the system and hit <ctrl-F> to enter the FastTrack RAID
configuration utility and configure either RAID 0 or RAID 1.

* I had a pair of Maxtor ULTRA ATA 133 drives, so I booted into the
MaxBlast CD and partitioned and formatted the drive for NTFS.

* I then re-booted into the WinXP setup disk with the drivers disk I
made above in the floppy drive.

* Hit F6 to tell WinXP to load the additional drivers from the floppy.

* Hit S to select exactly which adapter driver to load.

* Finished the install and set the BIOS to boot from the "SCSI/ATA"
adapter.

I can't imagine that it's too much different for other onboard Promise
RAID controllers.

Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com> Phone: (760) 499-9142
President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152

This is an A7V rev.1.02 board. And I have no mobo driver cd. I bought it
from a friend with an Athlon 950 and 512ram for a whopping $20.

> Speaking from memory of my experience with the P4T533:
>
> * Copy the Promise MBFastTrack Lite 133 drivers from the ASUS CD to a
> floppy disk.
>
> * Connect up a pair of drives to the onboard raid connectors and set
> the onboard jumper for raid.
>
> * Boot the system and hit <ctrl-F> to enter the FastTrack RAID
> configuration utility and configure either RAID 0 or RAID 1.
>
> * I had a pair of Maxtor ULTRA ATA 133 drives, so I booted into the
> MaxBlast CD and partitioned and formatted the drive for NTFS.
>
> * I then re-booted into the WinXP setup disk with the drivers disk I
> made above in the floppy drive.
>
> * Hit F6 to tell WinXP to load the additional drivers from the floppy.
>
> * Hit S to select exactly which adapter driver to load.
>
> * Finished the install and set the BIOS to boot from the "SCSI/ATA"
> adapter.
>
> I can't imagine that it's too much different for other onboard Promise
> RAID controllers.
>
> --
> Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA 93556-1412
> Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com> Phone: (760) 499-9142
> President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152
> My GPG fingerprint: C3AF 4BE9 BEA6 F1C2 B084 4A88 8851 E6C8 69E3 B00B

Well, then download the drivers from ASUS's website. AFAICT, whatever
is on the ASUS CD can be found on their website... latest versions, too!