P3V4X - HD >80G

The 05 BIOS seems not to see anything bigger than 80G, and I see no later one
for download. This seems unusually low and peculiar for a 2000-vintage P3.
I'd expect to see a 127 limit, no? Any beta joy anywhere?

Paul

Splendid

In article <SLmdnQElDsy96cnfRVn-uQ@rcn.net>, "Frank Haber"
<frhaber@N0SPMrcn.com> wrote:

> The 05 BIOS seems not to see anything bigger than 80G, and I see no later one
> for download. This seems unusually low and peculiar for a 2000-vintage P3.
> I'd expect to see a 127 limit, no? Any beta joy anywhere?

http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq076_32gb_ide_hdd.htm

XG-DLS / P3B-F / P3V..- Serie Aktuelle Final bis einschl. 128 GB

A translation is available here:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asuscom.de%2Fsupport%2FFAQ%2Ffaq076_32gb_ide_hdd.htm&lp=de_en

Why not try the beta BIOS as well (pv4x1064.zip = 1006.004) ?

HTH,
Paul

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten that Asus DE is always in better ordnung (g). Thanks.

Update. 1006.004 beta did NOT change max HD size. The BIOS still detects
both a WD and Maxtor 160 as 80-something. Ah, well.

But the 4-in-1s on the .de site are much smoother for AGP. Thanks.

BigJim

I have one in the closet that for the vintage on the board I was trying to
remember how old it was.

"Frank Haber" <frhaber@N0SPMrcn.com> wrote in message
> The 05 BIOS seems not to see anything bigger than 80G, and I see no later
> one for download. This seems unusually low and peculiar for a
> 2000-vintage P3. I'd expect to see a 127 limit, no? Any beta joy
> anywhere?

Paul

Splendid

In article <QIGdnZuhQvLwDcjfRVn-jw@rcn.net>, "Frank Haber"
<frhaber@N0SPMrcn.com> wrote:

> Update. 1006.004 beta did NOT change max HD size. The BIOS still detects
> both a WD and Maxtor 160 as 80-something. Ah, well.
>
> But the 4-in-1s on the .de site are much smoother for AGP. Thanks.

http://www.asus.com/support/faq/qanda.aspx?KB_ID=81828&SLanguage=en-us

"What is the largest hard disk drive which P3V4X can take?

P3V4X should have no problem supporting 100GB HDD (Tested with
Maxtor) using BIOS Version 1005 or later.

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=2&l3_id=2&m_id=1&f_name=pv4x1063.zip~zaqwedc

"

http://www.asus.com/support/faq/qanda.aspx?KB_ID=81765&SLanguage=en-us

"What is the maximum hard disk capacity which P3V4X can support?

In theory, P3V4X can support HDD less than 127GB. When we tested
it with 100GB HDD we've found no problem. Please update your BIOS
to v1006.002 or later from:

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/beta/mb/bios/p3v4x1062.zip"

Asus seems quite insistent that drives up to 128GB are supported.
The Asus FAQ doesn't state what will happen, if the drive is larger
than 128GB.

Perhaps a nice PCI IDE controller, like PROMISE "ULTRA133 TX2" will
support the whole drive for you.

Paul

nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in message news:<nospam-0904050342360001@192.168.1.178>...
> In article <QIGdnZuhQvLwDcjfRVn-jw@rcn.net>, "Frank Haber"
> <frhaber@N0SPMrcn.com> wrote:
>
> > Update. 1006.004 beta did NOT change max HD size. The BIOS still detects
> > both a WD and Maxtor 160 as 80-something. Ah, well.
> >
> > But the 4-in-1s on the .de site are much smoother for AGP. Thanks.
>
> http://www.asus.com/support/faq/qanda.aspx?KB_ID=81828&SLanguage=en-us
>
> "What is the largest hard disk drive which P3V4X can take?
>
> P3V4X should have no problem supporting 100GB HDD (Tested with
> Maxtor) using BIOS Version 1005 or later.
>
> http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=2&l3_id=2&m_id=1&f_name=pv4x1063.zip~zaqwedc
>

> "
>
> http://www.asus.com/support/faq/qanda.aspx?KB_ID=81765&SLanguage=en-us
>
> "What is the maximum hard disk capacity which P3V4X can support?
>
> In theory, P3V4X can support HDD less than 127GB. When we tested
> it with 100GB HDD we've found no problem. Please update your BIOS
> to v1006.002 or later from:
>
> ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/beta/mb/bios/p3v4x1062.zip"
>
> Asus seems quite insistent that drives up to 128GB are supported.
> The Asus FAQ doesn't state what will happen, if the drive is larger
> than 128GB.
>
> Perhaps a nice PCI IDE controller, like PROMISE "ULTRA133 TX2" will
> support the whole drive for you.
>
> Paul

Maybe I am doing something wrong?

Maybe I don't understand the question?

I am running a P3V4x with BIOS 1003 (the one it came with) and I use a
120 GB as Drive C; a 30 GB as Drive D; and a 200 GB as a USB portable
Backup Drive. I used to have the 200 GB drive installed as my Drive E
before I got the USB enclosure and went through the process of
disabling a DVD whenever I needed the 200 GB for backups. That quickly
became a pain so I got the USB enclosure for it.

They all work like a charm, so did I misunderstand what the problem is
under discussion here?