Vcore Over on P4C800 - D

Asus Probe, Aida32 and CPU-Z are all reporting that my motherboard is
over-volting the vcore. Values vary from time to time between 1.584 -
1.616. The max value, according to Intel is 1.55v. The processor is a 3.2
ghz 800 FSB Northwood P4.

The BIOS is AMI 1016.001 which, according to ASUS, is appropriate for this
processor. The settings are at auto / standard.

The manual states that vcore is adjustable between 1.475 and 1.600 volts.
However, when I go to set the value manually, nothing less than 1.55 volts
is available. Manually setting the value to 1.55 v does not change the
readout values.

Is this a problem? Is it possible that the processor may be damaged by this
voltage?

Paul

Splendid

In article <LvydnRmZ66UIl83fRVn-ig@comcast.com>, "Gert B. Frob"
<sbrentcarter@spaminator.net> wrote:

> Asus Probe, Aida32 and CPU-Z are all reporting that my motherboard is
> over-volting the vcore. Values vary from time to time between 1.584 -
> 1.616. The max value, according to Intel is 1.55v. The processor is a 3.2
> ghz 800 FSB Northwood P4.
>
> The BIOS is AMI 1016.001 which, according to ASUS, is appropriate for this
> processor. The settings are at auto / standard.
>
> The manual states that vcore is adjustable between 1.475 and 1.600 volts.
> However, when I go to set the value manually, nothing less than 1.55 volts
> is available. Manually setting the value to 1.55 v does not change the
> readout values.
>
> Is this a problem? Is it possible that the processor may be damaged by this
> voltage?

There are many different models of processors, and you have to
pick the appropriate datasheet and get the value from there.

http://developer.intel.com/design/Pentium4/documentation.htm

Your processor is documented in the link labelled:

"Intel Pentium 4 Processor with 512-KB L2 Cache on 0.13 Micron
Process and Intel Pentium 4 Processor Extreme Edition Supporting
Hyper-Threading ÝDatasheet"

http://developer.intel.com/design/pentium4/datashts/298643.htm

The actual datasheet is here:
ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/29864312.pdf

(The spec update will give you other information about the features
supported by your particular processor.

http://developer.intel.com/design/pentium4/specupdt/249199.htm )

On page 23 of 29864312.pdf, absolute max is 1.75V.

The allowed voltage variation versus load current (the "load line")
is shown on page 29. Figure 2-4 says basically it is OK for the
voltage to vary a bit on the low side of the nominal VID.

The nominal VID value for the voltage, may be printed on the
label on the retail Intel processor box. If the processor is a
"multiple VID" unit, the value will not be printed. The datasheet
has possible values listed for how the VID may be set. For those
units, looking at the value in the BIOS, when Vcore is set to
[Auto], might be one way to determine the value encoded on the
VID pins.

It seems to be normal for the Asus monitoring circuit to be reading
a voltage slightly higher than the one you would expect. For
example, people with old AMD boards, normally see 0.048V more
than the nominal value, when the processor is idling. It is hard
to say whether Asus, on purpose, gives the processor a little
more (as part of load compensation tricks), or the monitoring IC
is just not very accurate. As long as the processor is not getting
close to "Absolute Max", the only consequence of a little extra
voltage, is a little extra heat.

In the case of some processors, the processor will crash before
it reaches Absolute Max. I have a Barton XP-M, and it won't POST
if the voltage is too high. So, in fact, there is no guarantee
that a processor will function, all the way up to Absolute Max.
A processor can be run at less than Absolute Max, without being
damaged, yet be unable to boot. Absolute Max is the value at
which permanent damage may occur (and the damage rating may be
a 100,000 hour rating, meaning the damage may take years to
accumulate). The extent to which you exceed Absolute Max may
determine how long a processor will last.

For example, it has been posted in the past, that if you run a
Tualatin 1.5V processor at 1.8V, when the Absolute Max is 1.75V,
it will last for a month or so.

HTH,
Paul

> [...]
> close to "Absolute Max", the only consequence of a little extra
> voltage, is a little extra heat.
>
> In the case of some processors, the processor will crash before
> it reaches Absolute Max. I have a Barton XP-M, and it won't POST
> if the voltage is too high. So, in fact, there is no guarantee
> that a processor will function, all the way up to Absolute Max.
> A processor can be run at less than Absolute Max, without being
> damaged, yet be unable to boot. Absolute Max is the value at
> which permanent damage may occur (and the damage rating may be
> a 100,000 hour rating, meaning the damage may take years to
> accumulate). The extent to which you exceed Absolute Max may
> determine how long a processor will last.
>
> For example, it has been posted in the past, that if you run a
> Tualatin 1.5V processor at 1.8V, when the Absolute Max is 1.75V,

Paul,

The max value, stated on the package, is 1.55v. I have read that ASUS
intentionally bumps up the voltage by as much as .058 which would make it
1.608. The monitors generally reflect 1.616 and sometimes drop to 1.58. I
don't believe it has ever exceeded the 1.616 value.

I suppose this is comfortably below 1.75 and I am having no heat issues.

Would you say to forget about it?

Paul

Splendid

In article <0bOdnUPfMrukr83fRVn-uw@comcast.com>, "Gert B. Frob"
<sbrentcarter@spaminator.net> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> The max value, stated on the package, is 1.55v. I have read that ASUS
> intentionally bumps up the voltage by as much as .058 which would make it
> 1.608. The monitors generally reflect 1.616 and sometimes drop to 1.58. I
> don't believe it has ever exceeded the 1.616 value.
>
> I suppose this is comfortably below 1.75 and I am having no heat issues.
>
> Would you say to forget about it?

Yes :)

Paul

> In article <0bOdnUPfMrukr83fRVn-uw@comcast.com>, "Gert B. Frob"
> <sbrentcarter@spaminator.net> wrote:
>

> > Paul,
> >
> > The max value, stated on the package, is 1.55v. I have read that ASUS
> > intentionally bumps up the voltage by as much as .058 which would make
it
> > 1.608. The monitors generally reflect 1.616 and sometimes drop to 1.58.
> > don't believe it has ever exceeded the 1.616 value.
> >
> > I suppose this is comfortably below 1.75 and I am having no heat issues.
> >
> > Would you say to forget about it?
>
> Yes :)
>
> Paul

Well, that's that then. Thanks!