_T_A_W_

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
Ok I am looking to bridge 2 seperate ethernet networks together using a windows 2000 server with 2 NIC's. My primary network has a router for my DSL line with computers while my secondary network has just computers. Both networks are connected by one switch each. Yes I know it isn't nesessary but the server board has 2 NIC's and I wanted to do something different. Now I am going to explain in bloody detail the network settings and what I want the router to do.

What I want to be able to do is have the server act as a transparent "bridge" between the two networks using TCP/IP. Another way to put it is I want it to appear as if the router doesent even exist and both networks appear as one network with computers on both networks able to communicate with one another seamlessly.

Here are gory network details:
Internet router is a simple Linux NAT box with an ip of 192.168.0.2 and is connected to the primary network.

Windows 2000 router has 2 NIC's:
NIC 1 is connected to primary network, IP: 192.168.0.1
NIC 2 is connected to secondary net, IP: 192.168.0.7

Workstation 1 is connected to primary net, IP: 192.168.0.11
Workstation 2 is connected to secondary net IP: 192.168.0.12

Now I want to setup static routes so workstation 2 can ping, use network shares, connect to internet through Internet router. And workstation 1 can do the same. Also the windows 2000 server will be a file server as well.
What confuses me is the static routes and what all the interface, destination, net mask, gateway and metric fields mean. Also can I do this with the IP's I listed? Also all subnet settings for every adapter is 255.255.255.0

The gateway is the IP addres between the network and the outside world, so to speak. Usually the IP address on the LAN side of a router or similar. In this case the primary network's gateway would be the router, and the secondary network's one would be the 2nd NIC on said PC, I think. That or the router.

Metrics:- Set to 1

Interface is a NIC; usually a six hex number (00:0E:00:EA:DC:04) or whatever. It's the MAC address of the NIC and you can get it from ipconfig/all.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink: