A8N-SLI Deluxe - nVidia IDE Drivers and Secondary Channel ..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I posted a message here about a week ago about a new A8N system,
non-SATA and non-Raid. Just a single HD on Privary IDE and 2 DVD
devices on Secdondary. The problem was that WinXP would take 2 or 3
attempts to boot with each failure occuring at the same place where
the black Windows screen would appear. Disconnect the secondary
devices and Windows would boot just fine. All other system settings
and hardware were checked out OK. The problem sounds like hardware
(bad contoller) but since the reboot always occured at the same spot,
it sounds like a corrupted or bad driver to me.

I now have an answer for my problem but it still has me puzzled:
un-install the nVidia IDE drivers and the problems all go away. Go
figure.

These were Sony devices but just to rule out hardware incompatibility
I also tried other generic devices on the secondary and the failure
remained regardless of brand.

Am I really losing any performance advantage by sticking with the MS
drivers from Windows rather than using the nVidia IDE drivers? Of
course, the remaining nVidia chipset drivers are still installed.
Thank God for nVidia having the sense to offer an un-install option
for each rather than an all-in-one, take-it-or-leave-it
install/un-install.

Baldy
6 answers Last reply
More about deluxe nvidia drivers secondary channel
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    In article <d2c45155hfrv1c46kqmd36qjkd9goopque@4ax.com>, Baldy
    <not@home.now> wrote:

    > I posted a message here about a week ago about a new A8N system,
    > non-SATA and non-Raid. Just a single HD on Privary IDE and 2 DVD
    > devices on Secdondary. The problem was that WinXP would take 2 or 3
    > attempts to boot with each failure occuring at the same place where
    > the black Windows screen would appear. Disconnect the secondary
    > devices and Windows would boot just fine. All other system settings
    > and hardware were checked out OK. The problem sounds like hardware
    > (bad contoller) but since the reboot always occured at the same spot,
    > it sounds like a corrupted or bad driver to me.
    >
    > I now have an answer for my problem but it still has me puzzled:
    > un-install the nVidia IDE drivers and the problems all go away. Go
    > figure.
    >
    > These were Sony devices but just to rule out hardware incompatibility
    > I also tried other generic devices on the secondary and the failure
    > remained regardless of brand.
    >
    > Am I really losing any performance advantage by sticking with the MS
    > drivers from Windows rather than using the nVidia IDE drivers? Of
    > course, the remaining nVidia chipset drivers are still installed.
    > Thank God for nVidia having the sense to offer an un-install option
    > for each rather than an all-in-one, take-it-or-leave-it
    > install/un-install.
    >
    > Baldy

    The non-MS drivers frequently include their own RAM
    cache for disk access. This gives an apparent boost
    in performance.

    However, as you've discovered, compatibility is a lost
    art. Whether it is Intel IAA, a SIS, Via, Nvidia etc
    driver, they all have problems to one extent or another.
    Usually, where the s*** hits the fan, is burning CD/DVDs.

    Another benefit of using the default MS driver, is if you
    migrate your boot disk to another new motherboard, there
    is a good chance the driver will allow the system to boot.
    At least, switching to the default MS driver, before
    changing motherboards, allowed me to migrate my disk on
    my last upgrade (using Win2K). You might still want to
    do a repair install, as the results can be less than
    spectacular (I had video card problems).

    HTH,
    Paul
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Baldy" <not@home.now> wrote in message
    news:d2c45155hfrv1c46kqmd36qjkd9goopque@4ax.com...
    > I posted a message here about a week ago about a new A8N system,
    > non-SATA and non-Raid. Just a single HD on Privary IDE and 2 DVD
    > devices on Secdondary. The problem was that WinXP would take 2 or 3
    > attempts to boot with each failure occuring at the same place where
    > the black Windows screen would appear. Disconnect the secondary
    > devices and Windows would boot just fine. All other system settings
    > and hardware were checked out OK. The problem sounds like hardware
    > (bad contoller) but since the reboot always occured at the same spot,
    > it sounds like a corrupted or bad driver to me.


    Not sure if this will be of any help or confort to you but...

    I am running exactly the same arrangement as you. I am using BIOS 1006 and
    the very latest driver pack from the nVidia site.

