Systematic crash with 1 HD PATA and 2 HD SATA on A8N SLI d..

Here is my config:
Windows XP pro
A8N SLI deluxe bios 1.06
1 IBM HD 120Go PATA
2 Hitachi 7k250 SATA, non raid
Drivers nVidia 6.39

I added one sata drive to my well working MoBo and thus installed Windows on
the SATA master drive this time.(I kept the the two other drives)
But after 1 week I begun to have several failure on my windows.

Finally I could not start the PC again (ntldr was missing).
I reinstalled windows, installed nvidia 6.39 etc..but the PC encounted
difficulties to start nearly everytime.
After 5 reinstall, I finally reinstalled windows on the PATA drive.

And now it seems to work fine. Strange, no ?
I encountered alos some issue with Nero (communication failure) when windows
was installed on the SATA drive.

I believe that either the SATA hard drive do have some pb, or the Mobo when
windows is intalled on the SATA drive with a PATA drive present.

When isntalling 6.59 nvidia drivers, system is crashing also.

Any clue, advise ???
4 answers Last reply
More about systematic crash pata sata

    Corwin [anti-spam] wrote:
    > Here is my config:
    > Windows XP pro
    > A8N SLI deluxe bios 1.06
    > 1 IBM HD 120Go PATA
    > 2 Hitachi 7k250 SATA, non raid
    > Drivers nVidia 6.39
    >
    > I added one sata drive to my well working MoBo and thus installed Windows on
    > the SATA master drive this time.(I kept the the two other drives)
    > But after 1 week I begun to have several failure on my windows.
    >
    > Finally I could not start the PC again (ntldr was missing).
    > I reinstalled windows, installed nvidia 6.39 etc..but the PC encounted
    > difficulties to start nearly everytime.
    > After 5 reinstall, I finally reinstalled windows on the PATA drive.
    >
    > And now it seems to work fine. Strange, no ?
    > I encountered alos some issue with Nero (communication failure) when windows
    > was installed on the SATA drive.
    >
    > I believe that either the SATA hard drive do have some pb, or the Mobo when
    > windows is intalled on the SATA drive with a PATA drive present.
    >
    > When isntalling 6.59 nvidia drivers, system is crashing also.
    >
    > Any clue, advise ???

    I usually attribute randomness when adding hardware to the PSU.

    Can you test the voltages and let us know what they are for +3.3 +5 and
    +12V?

    Ben

    Here are my voltage:
    12v : 11, 712
    5v: 4.919
    3.3V: 3.248

    Corwin [anti-spam] wrote:
    > Here are my voltage:
    > 12v : 11, 712
    > 5v: 4.919
    > 3.3V: 3.248

    Well, thats well within spec for all of them. How did you read them to
    that precision?

    I hope the nVidia SATA drivers don't have the issues of the older SW IDE
    drivers.

    Will be setting up my board (Neo4 Diamond) in Windows soon.

    Ben

    That's not conclusive. If your power supply is marginal it could be
    dropping out when one of the disks spin up.

    ab

Asus SATA HD Motherboards