Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

New hard drive won't initialize

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 9:14:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I am replacing a hard drive (slave) on a Win XP Home
machine. POST recognises the drive and Properties show it
working properly, but Disk management module gives volume
status Not Initialized and the wizard won't run - right
click does not show Initialize (only New Partition greyed
out).

Can anyone help please?

More about : hard drive initialize

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 11:18:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Go back into disk Management, and create a Primary
partition on the new drive, then format it.











>-----Original Message-----
>I am replacing a hard drive (slave) on a Win XP Home
>machine. POST recognises the drive and Properties show
it
>working properly, but Disk management module gives
volume
>status Not Initialized and the wizard won't run - right
>click does not show Initialize (only New Partition
greyed
>out).
>
>Can anyone help please?
>.
>
August 20, 2004 8:42:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Mike Greaves" <mikegreaves@co-hort.co.uk> wrote in message
news:2ad901c486af$2ddb92e0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>I am replacing a hard drive (slave) on a Win XP Home
> machine. POST recognises the drive and Properties show it
> working properly, but Disk management module gives volume
> status Not Initialized and the wizard won't run - right
> click does not show Initialize (only New Partition greyed
> out).
>
> Can anyone help please?

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management >
Disk Management >
Here you will have to partition and format and assign a drive letter.
See help for more explicit information.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 3:51:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I can't create primary partition as the option is greyed out on menu. Disk is
a DiamondMax Plus 8 40 GB, and it passes all Maxtor's diagnostic software
tests.

"Zagan" wrote:

> Go back into disk Management, and create a Primary
> partition on the new drive, then format it.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> >-----Original Message-----
> >I am replacing a hard drive (slave) on a Win XP Home
> >machine. POST recognises the drive and Properties show
> it
> >working properly, but Disk management module gives
> volume
> >status Not Initialized and the wizard won't run - right
> >click does not show Initialize (only New Partition
> greyed
> >out).
> >
> >Can anyone help please?
> >.
> >
>
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 3:55:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I can't create a partition as the option is greyed out, that's the problem.

"Frank" wrote:

>
> "Mike Greaves" <mikegreaves@co-hort.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:2ad901c486af$2ddb92e0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> >I am replacing a hard drive (slave) on a Win XP Home
> > machine. POST recognises the drive and Properties show it
> > working properly, but Disk management module gives volume
> > status Not Initialized and the wizard won't run - right
> > click does not show Initialize (only New Partition greyed
> > out).
> >
> > Can anyone help please?
>
> Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management >
> Disk Management >
> Here you will have to partition and format and assign a drive letter.
> See help for more explicit information.
>
>
>
August 22, 2004 3:52:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Have you tried using Maxtor SW to partition and format the drive? I believe
they have this on their site as well.

FWIW, Len

"Mike Greaves" <Mike Greaves@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CC321876-14D7-4363-91B6-2C011C8B49F0@microsoft.com...
>I can't create primary partition as the option is greyed out on menu. Disk
>is
> a DiamondMax Plus 8 40 GB, and it passes all Maxtor's diagnostic software
> tests.
>
> "Zagan" wrote:
>
>> Go back into disk Management, and create a Primary
>> partition on the new drive, then format it.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> >-----Original Message-----
>> >I am replacing a hard drive (slave) on a Win XP Home
>> >machine. POST recognises the drive and Properties show
>> it
>> >working properly, but Disk management module gives
>> volume
>> >status Not Initialized and the wizard won't run - right
>> >click does not show Initialize (only New Partition
>> greyed
>> >out).
>> >
>> >Can anyone help please?
>> >.
>> >
>>
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 3:07:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Thanks, I'll try that

"Len" wrote:

> Have you tried using Maxtor SW to partition and format the drive? I believe
> they have this on their site as well.
>
> FWIW, Len
>
> "Mike Greaves" <Mike Greaves@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:CC321876-14D7-4363-91B6-2C011C8B49F0@microsoft.com...
> >I can't create primary partition as the option is greyed out on menu. Disk
> >is
> > a DiamondMax Plus 8 40 GB, and it passes all Maxtor's diagnostic software
> > tests.
> >
> > "Zagan" wrote:
> >
> >> Go back into disk Management, and create a Primary
> >> partition on the new drive, then format it.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> >-----Original Message-----
> >> >I am replacing a hard drive (slave) on a Win XP Home
> >> >machine. POST recognises the drive and Properties show
> >> it
> >> >working properly, but Disk management module gives
> >> volume
> >> >status Not Initialized and the wizard won't run - right
> >> >click does not show Initialize (only New Partition
> >> greyed
> >> >out).
> >> >
> >> >Can anyone help please?
> >> >.
> >> >
> >>
>
>
>
June 24, 2009 2:14:53 AM

Well If you have another machine with vista what ever vista it is get a usb enclosure and plug it in to vista comp then goto start {right} :hello:  click computer then goto {storage} :bounce:  then goto {computer management} :bounce:  look for the hard drive if it shows, look for your drive's storage amount from there if you see it look to the left of the side till you see the image of a {hard drive} :o  on that image there will be an arrow pointing down right in the middle of the hard drive image like thing, right click and click on initialize. There you go if you can fallow these instructions and see the {storage drive} :??:  assuming you know the size of it these instructions well work, And sorry if you don't get what i'm trying to explain to you i tryed to put it as good as i can. :( 

Your welcome! :non: 

have fun and "game play" well. :lol: 

hopefully this helps! am not sure about some drive brands but it worked on my 2TB storage drive.
G-L.
June 30, 2009 12:50:34 AM

Open Computer management , Storage , Disk Management. If you try to format the disk you will get the error disk is not initialized. Right click on the Disk number to the left of the grey'ed out area and click on initialize. It will give you an option of MBR or GUID.

I rule. :sol: 
June 30, 2009 3:28:26 AM

Check the post date before posting to it please
!