Five Speakers: Outdated video card?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

I recently purchased the 5.1 Creative SBS 560, which comes with five
speakers. However, on this particular computer, there's an older sound
card. (Creative SB Live! Value)

The problem is, only four of the speakers are functioning. The center
speaker is mute. Could this be due to the sound card being outdated?
25 answers Last reply
More about five speakers outdated video card
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    > Conor Turton wrote:
    > >
    > THere are several versions of the SBLive!. One of them, the Value, is
    > 4.1 card only. Sounds like this is your problem.
    >
    > Creative Audigy cards are going for very little on E-Bay and are
    quite
    > alot better than the Live! so it may be worth buying one.

    Hi, Conor

    When I was configuring these speakers (via the drivers provided by
    Creative), there was support for two speakers, four speakers, and
    headphones.

    This particular SB Live! Card came with a computer purchased in 2002. I
    believe this is the model:
    http://www.digiconcepts.com/creativelabs_soundcards_04.htm

    It indeed states that this card supports up to four speakers.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    Would something like this work?

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=29-102-177&DEPA=0

    Would any 5.1 sound card allow for five speakers?

    http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com:80/wwimages/audio_int/audigy/Audigy2Rings1.jpg

    http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com:80/wwimages/audio_int/audigy/Audigy2Rings3.JPG

    http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com:80/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=631,E=0000000000054341337,K=9284,Sxi=0,Case=obj(3069),Kb=ww_english,VARSET=ws:http://us.creative.com/

    > You can try and download a manual here, but not all products
    > have a download available. The manual I got is a .chm, a help
    > file, rather than a PDF manual. Just double click to open it.
    >
    > http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/welcome.asp?type=manuals
    >
    > Paul

    Would those two connectors be the light green and black ones? Leaving
    the other hanging? This couldn't be what's preventing the center
    speaker from functioning, could it? There are no options for five
    speakers in the 'Creative Sound Mixer'.

    In article <1112779306.957523.154450@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Would something like this work?
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=29-102-177&DEPA=0
    >
    > Would any 5.1 sound card allow for five speakers?

    Your speakers have front-L,R rear-L,R and center/sub, a total
    of six speakers in a 5.1 configuation.

    http://pl.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=25&product=9303

    You should not go buying sound cards at random. At least make
    sure that the card supports a 5.1 configuration. When a sound
    card has a lot of output connectors, the software will only
    support certain configurations of the connectors. You should
    check that the product you select specifically supports your
    speaker config, otherwise you end up with nasty surprise, like
    your existing 4.0 sound card.

    This page, for example, shows a control panel where 5.1 and 7.1
    options are offered on a 7.1 card.

    http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/soundcard/print.shtml

    Something to watch for, which may confuse you, is at least one
    of the Audigy line, has three output connectors to carry 7.1.
    Two of the connectors have three contacts inside. 2+3+3 = the
    eight channels of a 7.1 product. Your speakers have 2+2+2 channels
    on the three wires used for 5.1, and they should work just fine
    when plugged into the three jacks on the faceplate of the sound
    card. If you had 7.1 speakers, the plug types would have to match
    the jacks on the sound card.

    "Line Out 1 jack (_1) Connects to Front Left and Front Right
    inputs on powered analog speakers or an external amplifier
    for audio output. Also supports headphones.

    Line Out 2 jack (_2) Connects to Rear Left, Rear Right and
    Side Right (only on 7.1 speaker systems) inputs on powered
    analog speakers or an external amplifier for audio output.

    Line Out 3 jack (_3) Connects to Front Center, Subwoofer and
    Side Left (only on 7.1 speaker systems) or Rear Center (only
    on 6.1 speaker systems) inputs on powered analog speakers, or
    an external amplifier for audio output."

    So, if you see a sound card that has three holes for the speakers,
    and claims to support 7.1 sound, that means two of the holes are
    special, and have an extra contact not seen on an ordinary 1/8"
    stereo plug. I'm only explaining this, if you are confused as to
    how three holes can carry eight speakers worth of signals.

