Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Systematic crash with 1 HD PATA and 2 HD SATA on A8N SLI d..

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2005 2:46:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Here is my config:
Windows XP pro
A8N SLI deluxe bios 1.06
1 IBM HD 120Go PATA
2 Hitachi 7k250 SATA, non raid
Drivers nVidia 6.39

I added one sata drive to my well working MoBo and thus installed Windows on
the SATA master drive this time.(I kept the the two other drives)
But after 1 week I begun to have several failure on my windows.

Finally I could not start the PC again (ntldr was missing).
I reinstalled windows, installed nvidia 6.39 etc..but the PC encounted
difficulties to start nearly everytime.
After 5 reinstall, I finally reinstalled windows on the PATA drive.

And now it seems to work fine. Strange, no ?
I encountered alos some issue with Nero (communication failure) when windows
was installed on the SATA drive.

I believe that either the SATA hard drive do have some pb, or the Mobo when
windows is intalled on the SATA drive with a PATA drive present.

When isntalling 6.59 nvidia drivers, system is crashing also.

Any clue, advise ???
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2005 2:46:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Corwin [anti-spam] wrote:
> Here is my config:
> Windows XP pro
> A8N SLI deluxe bios 1.06
> 1 IBM HD 120Go PATA
> 2 Hitachi 7k250 SATA, non raid
> Drivers nVidia 6.39
>
> I added one sata drive to my well working MoBo and thus installed Windows on
> the SATA master drive this time.(I kept the the two other drives)
> But after 1 week I begun to have several failure on my windows.
>
> Finally I could not start the PC again (ntldr was missing).
> I reinstalled windows, installed nvidia 6.39 etc..but the PC encounted
> difficulties to start nearly everytime.
> After 5 reinstall, I finally reinstalled windows on the PATA drive.
>
> And now it seems to work fine. Strange, no ?
> I encountered alos some issue with Nero (communication failure) when windows
> was installed on the SATA drive.
>
> I believe that either the SATA hard drive do have some pb, or the Mobo when
> windows is intalled on the SATA drive with a PATA drive present.
>
> When isntalling 6.59 nvidia drivers, system is crashing also.
>
> Any clue, advise ???

I usually attribute randomness when adding hardware to the PSU.

Can you test the voltages and let us know what they are for +3.3 +5 and
+12V?

Ben
--
A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2005 1:51:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Here are my voltage:
12v : 11, 712
5v: 4.919
3.3V: 3.248

"Ben Pope" <benpope81@_REMOVE_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1112650717.acdd3ad1074b94bfe373a95898873f3c@teranews...
> Corwin [anti-spam] wrote:
>> Here is my config:
>> Windows XP pro
>> A8N SLI deluxe bios 1.06
>> 1 IBM HD 120Go PATA
>> 2 Hitachi 7k250 SATA, non raid
>> Drivers nVidia 6.39
>>
>> I added one sata drive to my well working MoBo and thus installed Windows
>> on the SATA master drive this time.(I kept the the two other drives)
>> But after 1 week I begun to have several failure on my windows.
>>
>> Finally I could not start the PC again (ntldr was missing).
>> I reinstalled windows, installed nvidia 6.39 etc..but the PC encounted
>> difficulties to start nearly everytime.
>> After 5 reinstall, I finally reinstalled windows on the PATA drive.
>>
>> And now it seems to work fine. Strange, no ?
>> I encountered alos some issue with Nero (communication failure) when
>> windows was installed on the SATA drive.
>>
>> I believe that either the SATA hard drive do have some pb, or the Mobo
>> when windows is intalled on the SATA drive with a PATA drive present.
>>
>> When isntalling 6.59 nvidia drivers, system is crashing also.
>>
>> Any clue, advise ???
>
> I usually attribute randomness when adding hardware to the PSU.
>
> Can you test the voltages and let us know what they are for +3.3 +5 and
> +12V?
>
> Ben
> --
> A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
> Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
> I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2005 1:51:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Corwin [anti-spam] wrote:
> Here are my voltage:
> 12v : 11, 712
> 5v: 4.919
> 3.3V: 3.248

Well, thats well within spec for all of them. How did you read them to
that precision?

I hope the nVidia SATA drivers don't have the issues of the older SW IDE
drivers.

Will be setting up my board (Neo4 Diamond) in Windows soon.

Ben
--
A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2005 8:16:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

That's not conclusive. If your power supply is marginal it could be
dropping out when one of the disks spin up.

ab
!