Sign in with
Your question

Stupid question about OEM

Last response: in Windows 7
October 30, 2009 12:41:41 AM

Ok so Im planning on installing the OEM version of Windows 7 Ulitmate on my system but I have one question. From what I have read you can "Only use the disk once" meaning for one install on one system. Does this mean that if at a later date I wanted to do a clean install on the same system it would NOT work? :heink: 

More about : stupid question oem

a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2009 12:53:25 AM

You may re-install a OEM version on the same computer and reactivate it with no problem. If you change some components, you may have to call microsoft, but when on the same computer - it's just a formality.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 30, 2009 4:56:15 AM

You can use the disc as many times and on as many machines as you want. It's the license key that can only be used on one system.
m
l
Related resources
October 30, 2009 4:26:45 PM

Hi,
the only thing, it's happen to me 2 or 3 times, when you re-install because of change part, you will have to contact Microsoft to obtain a new liscence number. that's the only problem.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2009 7:28:37 PM

There is no limit to thee number of times you can reinstall on the same computer and hardware, so long as you don't reinstall more then about 3 times in a 6 months period it will reactivate on line. Too many reinstalations and activations in a short space of time will require a phone call to Microsoft to get it reactivated.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2009 8:02:45 PM

I have done a dozen reinstalls of XP when trying to diagnose a driver issue w/o MS giving me headaches. Dunno if Win7 follows suit. Again, w/ XP, you had to change 6 things before activation became an issue.
m
l
!