    I am not seeing the same problems as you. I am unable to suggest any
    remedies to your particular problem other than:

    Flash up to 1006
    Clear the CMOS
    Set to Defaults
    Replace DMA66 cable to Optical Drives
    Check Master/Slave settings on Optical Drives, and reverse them to see if it
    will play ball the other way around.
    Uninstall your current nVidia driver pack
    Install latest nVidia driver pack.

    HTH
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 10:23:50 +0100, "3200+" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:


    >I am running exactly the same arrangement as you. I am using BIOS 1006 and
    >the very latest driver pack from the nVidia site.
    >
    >I am not seeing the same problems as you. I am unable to suggest any
    >remedies to your particular problem other than:
    >
    >Flash up to 1006
    >Clear the CMOS
    >Set to Defaults
    >Replace DMA66 cable to Optical Drives
    >Check Master/Slave settings on Optical Drives, and reverse them to see if it
    >will play ball the other way around.
    >Uninstall your current nVidia driver pack
    >Install latest nVidia driver pack.
    >
    >HTH
    >

    Admittedly your advice is the only thing that I didn't try (BIOS patch
    and nVidia latest release pack). I'm surprised that nobody else has
    come across this same glitch but I suspect that this particular system
    that I'm setting up for a client is sort of just a half-assed gamer
    system. Can't figure out why anyone would want to run this mobo with
    just one All-In-Wonder video card and just one 100GB non-SATA HD.

    Lately I've noticed several chipset manufacturers all touting their
    latest and greatest IDE drivers, i.e. ViaTech. Two weeks ago I had a
    similar problem with the new VIA IDE drivers (not to be confused with
    their 4-in-1 driver pack). Those VIA drivers looked nifty and glitzy
    on the properties sheet tab but caused many disk access errors. Once
    they were removed, the standard MS drivers worked flawlessly. So I'm a
    little gunshy about even trying nVidia's latest attempt to join the
    masses. Maybe one I feel luckier..........

    Baldy
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 14:26:54 -0700, Baldy <not@home.now> wrote:

    >On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 10:23:50 +0100, "3200+" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I am running exactly the same arrangement as you. I am using BIOS 1006 and
    >>the very latest driver pack from the nVidia site.
    >>
    >>I am not seeing the same problems as you. I am unable to suggest any
    >>remedies to your particular problem other than:
    >>
    >>Flash up to 1006
    >>Clear the CMOS
    >>Set to Defaults
    >>Replace DMA66 cable to Optical Drives
    >>Check Master/Slave settings on Optical Drives, and reverse them to see if it
    >>will play ball the other way around.
    >>Uninstall your current nVidia driver pack
    >>Install latest nVidia driver pack.
    >>
    >>HTH
    >>
    >
    >Admittedly your advice is the only thing that I didn't try (BIOS patch
    >and nVidia latest release pack). I'm surprised that nobody else has
    >come across this same glitch but I suspect that this particular system
    >that I'm setting up for a client is sort of just a half-assed gamer
    >system. Can't figure out why anyone would want to run this mobo with
    >just one All-In-Wonder video card and just one 100GB non-SATA HD.
    >
    >Lately I've noticed several chipset manufacturers all touting their
    >latest and greatest IDE drivers, i.e. ViaTech. Two weeks ago I had a
    >similar problem with the new VIA IDE drivers (not to be confused with
    >their 4-in-1 driver pack). Those VIA drivers looked nifty and glitzy
    >on the properties sheet tab but caused many disk access errors. Once
    >they were removed, the standard MS drivers worked flawlessly. So I'm a
    >little gunshy about even trying nVidia's latest attempt to join the
    >masses. Maybe one I feel luckier..........
    >
    >Baldy

    From all I've heard, the nVidia IDE drivers should not be installed.
    From my own experience: I tried them a few months ago, but had to
    remove them because they kept setting my DVD burner to PIO mode.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    How does one uninstall the MS IDE Drivers and then reinstall the NVidia
    IDE drivers? I downloaded 5.10 of the Unified Driver pack but it's not
    abundantly clear what to do. I ran it but it looks it just extracts
    itself to my C: drive as C:\NVIDIA\nForceWin2KXP\5.10.

    Thanks,
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Hi Baldy,

    >system. Can't figure out why anyone would want to run this mobo with
    >just one All-In-Wonder video card and just one 100GB non-SATA HD.


    1 Reason:

    Build in Raid 5 in my case.

    The raid controllers alone with the inbuild chipset are more than the
    Intire Asus board!!!


    Regards Leif.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Drivers Devices Nvidia Motherboards