Intel 82850-E Chipset

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

Dell Dimension. Pentium 4. It came with RDRAM. My question is, does
this motherboard/chipset support basic DDR SDRAM? Or, is it exclusively
built for RDRAM? (which has basically vanished from existence)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

If it came with Rambus, you're stuck with it. I would think you can get a
memory upgrade through Dell though
"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dell Dimension. Pentium 4. It came with RDRAM. My question is, does
> this motherboard/chipset support basic DDR SDRAM? Or, is it exclusively
> built for RDRAM? (which has basically vanished from existence)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1112582121.111339.320660@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Dell Dimension. Pentium 4. It came with RDRAM. My question is, does
> this motherboard/chipset support basic DDR SDRAM?

No.

> Or, is it exclusively
> built for RDRAM? (which has basically vanished from existence)

Try at http://www.4allmemory.com

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

That's what I was hoping wasn't the case. It's a shame RDRAM didn't
catch wind. I suppose it was before it's time.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dell Dimension. Pentium 4. It came with RDRAM. My question is, does
> this motherboard/chipset support basic DDR SDRAM? Or, is it exclusively
> built for RDRAM? (which has basically vanished from existence)

Rambus is still available.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

"aether" wrote in message...
> That's what I was hoping wasn't the case.

Them's the breaks.

> It's a shame RDRAM didn't catch wind.

No, it's far better for both the PC industry and computer owners that it
died on its arse. Unfortunate for you and the other Rambus PC owners maybe,
but them's the breaks.

> I suppose it was before it's time.

Not remotely. It was a somewhat flawed technology driven by a greedy,
notoriously litigious intellectual property firm. Intel made a major mistake
in adopting it, and backtracked as soon as their agreement with Rambus Inc.
allowed them to.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

> I suppose it was before it's time.
Not the case. It was a case of lawyer greed at its worst.

--
Pepe
Milano, Italy

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

It uses RDRAM only.

--
DaveW

"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.com> wrote in message

> "aether" wrote in message...
> > That's what I was hoping wasn't the case.
>
> Them's the breaks.
>
> > It's a shame RDRAM didn't catch wind.
>
> No, it's far better for both the PC industry and computer owners that it
> died on its arse. Unfortunate for you and the other Rambus PC owners
maybe,
> but them's the breaks.
>
> > I suppose it was before it's time.
>
> Not remotely. It was a somewhat flawed technology driven by a greedy,
> notoriously litigious intellectual property firm. Intel made a major
mistake
> in adopting it, and backtracked as soon as their agreement with Rambus
Inc.
> allowed them to.

The proof is in the pudding. Quad rambus will be used in game consoles,
because it is much faster than DDR, DDR2, or any other super-duper-matched
pair-low-latency DDR (that PC enthusiasts shell out premium bucks for, to
squeeze out an extra smidgen of performance), when it comes to streaming
large amounts of data.

In January of 2001, the price of rambus was ~ the same as DDR, per megabyte.
If you wanted real memory performance, rambus would always win over DDR (at
the time, there was no DDR system that could dome within a factor of 3 of
rambus for my own particular benchmarks). But the enthusiast tide turned,
and DDR prices eventually followed the laws of economics. Manufacturing
prices eventually fall with electronics, the more an item becomes commodity.

Four years have passed, and the fastest AMD DDR system I was able to afford
is 2.15 times faster -- for my memory-intensive programs -- than the 1.4 GHz
P4 rambus system I put together in 2001. I have absolutely no doubt that
quad rambus, with the new fast access times, would give me a much better
performance boost.

I've had two rambus and three DDR systems. The latter are much quirkier for
memory tuning. I simply put together my asus rambus system (2nd P4) with
inexpensive vanilla memory, overclocked 10%, and have been running it for
3.5 years. I've had to futz and futz with the DDR systems to get any
increment.

While I can appreciate that people were irritated by the rambus company
litigiousness, I can also appreciate that people seemed rather blind to how
common this sort of shenanigan is in the corporate world, especially when a
company's stock values begin to tumble.

"H.W. Stockman" <stockman3@earth-REMOVE_THIS-link.net> wrote in message

> The proof is in the pudding. Quad rambus will be used in game consoles,
> because it is much faster than DDR, DDR2, or any other super-duper-matched
> pair-low-latency DDR (that PC enthusiasts shell out premium bucks for, to
> squeeze out an extra smidgen of performance), when it comes to streaming
> large amounts of data.

Actually, rambus is preferred in game consoles because you can get high
performance without having to have large amounts of memory. For PCs, you are
going to have lots of memory anyway.

DS

"David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com> wrote in message

> "H.W. Stockman" <stockman3@earth-REMOVE_THIS-link.net> wrote in message
>
> > The proof is in the pudding. Quad rambus will be used in game consoles,
> > because it is much faster than DDR, DDR2, or any other
super-duper-matched
> > pair-low-latency DDR (that PC enthusiasts shell out premium bucks for,
> > squeeze out an extra smidgen of performance), when it comes to streaming
> > large amounts of data.
>
> Actually, rambus is preferred in game consoles because you can get
high
> performance without having to have large amounts of memory. For PCs, you
are
> going to have lots of memory anyway.

I bought 1 GB rambus pc800 for each of two P4s in 2001. The cost of the
memory was a small part of the total system cost (I believe it was $400/GB
for the second system, in Nov 2001). If rambus had ever achieved widespread
popularity, it would be as cheap as DDR today (possibly cheaper, since you
would not have to pay a premium price for super-duper rambus).

Que sera, sera. That's not what happened, and I just hope that DDR2, or
DDR4, or whatever it takes, will match the potential of rambus. Perhaps the
change needs to occur in the CPUs now, with more robust and multiple buses
(as are supposed to be available with the newer xeons/chipsets).