    Here are some pictures, showing how a special 1/8" plug gains
    access to the three signals on the Audigy ZS connector. Your
    5.1 speakers should make contact with only two of the three
    signals on the connector, and should work fine as far as I know.

    http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com:80/wwimages/audio_int/audigy/Audigy2Rings1.jpg
    http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com:80/wwimages/audio_int/audigy/Audigy2Rings3.JPG

    Those pictures are from a Creative knowledgebase article:

    http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com:80/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=631,E=0000000000054341337,K=9284,Sxi=0,Case=obj(3069),Kb=ww_english,VARSET=ws:http://us.creative.com/

    You can try and download a manual here, but not all products
    have a download available. The manual I got is a .chm, a help
    file, rather than a PDF manual. Just double click to open it.

    http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/welcome.asp?type=manuals

    Paul
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    In article <1112771123.459618.221730@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    aether says...
    > I recently purchased the 5.1 Creative SBS 560, which comes with five
    > speakers. However, on this particular computer, there's an older sound
    > card. (Creative SB Live! Value)
    >
    > The problem is, only four of the speakers are functioning. The center
    > speaker is mute. Could this be due to the sound card being outdated?

    THere are several versions of the SBLive!. One of them, the Value, is a

    --
    Conor

    Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
    as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B

    The word is A LOT not ALOT why can't y'all spell ya word right??
    Ain't no such word as alot....................

    "Conor Turton" <conor@conorturton.com> wrote in message
    > In article <1112771123.459618.221730@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    > aether says...
    >> I recently purchased the 5.1 Creative SBS 560, which comes with five
    >> speakers. However, on this particular computer, there's an older sound
    >> card. (Creative SB Live! Value)
    >>
    >> The problem is, only four of the speakers are functioning. The center
    >> speaker is mute. Could this be due to the sound card being outdated?
    >>
    > THere are several versions of the SBLive!. One of them, the Value, is a
    > 4.1 card only. Sounds like this is your problem.
    >
    > Creative Audigy cards are going for very little on E-Bay and are quite
    > alot better than the Live! so it may be worth buying one.
    >
    > --
    > Conor
    >
    > Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
    > as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    In article <1112779306.957523.154450@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    aether says...
    > Would something like this work?
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=29-102-177&DEPA=0

    Yes.

    > Would any 5.1 sound card allow for five speakers?

    Yes but I'd stick to well known names. Lots of cheapo stuff floating
    around and the sound is horrendous.

    --
    Conor

    Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
    as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Conor Turton wrote:
    >> >
    >> THere are several versions of the SBLive!. One of them, the Value, is
    >> 4.1 card only. Sounds like this is your problem.
    >>
    >> Creative Audigy cards are going for very little on E-Bay and are
    > quite
    >> alot better than the Live! so it may be worth buying one.
    >
    > Hi, Conor
    >
    > When I was configuring these speakers (via the drivers provided by
    > Creative), there was support for two speakers, four speakers, and
    > headphones.
    >
    > This particular SB Live! Card came with a computer purchased in 2002. I
    > believe this is the model:
    > http://www.digiconcepts.com/creativelabs_soundcards_04.htm
    >
    > It indeed states that this card supports up to four speakers.

    Sorry guys but I happen to own the exact same setup in my other computer and
    the middle speaker works fine. You just have to enable 5.1 in the creative
    control panel where it says speaker setup. Also make sure you have the
    latest Creative drivers.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    I believe I have the older version Conor spoke of (4.1), because I've
    encountered no 5.1 option. Looks like I'll be engaging in a hunt for a
    sound card. Thanks for the help, fellas.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    In article <KvT4e.31805$Pc.16664@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>, "Chuck"
    <chuck_les_@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Conor Turton wrote:
    > >> >
    > >> THere are several versions of the SBLive!. One of them, the Value, is
    > >> 4.1 card only. Sounds like this is your problem.
    > >>
    > >> Creative Audigy cards are going for very little on E-Bay and are
    > > quite
    > >> alot better than the Live! so it may be worth buying one.
    > >
    > > Hi, Conor
    > >
    > > When I was configuring these speakers (via the drivers provided by
    > > Creative), there was support for two speakers, four speakers, and
    > > headphones.
    > >
    > > This particular SB Live! Card came with a computer purchased in 2002. I
    > > believe this is the model:
    > > http://www.digiconcepts.com/creativelabs_soundcards_04.htm
    > >
    > > It indeed states that this card supports up to four speakers.
    > >

    > Sorry guys but I happen to own the exact same setup in my other computer and
    > the middle speaker works fine. You just have to enable 5.1 in the creative
    > control panel where it says speaker setup. Also make sure you have the
    > latest Creative drivers.

