A8N-SLI Premium Questions?

Paul

Splendid

In article <1152sleedm2rueb@corp.supernews.com>, Matias Silva
<matt@nospam.com> wrote:

> On Tom's hardware they mention that the board
> supports DDR500. Is this true?
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050323/index-02.html
>
> Also does anybodyhave any idea when the premium
> board will be released?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

"Supports DDR500" means the setting is in the BIOS. The
memory controller is inside the processor, so whether
it works or not, is a function of the stepping of processor
that you buy. Some processors work better than others,
when it comes to overclocking memory. (JEDEC only
officially recognizes DDR400, so AMD doesn't have to
design the circuit to run faster than that. DDR500
is considered overclocking, and overclocking
comes with no guarantees.)

On the A8N-SLI, Wesley at Anandtech got the FSB to
run at 255MHz, and ran 2 sticks of memory in dual
channel mode at 1:1. That is just slightly more than DDR500.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358&p=5

You should read that whole review, and see which company
makes the best overclocking boards. The DFI board seems
to do well, but reading accounts of that board in the
overclocking forums, you have to be very patient with
the BIOS, in order to remain in control of the board.
If you change too many settings in the DFI, it apparently
takes a lot of fiddling to get back to the level of
overclock you used to have. (If you wrote all the settings
on a scrap of paper, and just reentered all of them, it
likely would not POST.)

For more info, try private forums like:
xtremesystems.org, abxzone.com, forums.pcper.com

Paul

Paul wrote:
> In article <1152sleedm2rueb@corp.supernews.com>, Matias Silva
> <matt@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>On Tom's hardware they mention that the board
>>supports DDR500. Is this true?
>>
>>http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050323/index-02.html
>>
>>Also does anybodyhave any idea when the premium
>>board will be released?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Matt
>

> "Supports DDR500" means the setting is in the BIOS. The
> memory controller is inside the processor, so whether
> it works or not, is a function of the stepping of processor
> that you buy. Some processors work better than others,
> when it comes to overclocking memory. (JEDEC only
> officially recognizes DDR400, so AMD doesn't have to
> design the circuit to run faster than that. DDR500
> is considered overclocking, and overclocking
> comes with no guarantees.)
>
> On the A8N-SLI, Wesley at Anandtech got the FSB to
> run at 255MHz, and ran 2 sticks of memory in dual
> channel mode at 1:1. That is just slightly more than DDR500.
> http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358&p=5
>
> You should read that whole review, and see which company
> makes the best overclocking boards. The DFI board seems
> to do well, but reading accounts of that board in the
> overclocking forums, you have to be very patient with
> the BIOS, in order to remain in control of the board.
> If you change too many settings in the DFI, it apparently
> takes a lot of fiddling to get back to the level of
> overclock you used to have. (If you wrote all the settings
> on a scrap of paper, and just reentered all of them, it
> likely would not POST.)
>
> For more info, try private forums like:
> xtremesystems.org, abxzone.com, forums.pcper.com
>
> Paul

Thanks paul that was very informative. No chance on knowing
release date?

Matt

Paul wrote:

> My reaction was, how many times do you change from SLI to
> non-SLI ? Soft switching is cool, but if it costs extra
> money, why bother ? Anybody who spent the $$$ on two
> video cards is going to use them.

You have to reboot twice too. I know how much I hate rebooting...

Matias Silva wrote:

> My guess is that not every graphic app takes adavantage of SLI and if you
> happened to have a lot of monitors lying around, like me, and you have some
> certain need, then you can turn off the SLI with software, and then reboot.
> Now you are able to use all four DVI connections...

There is no need to mess with the PCI Express SLI mode for this though,
one can just disable SLI in the driver and reboot.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

TRENDING THREADS