Question about image reload: ide to sata

jk

Hi

I have a computer with IDE harddisk. And a new one with sata
harddisk. This has 2 IDE ports also.

I have several partitions on both harddisks, but I want to create an
image of my c-drive on the IDE, and reload that as c-drive on the
sata.

Then I will have to make a repair windows xp installation to get this
reloaded image to boot. This since chipsets for the two motherboard
are not the same.

Can driveimage handle this ?

I have a bootable CD with driveimage.

Any other ways ?

best regards and thanks

John

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:04:21 +0200, in <alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus>, JK
<johnknuhtsenSP@Mmail.dk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a computer with IDE harddisk. And a new one with sata
> harddisk. This has 2 IDE ports also.
>
> I have several partitions on both harddisks, but I want to create an
> image of my c-drive on the IDE, and reload that as c-drive on the
> sata.
>
> Then I will have to make a repair windows xp installation to get this
> reloaded image to boot. This since chipsets for the two motherboard
> are not the same.
>
> Can driveimage handle this ?

[snip]

The definitive answer is "maybe".

But the larger question is why you'd want to bother with this convoluted
tapdance in the first place? If I'm following your saga correctly, you've got
a whole new system, with a different motherboard and (presumably) different
CPU, different PCI/AGP chipset, different I/O controllers, different disk
drives, different video, different sound, different peripherals... etc. So in
effect, you're going to a lot of effort to wind up with, *if* you're lucky, a
system that you can still never *really* count on to be properly configured;
even if it *seems* to work, that's just asking for problems down the line.

The only really right way to do this is a ground-up installation of the OS
(hopefully *not* WinXP; but that's a side issue at this point), application
programs, etc.; then reload your data from the backups you *did* make before
you started any of this (or transfer it directly from the old system via a LAN
connection, if that old system is still completely functional), and call it a
day.

--

Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------

-- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
47 USC S227 and State Law. Violators are subject to prosecution.

Spawn

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004

I have to agree,if you are trying to image a drive from one computer to
another computer that has a differant chipset aswell as a proc and
Motherboard,you are asking for a whole lot of trouble.The best thing to do
is do a fresh load of your O.S. on the new system and then transfer anything
that you wnat to keep from the old system.

"JK" <johnknuhtsenSP@Mmail.dk> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> I have a computer with IDE harddisk. And a new one with sata
> harddisk. This has 2 IDE ports also.
>
> I have several partitions on both harddisks, but I want to create an
> image of my c-drive on the IDE, and reload that as c-drive on the
> sata.
>
> Then I will have to make a repair windows xp installation to get this
> reloaded image to boot. This since chipsets for the two motherboard
> are not the same.
>
> Can driveimage handle this ?
>
> I have a bootable CD with driveimage.
>
> Any other ways ?