No HD at coldstart with P4G8X deluxe

Hello,

i have a problem with a P4G8X deluxe. I have set up a new system, complete
new devices, actual bios. When is start the system the first time at a new
day no first harddisc is found -> Press any key to reboot. If i press a key
everything is ok, harddisc (WD 80 GB) is detected correctly and everything
works fine. During the day some warmstarts, system is fine. Next day
coldstart, -> have to reboot at first start.

Any idea?
THX alot for some advice!

Daniel

"Daniel Peter Staude" <news@DPS.info> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> i have a problem with a P4G8X deluxe. I have set up a new system, complete
> new devices, actual bios. When is start the system the first time at a new
> day no first harddisc is found -> Press any key to reboot. If i press a
> key
> everything is ok, harddisc (WD 80 GB) is detected correctly and everything
> works fine. During the day some warmstarts, system is fine. Next day
> coldstart, -> have to reboot at first start.
>
> Any idea?
> THX alot for some advice!
>
> Daniel

Sounds like a hard disk detection time that is too short. Go into the BIOS
and set it to something higher, 10 seconds should be enough time for the
disk to spin up and be detected.

> > i have a problem with a P4G8X deluxe. I have set up a new system,
complete
> > new devices, actual bios. When is start the system the first time at a
new
> > day no first harddisc is found -> Press any key to reboot. If i press a
> > key
> > everything is ok, harddisc (WD 80 GB) is detected correctly and
everything
> > works fine. During the day some warmstarts, system is fine. Next day
> > coldstart, -> have to reboot at first start.
> >
> Sounds like a hard disk detection time that is too short. Go into the BIOS
> and set it to something higher, 10 seconds should be enough time for the
> disk to spin up and be detected.

thanks alot, but in the award medallion v6.00 i cannot find such an option,
but your idea seems to be a chance to be the problem... maybe manual
settings instead of automatic hd detection could solve the problem!?

Any other tips?

>> > i have a problem with a P4G8X deluxe. I have set up a new system,
> complete
>> > new devices, actual bios. When is start the system the first time at a
> new
>> > day no first harddisc is found -> Press any key to reboot. If i press a
>> > key
>> > everything is ok, harddisc (WD 80 GB) is detected correctly and
> everything
>> > works fine. During the day some warmstarts, system is fine. Next day
>> > coldstart, -> have to reboot at first start.
>> >
>> Sounds like a hard disk detection time that is too short. Go into the
>> BIOS
>> and set it to something higher, 10 seconds should be enough time for the
>> disk to spin up and be detected.
>

> thanks alot, but in the award medallion v6.00 i cannot find such an
> option,
> but your idea seems to be a chance to be the problem... maybe manual
> settings instead of automatic hd detection could solve the problem!?
>
> Any other tips?
>
> Daniel

Have you flashed to the latest BIOS rev. They seemed to have fixed this
issue a couple of revs back.

"Clark Griswold" <f@i.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Daniel Peter Staude" <news@DPS.info> wrote in message
> > complete
> > new
> > everything
> >> >
> >> Sounds like a hard disk detection time that is too short. Go into the
> >> BIOS
> >> and set it to something higher, 10 seconds should be enough time for
the
> >> disk to spin up and be detected.
> >

> > thanks alot, but in the award medallion v6.00 i cannot find such an
> > option,
> > but your idea seems to be a chance to be the problem... maybe manual
> > settings instead of automatic hd detection could solve the problem!?
> >
> Have you flashed to the latest BIOS rev. They seemed to have fixed this
> issue a couple of revs back.

Yes, as I have written above, its the latest version for this board
installed.

> "Clark Griswold" <f@i.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> "Daniel Peter Staude" <news@DPS.info> wrote in message
>> > complete
>> > new
>> > everything

> the
>> >

>> > thanks alot, but in the award medallion v6.00 i cannot find such an
>> > option,
>> > but your idea seems to be a chance to be the problem... maybe manual
>> > settings instead of automatic hd detection could solve the problem!?
>> >
>> Have you flashed to the latest BIOS rev. They seemed to have fixed this
>> issue a couple of revs back.
>
> Yes, as I have written above, its the latest version for this board
> installed.

So, what you have flashed to is the 1006 BIOS. They have a beta bios (1007)
you may want to try.

Try attaching different power leads and see if that helps. Can't understand
why a relatively new drive can't spin up fast enough to be detected. Another
option is to force a full check on your ram. This takes an additional few
seconds and may be just what the hd needs.

How about your power supply? What make, wattage? What other items are in
your system?