JB

i have a laptop with 2000 and xp home on it and i want to
totally erase everything. how do i do it? thanks

bar

Will you be installing a new Operating System [reinstall XP for example]?

If so: simply boot off the CD - with XP installation disk inserted in the CD
ROM. Windows installation will boot up and give you the option to format and
install in existing Partition. This is known as a clean install.

If you simply want to sell the Laptop and make sure everything is erased,
then choose to format the hard drive from within windows explorer.

"jb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i have a laptop with 2000 and xp home on it and i want to
> totally erase everything. how do i do it? thanks

- Boot withour Win2000/XP CD
- Select "format" when prompted

jb wrote:
> *i have a laptop with 2000 and xp home on it and i want to
> totally erase everything. how do i do it? thanks *

Hi,

I suppose using free KillDisk softwarwe to completely erase HDD. It
erases the whole drive so you sould re-partition and re-format
afterwards. It is impossible to recover any data after using KillDisk.
It also supports some secure erase algorithms such as Guttman's. Head
to www.killdisk.com for more info and download issues.

--
Brona