    This is the closest manual I can find:

    http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download2.asp?manualID=790&Product_ID=1853&regionID=1&Product_Name=Sound+Blaster+Live%21+5%2E1+Digital+%28Dell%29

    http://files.americas.creative.com/manualdn/Manuals/790/English.pdf

    Page 14 shows the top jack is used for either digital or analog
    output. In analog mode, it becomes the center/sub jack.

    On Page 29, it explains about the "Digital Output Only" checkbox.
    As Chuck suggests, you want to be in 5.1 mode, but you also want
    to make sure the "Digital Output Only" is unchecked, as that
    makes the output analog suitable for the speakers.

    HTH,
    Paul
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    Yes. Time for a new soundcard to match your speakers.

    --
    DaveW

    >I recently purchased the 5.1 Creative SBS 560, which comes with five
    > speakers. However, on this particular computer, there's an older sound
    > card. (Creative SB Live! Value)
    >
    > The problem is, only four of the speakers are functioning. The center
    > speaker is mute. Could this be due to the sound card being outdated?

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    Update

    Purchased a SB Live! LS 5.1 Soundcard.

    When playing audio or video, the center speaker still doesn't work.

    However, when testing them in diagnostics (front left, center, front
    right, rear l/r), it does.

    How do I get the front speaker to work at all times?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/05/46/51/07/0005465107095_500X500.jpg
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    In article <KvT4e.31805$Pc.16664@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>, Chuck
    says...

    > Sorry guys but I happen to own the exact same setup in my other computer and
    > the middle speaker works fine. You just have to enable 5.1 in the creative
    > control panel where it says speaker setup. Also make sure you have the
    > latest Creative drivers.

    Its not that simple. There are several versions of the SBLive! card and
    at least two versions of the Value...one being creatives own chipset
    and the other a rebadged ESS.

    --
    Conor

    Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
    as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Nero" <nero@rome.it> wrote in message
    > The word is A LOT not ALOT why can't y'all spell ya word right??
    > Ain't no such word as alot....................

    Eye halve a spelling chequer;
    It came with my pea sea;
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
    Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write -
    It shows me strait a weigh.
    As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long,
    And eye can put the error rite
    Its rare lea ever wrong.
    Eye have run this poem threw it;
    I am shore your pleased two no
    Its letter perfect awl the weigh,
    My chequer tolled me sew.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    Paul wrote:
    > Did you uninstall the software for the old sound card ?
    >
    > Paul

    Indeed, and then installed the drivers on the CD that came with it.
    Shouldn't this be working? The fact that it works on the diagnostics
    test, whereas before it didn't, is a good sign I suppose.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    In article <1112837374.793408.22540@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Update
    >
    > Purchased a SB Live! LS 5.1 Soundcard.
    >
    > When playing audio or video, the center speaker still doesn't work.
    >
    > However, when testing them in diagnostics (front left, center, front
    > right, rear l/r), it does.
    >
    > How do I get the front speaker to work at all times?

    Did you uninstall the software for the old sound card ?

    Paul
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    Paul wrote:
    > One thing you occasionally have to watch for, is there aren't
    > really good standards for the center/subwoofer connector.
    > Some speakers have the center/sub reversed, and what happens
    > is the bass sounds try to come out of the tiny center speaker,
    > while the higher frequency content of the center signal,
    > tries to come out of the woofer (and virtually nothing
    > happens). That will sound really weird, but not completely
    > dead, if it happens. Some mixer/control panels have a setting
    > to reverse center/sub, which should have a dramatic effect and
    > correct that problem.
    >
    > Keep pluggin at it,
    > Paul

    Am tinkering with everything. That link you provided; I tried to play
    the .vob file, but am missing codecs. I then downloaded software that
    converts .vob files into .avi format, but then found you can't download
    the file.

