Replacing the motherboard

jeffrey

Distinguished
May 4, 2001

First -- many thanks for the great help here in Newsgroups.

I am preparing to install a new mobo, and planning on a full repair install
of xp after the mobo install. I'm pretty clear on the suggested booting
precedure, but a new question has arisen -- one I hope someone can clarify.

None of the postings I've read mention the new mobo's installation CD. All
the threads I've followed speak at length about factoring in the xp CD-Rom,
when doing the repair install, but I haven't found any references about a new
mobo installation CD. And....

.....My new board just arrived yesterday, and with it came an installation
CD. My step-by-step old-board-removal-new-board install-Repair Install
XP-load all peripheral-plan was thrown off, because of the board's CD-ROM.

So, my question is: At what point in the sequence of steps do I employ
(insert) the new board's CD? If I load it right after the physical
installation, but haven't repair-installed XP yet, how will the new board's
CD know what to do, if there's no operating system running? On the other
hand, if I do the Repair Install first, will the installation work if I
haven't run the new board's CD?

I'm sure this is addressed somewhere, I just haven't found the answer yet.

By the way, my new board is an ECS 848P-A, set with a 478 pin for a P4 2.4
cpu.

Thanks in advance for any help.

(P.S. : I've also posted this question in the general Hardware category)

It is very simple...

Install the new motherboard. Do not hook up any external devices...just the
computer and your internet connection.

Boot with the Windows CD and follow the instructions to do an in-place
Repair.

Once that is done, Run the installation CD that came with your motherboard.

Reboot.

Connect external devices (printers, etc). You may have to reinstall drivers
for some of your hardware, particularly if your mother board uses a
different chipset than the one that was replaced.

Bobby

Jeffrey wrote:
> First -- many thanks for the great help here in Newsgroups.
>
> I am preparing to install a new mobo, and planning on a full repair
> install of xp after the mobo install. I'm pretty clear on the
> suggested booting precedure, but a new question has arisen -- one I
> hope someone can clarify.
>
> None of the postings I've read mention the new mobo's installation
> CD. All the threads I've followed speak at length about factoring in
> the xp CD-Rom, when doing the repair install, but I haven't found any
> references about a new mobo installation CD. And....
>
> ....My new board just arrived yesterday, and with it came an
> installation CD. My step-by-step old-board-removal-new-board
> install-Repair Install XP-load all peripheral-plan was thrown off,
> because of the board's CD-ROM.
>
> So, my question is: At what point in the sequence of steps do I employ
> (insert) the new board's CD? If I load it right after the physical
> installation, but haven't repair-installed XP yet, how will the new
> board's CD know what to do, if there's no operating system running?
> On the other hand, if I do the Repair Install first, will the
> installation work if I haven't run the new board's CD?
>
> I'm sure this is addressed somewhere, I just haven't found the answer
> yet.
>
> By the way, my new board is an ECS 848P-A, set with a 478 pin for a
> P4 2.4 cpu.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> (P.S. : I've also posted this question in the general Hardware
> category)

Oh and learn to have some patience. Posting 32 minutes after the first time
isn't likely to endear you to anyone.
lose his marbles?

ECS has generally been junk. Stay away from those Processor/Motherboard
combos involving ECS. I admit they have a couple good boards (their
more expensive ones), but there is no point in paying for those when you
can have an ASUS for just a little more.

I am curious if this was a Fry's Electronics deal. I went through 4 of
their bundles (CPU was more expensive than the bundle cost). Ended up
tossing all 4 of the motherboards and keeping the processors. They
wouldn't support sleep states, they had issues with video cards (Fast
Writes and Side Band Addressing). That is why it is best to look at the
most popular motherboards. They are popular for a reason. It may cost
a few extra dollars, but it is money well spent.

----
Nathan McNulty