fred

I have a 20 Gb Hard Drive in an HP VL420 PC that has Win
XP Prof. It has Drive C: & D: of approx equal
proportions. The FAT32 file system is on the drive.
I would like to be able to expand the drive to the full
20 Gb on the C: volumn & take away the D: drive.
Can I do this w/ the FAT32 system without reformatting????
Appreciate some help.
Fred

The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to use
a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

Otherwise, a "clean install" of Windows XP will be required
since you'll have to delete all the existing partitions and create
a new single partition.

Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Fred" wrote:

| I have a 20 Gb Hard Drive in an HP VL420 PC that has Win
| XP Prof. It has Drive C: & D: of approx equal
| proportions. The FAT32 file system is on the drive.
| I would like to be able to expand the drive to the full
| 20 Gb on the C: volumn & take away the D: drive.
| Can I do this w/ the FAT32 system without reformatting????
| Appreciate some help.
| Fred

Hello

You will have to use 3rd party software like Partition Magic

Alvin

Fred wrote:

> I have a 20 Gb Hard Drive in an HP VL420 PC that has Win
> XP Prof. It has Drive C: & D: of approx equal
> proportions. The FAT32 file system is on the drive.
> I would like to be able to expand the drive to the full
> 20 Gb on the C: volumn & take away the D: drive.
> Can I do this w/ the FAT32 system without reformatting????
> Appreciate some help.
> Fred

Unless you are running Windows XP Professional and have both partitions
as NTFS. You could then use Disk Management to merge the two partitions
but this would require making your hard drive a dynamic disk and
therefore less compatible with other OSes and other computers.

----
Nathan McNulty