network repair option fails after SP2

SP2 brings a nice improvement, the windows shows what is being repaired, but
if in conclusion repair fails,
there is no indication which test caused the failure, or is there a log file
somewhere ?
ms kb 289256 says what is being tested, with an addition for SP1,
but when i repeat this line by line no error is evident, so sp2 seems have
added another line / test. -
which command ??? anybody know ? -
another question: can the list of commands - being used by network /
repair - be edited by a user ?
(with all my customers on all systems the repair option now fails
consistently, everything else works fine)

Len

Does it work after you have disabled the MS firewall? I have no problems
with running the repair on my SP2 machine... but have disabled the new
firewall version as well.

FWIW,
Len

"Hippolyt P. Meles" <hippolyt_meles@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> SP2 brings a nice improvement, the windows shows what is being repaired,
> but
> if in conclusion repair fails,
> there is no indication which test caused the failure, or is there a log
> file
> somewhere ?
> ms kb 289256 says what is being tested, with an addition for SP1,
> but when i repeat this line by line no error is evident, so sp2 seems have
> added another line / test. -
> which command ??? anybody know ? -
> another question: can the list of commands - being used by network /
> repair - be edited by a user ?
> (with all my customers on all systems the repair option now fails
> consistently, everything else works fine)

Let me guess, wireless adapter and it says it could not disable the
wireless network adapter? This is usually because of 3rd party software
installed with the adapter or their drivers don't support it being
disabled in this manner. You should be able to do this though. Click
Start-Run-Type cmd and click OK. Now type ipconfig /release and click
enter. Now type ipconfig /renew and click Enter. That should do the
same thing for you.

----
Nathan McNulty

Len wrote:
> Does it work after you have disabled the MS firewall? I have no problems
> with running the repair on my SP2 machine... but have disabled the new
> firewall version as well.
>
> FWIW,
> Len
>
> "Hippolyt P. Meles" <hippolyt_meles@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>SP2 brings a nice improvement, the windows shows what is being repaired,
>>but
>>if in conclusion repair fails,
>>there is no indication which test caused the failure, or is there a log
>>file
>>somewhere ?
>>ms kb 289256 says what is being tested, with an addition for SP1,
>>but when i repeat this line by line no error is evident, so sp2 seems have
>>added another line / test. -
>>which command ??? anybody know ? -
>>another question: can the list of commands - being used by network /
>>repair - be edited by a user ?
>>(with all my customers on all systems the repair option now fails
>>consistently, everything else works fine)

thank you - wireless: no, nowhere - cmd: ipconfig /renew also fails
consistently,
however cmd: ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew always works
well. mysterious...

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Let me guess, wireless adapter and it says it could not disable the
> wireless network adapter? This is usually because of 3rd party software
> installed with the adapter or their drivers don't support it being
> disabled in this manner. You should be able to do this though. Click
> Start-Run-Type cmd and click OK. Now type ipconfig /release and click
> enter. Now type ipconfig /renew and click Enter. That should do the
> same thing for you.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Len wrote:
> > Does it work after you have disabled the MS firewall? I have no
problems
> > with running the repair on my SP2 machine... but have disabled the new
> > firewall version as well.
> >
> > FWIW,
> > Len
> >
> > "Hippolyt P. Meles" <hippolyt_meles@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>SP2 brings a nice improvement, the windows shows what is being repaired,
> >>but
> >>if in conclusion repair fails,
> >>there is no indication which test caused the failure, or is there a log
> >>file
> >>somewhere ?
> >>ms kb 289256 says what is being tested, with an addition for SP1,
> >>but when i repeat this line by line no error is evident, so sp2 seems
have
> >>added another line / test. -
> >>which command ??? anybody know ? -
> >>another question: can the list of commands - being used by network /
> >>repair - be edited by a user ?
> >>(with all my customers on all systems the repair option now fails
> >>consistently, everything else works fine)

That may be the fault of the driver for your network adapter. I have
reproduced this exact error on several computers, all of which belonged
to wireless networks. This is the first time I have heard of it on a
non-wireless network card. I would check and see if there are any
updated drivers for your NIC. ipconfig /release flushes all of the
information out and ipconfig /renew grabs the information from the
server/router. It may be having difficulties overwriting the existing
network information which is why it only works by doing /release first ;)

----
Nathan McNulty