    Do you think it's possible I purchased the wrong sound card? I thought
    it being a 5.1 card would result in all five speakers functioning.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    Update

    I loaded a DVD with Windows Media Player instead of PowerDVD, and the
    center speaker was functioning. However, it doesn't function when
    playing MP3s. Should it? Or, does it not because of the files?
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    In article <1112865622.505902.190350@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Paul wrote:
    > > Did you uninstall the software for the old sound card ?
    > >
    > > Paul
    >
    > Indeed, and then installed the drivers on the CD that came with it.
    > Shouldn't this be working? The fact that it works on the diagnostics
    > test, whereas before it didn't, is a good sign I suppose.

    I was going to suggest testing by using this site:

    http://www.cinenow.com/us/vobtrailer.php3

    but seeing as my Windows Media Player seems to be busted,
    I cannot test the files to see whether they work or not.

    It could be that _something_ in the audio software stack is
    not right, for what you are trying to do. If you have some
    DVD player software, that software plus a DVD, should give
    you an opportunity to test the speakers.

    Pretty lame suggestions, but unless someone has a nice
    testing application, you'll just have to experiment. The
    fact that the test you did works, could mean that
    maybe Microsoft "DirectSound" works, but I really don't know
    anything about all the other software paths that sound takes,
    so other than testing with the DVD player software, I don't
    know what paths support 5.1 or just stereo.

    I have a foggy idea how AC3 and SPDIF work, but in this case
    you are testing an analog only path, and there really should
    not be anything preventing a 5.1 media source from reaching
    the 5.1 speakers.

    One thing you occasionally have to watch for, is there aren't
    really good standards for the center/subwoofer connector.
    Some speakers have the center/sub reversed, and what happens
    is the bass sounds try to come out of the tiny center speaker,
    while the higher frequency content of the center signal,
    tries to come out of the woofer (and virtually nothing
    happens). That will sound really weird, but not completely
    dead, if it happens. Some mixer/control panels have a setting
    to reverse center/sub, which should have a dramatic effect and
    correct that problem.

    Keep pluggin at it,
    Paul
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    In article <1112837374.793408.22540@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    aether says...
    > Update
    >
    > Purchased a SB Live! LS 5.1 Soundcard.
    >
    > When playing audio or video, the center speaker still doesn't work.
    >
    > However, when testing them in diagnostics (front left, center, front
    > right, rear l/r), it does.
    >
    > How do I get the front speaker to work at all times?

    Use 5.1 encoded audio/video files.

    --
    Conor

    Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
    as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    In article <1112872243.272987.187900@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    aether says...
    > Update
    >
    > I loaded a DVD with Windows Media Player instead of PowerDVD, and the
    > center speaker was functioning. However, it doesn't function when
    > playing MP3s. Should it?

    No. MP3 files are encoded in stereo.

    --
    Conor

    Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
    as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    Yes. Well, 5 speakers and a subwoofer.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    aether wrote:
    > Update
    >
    > Purchased a SB Live! LS 5.1 Soundcard.
    >
    > When playing audio or video, the center speaker still doesn't work.
    >
    > However, when testing them in diagnostics (front left, center, front
    > right, rear l/r), it does.
    >
    > How do I get the front speaker to work at all times?

    You might find that the only applications that make use of all your
    speakers are the software DVD players.

    Yousuf Khan
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Welllll shooooooooooooot
    thar ya go.
    "Mike" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > "Nero" <nero@rome.it> wrote in message
    >> The word is A LOT not ALOT why can't y'all spell ya word right??
    >> Ain't no such word as alot....................
    >>

    > Eye halve a spelling chequer;
    > It came with my pea sea;
    > It plainly marques four my revue
    > Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
    > Eye strike a key and type a word
    > And weight four it two say
    > Weather eye am wrong oar write -
    > It shows me strait a weigh.
    > As soon as a mist ache is maid
    > It nose bee fore two long,
    > And eye can put the error rite
    > Its rare lea ever wrong.
    > Eye have run this poem threw it;
    > I am shore your pleased two no
    > Its letter perfect awl the weigh,
    > My chequer tolled me sew.

Asus Hardware Speakers Creative Motherboards