A8N SLI Delux

Hi folks
I am giong to buy an A8N SLI Delux mobo plus a Zalman 7700cu cooler and I
was wondering if there is any problems with clearance of the fins,
especially around the memory slots. I'm looking at putting Corsair
Twinx1024-3200xl pro memory with the bigger heat spreader on.

Second question.

I'm thinking of putting 2Gb (4 x 512mb) of memory on. Is there any issues
using that config with this mobo.

Thnx in advance
Dave
5 answers Last reply
More about delux

    On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 05:05:13 GMT, "Dave" <dt2k@blueyREMOVEonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hi folks
    >I am giong to buy an A8N SLI Delux mobo plus a Zalman 7700cu cooler and I
    >was wondering if there is any problems with clearance of the fins,
    >especially around the memory slots. I'm looking at putting Corsair
    >Twinx1024-3200xl pro memory with the bigger heat spreader on.

    posted here last month....
    Im using the A8N SLi Deluxes with an FX-55 and a Zalman 7700Cu
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus/messages/d2e8eb4cfa2b8079,21a8ebc3e3bad731,29766730b5480be0,8638db2131cad4cd?thread_id=5972e7b81c39d69b&mode=thread&noheader=1&q=7700cu+A8N#doc_8638db2131cad4cd

    >Second question.
    >
    >I'm thinking of putting 2Gb (4 x 512mb) of memory on. Is there any issues
    >using that config with this mobo.

    You may have to lower command rate to 2T.
    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358&p=5

    >Thnx in advance
    >Dave

    Ed

    In article <dW34e.24455$r47.1392@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, "Dave"
    <dt2k@blueyREMOVEonder.co.uk> wrote:

    > Hi folks
    > I am giong to buy an A8N SLI Delux mobo plus a Zalman 7700cu cooler and I
    > was wondering if there is any problems with clearance of the fins,
    > especially around the memory slots. I'm looking at putting Corsair
    > Twinx1024-3200xl pro memory with the bigger heat spreader on.
    >
    > Second question.
    >
    > I'm thinking of putting 2Gb (4 x 512mb) of memory on. Is there any issues
    > using that config with this mobo.
    >
    > Thnx in advance
    > Dave

    http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1511034

    Are you planning on buying the heatsink and the board at the
    same time ? Perhaps if you got the board first, and did a
    few measurements, you'd have a better idea just how close the
    fit on the RAM will be.

    In any case, it won't be a lot of fun, if you have to pull the
    heatsink, every time you make a RAM change.

    http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?DEPA=0&item=35-118-115

    "Installed on ASUS A8N-SLI board with plenty of clearance...
    except...RAM going in the first two slots needs to be installed
    before this thing. Not a big deal though."

    Here is a picture of the heatsink clearing the MOSFET sinks:
    http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2005/02/28/rad_mini.jpg

    As for using 4x512MB, you will either need to use DDR333 command
    rate 1T or DDR400 command rate 2T setting. It is possible, with
    the coming Venus/San Diego generation of processors, that this
    can be improved to DDR400 command rate 1T. Have a look around
    the net, because one of the overclocking sites is reviewing this
    processor stepping right now, before AMD's official launch.
    Since they are busy cranking the clock right now, they don't have
    time to test four DIMMs. But the info should be available
    very soon, one way or another.

    Paul

    Thnx to you both Paul and Ed,
    Will wait a few more weeks before I buy.
    Give me a chance to do some more homework.

    Dave

    In article <llf4e.33483$Nr5.16464@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, "Dave"
    <dt2k@blueyREMOVEonder.co.uk> wrote:

    > Thnx to you both Paul and Ed,
    > Will wait a few more weeks before I buy.
    > Give me a chance to do some more homework.
    >
    > Dave

    Damn. The claim is still DDR400 2T for 4x512MB double sided.
    You would have to go 2x1024MB to get DDR400 1T.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-venice_3.html

    I hope Wesley at Anandtech puts his results up soon. He
    usually does the 4x512MB stress test, and he'll test to
    see if the (likely physically impossible) 1T command
    rate can be done at DDR400.

    Paul

    Sorry for not responding quicker I've been away thanks for the link,
    interesting reading.
    Again thnxs to all for your input.
    Dave

Asus SLI Memory Motherboards