A7V880 Questions

Hi,

I`m considering buying this board but have a Q that I can`t find an
answer to anywhere on the web. Does this board support 2 floppy drives
on the FDD controller or only 1? I`d really appreciate a definate
answer to this from someone who has this mb, and I do have a good
reason for needing 2 floppy drives.

Also is this a stable and reliable board for gaming or would I be
better off with an nforce chipset?

Thanks.

Mark.
5 answers Last reply
More about a7v880 questions

    mark@invalidemail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I`m considering buying this board but have a Q that I can`t find an
    > answer to anywhere on the web. Does this board support 2 floppy drives
    > on the FDD controller or only 1? I`d really appreciate a definate
    > answer to this from someone who has this mb, and I do have a good
    > reason for needing 2 floppy drives.
    >
    > Also is this a stable and reliable board for gaming or would I be
    > better off with an nforce chipset?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mark.

    I don't see why not... A standard floppy cable with an A and B connector
    will allow you to connect two floppy devices.

    Matt

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:01:36 -0700, Matias Silva <matt@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >mark@invalidemail.com wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I`m considering buying this board but have a Q that I can`t find an
    >> answer to anywhere on the web. Does this board support 2 floppy drives
    >> on the FDD controller or only 1? I`d really appreciate a definate
    >> answer to this from someone who has this mb, and I do have a good
    >> reason for needing 2 floppy drives.
    >>
    >> Also is this a stable and reliable board for gaming or would I be
    >> better off with an nforce chipset?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Mark.
    >
    >I don't see why not... A standard floppy cable with an A and B connector
    >will allow you to connect two floppy devices.
    >
    >Matt

    It`s been reported though that some of the newer motherboards have
    controllers that only support 1 floppy.

    Here is one example:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe=off&threadm=nospam-2005040002270001%40192.168.1.177&rnum=6&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dfloppy%2Bupdate%2Bgroup:alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus%26hl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_en%26safe%3Doff%26selm%3Dnospam-2005040002270001%2540192.168.1.177%26rnum%3D6

    --

    Mark

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 02:09:19 GMT, mark@invalidemail.com wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I`m considering buying this board but have a Q that I can`t find an
    >answer to anywhere on the web. Does this board support 2 floppy drives
    >on the FDD controller or only 1? I`d really appreciate a definate
    >answer to this from someone who has this mb, and I do have a good
    >reason for needing 2 floppy drives.
    >
    >Also is this a stable and reliable board for gaming or would I be
    >better off with an nforce chipset?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Mark.

    Doesn`t anyone in this group have one of these boards then? Even if
    you could just have a look in the bios to see if there is an option
    for drive B ;)

    --
    Mark

    M Lynn wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 02:09:19 GMT, mark@invalidemail.com wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I`m considering buying this board but have a Q that I can`t find an
    >>answer to anywhere on the web. Does this board support 2 floppy drives
    >>on the FDD controller or only 1? I`d really appreciate a definate
    >>answer to this from someone who has this mb, and I do have a good
    >>reason for needing 2 floppy drives.
    >>
    >>Also is this a stable and reliable board for gaming or would I be
    >>better off with an nforce chipset?
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>Mark.
    >

    > Doesn`t anyone in this group have one of these boards then? Even if
    > you could just have a look in the bios to see if there is an option
    > for drive B ;)

    Page 2-11 of the manual has a picture of the BIOS screen in question.

    There is mention of "Legacy Diskette A", but not B.

    http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/KT880/A7V880/e1791_a7v880.pdf

    Ben

    On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 13:51:09 +0100, Ben Pope
    <benpope81@_REMOVE_gmail.com> wrote:

    >Page 2-11 of the manual has a picture of the BIOS screen in question.
    >
    >There is mention of "Legacy Diskette A", but not B.
    >
    >http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/KT880/A7V880/e1791_a7v880.pdf
    >
    >Ben

    Thanks, it looks I`ll have to get something else now.

    --
    Mark

Asus Floppy Disk Motherboards