Kodak Soft Gloss Picture Paper for inkjet printers

I'm evaluating refill inks for my Canon i550 printer, using an older
version of this color scale image: http://displaymate.com/dwscs.html.
When I use Canon high gloss paper, each of the squares, all colors, has
sharply defined edges on all four sides. With the Kodak paper, many of
the squares have very ragged edges, especially along the edges that
border with black. (Same ink tanks were used with both brands.)

While barely visible on the above link, there is a gray scale just above
the red one at the top. With the Kodak paper, all four edges of each
gray square are as sharp as with the Canon paper. Drop down one row, to
the red squares, and the edges are horribly ragged, with the raggedness
greatest at the right end and getting less toward the left end.

All the rows below the red one have acceptably sharp edges, but not as
good as with the Canon paper.

I printed the test pattern a second time on the Kodak paper; same (but
not identical) ragged edges in the red row.

I'm disappointed that a product from a company like Kodak would give
such poor performance. Thanks for any comments/insights you offer.

Ray
14 answers Last reply
More about kodak soft gloss picture paper inkjet printers

    Ray K wrote:
    > I'm evaluating refill inks for my Canon i550 printer, using an older
    > version of this color scale image: http://displaymate.com/dwscs.html.
    > When I use Canon high gloss paper, each of the squares, all colors,
    > has sharply defined edges on all four sides. With the Kodak paper,
    > many of the squares have very ragged edges, especially along the
    > edges that border with black. (Same ink tanks were used with both
    > brands.)
    >
    > While barely visible on the above link, there is a gray scale just
    > above the red one at the top. With the Kodak paper, all four edges of
    > each gray square are as sharp as with the Canon paper. Drop down one
    > row, to the red squares, and the edges are horribly ragged, with the
    > raggedness greatest at the right end and getting less toward the left
    > end.
    >
    > All the rows below the red one have acceptably sharp edges, but not as
    > good as with the Canon paper.
    >
    > I printed the test pattern a second time on the Kodak paper; same (but
    > not identical) ragged edges in the red row.
    >
    > I'm disappointed that a product from a company like Kodak would give
    > such poor performance. Thanks for any comments/insights you offer.
    >
    > Ray

    This is my second Canon unit (i9950). I used Kodak (Premium Glossy) in my
    first because Jessops had it on special and I needed some A4 photo paper.
    Never again! I don't know what in Hades they'd coated it with, or whether
    Canon inks just aren't compatible with Kodak paper, but it wouldn't dry! It
    came out slightly smeared and, ½-hour later it *STILL* wasn't completely
    dry! I think quite a few people will tell you a similar story (though not
    necessarily with Canon). I never tried it in my last but one printer (Epson
    SP895) but I think there are some who will tell you the same about Epson.

    Cerridwen wrote:
    > Ray K wrote:
    >
    >>I'm evaluating refill inks for my Canon i550 printer, using an older
    >>version of this color scale image: http://displaymate.com/dwscs.html.
    >>When I use Canon high gloss paper, each of the squares, all colors,
    >>has sharply defined edges on all four sides. With the Kodak paper,
    >>many of the squares have very ragged edges, especially along the
    >>edges that border with black. (Same ink tanks were used with both
    >>brands.)
    >>
    >>While barely visible on the above link, there is a gray scale just
    >>above the red one at the top. With the Kodak paper, all four edges of
    >>each gray square are as sharp as with the Canon paper. Drop down one
    >>row, to the red squares, and the edges are horribly ragged, with the
    >>raggedness greatest at the right end and getting less toward the left
    >>end.
    >>
    >>All the rows below the red one have acceptably sharp edges, but not as
    >>good as with the Canon paper.
    >>
    >>I printed the test pattern a second time on the Kodak paper; same (but
    >>not identical) ragged edges in the red row.
    >>
    >>I'm disappointed that a product from a company like Kodak would give
    >>such poor performance. Thanks for any comments/insights you offer.
    >>
    >>Ray
    >

    > This is my second Canon unit (i9950). I used Kodak (Premium Glossy) in my
    > first because Jessops had it on special and I needed some A4 photo paper.
    > Never again! I don't know what in Hades they'd coated it with, or whether
    > Canon inks just aren't compatible with Kodak paper, but it wouldn't dry! It
    > came out slightly smeared and, ½-hour later it *STILL* wasn't completely
    > dry! I think quite a few people will tell you a similar story (though not
    > necessarily with Canon). I never tried it in my last but one printer (Epson
    > SP895) but I think there are some who will tell you the same about Epson.

    Yes, I noticed the Kosak papers were slightly damp right out of the
    printer, but they dried rather fast. (Sorry, I didn't time it, because I
    didn't consider it a problem compared to the ragged edges.)

    Thanks for the comments.

    Ray

    "Ray K" <raykosXXX@optonline.net> wrote in message

    > I printed the test pattern a second time on the Kodak paper; same (but
    > not identical) ragged edges in the red row.
    >
    > I'm disappointed that a product from a company like Kodak would give
    > such poor performance. Thanks for any comments/insights you offer.

    Can't coment on Kodak paper in Canon printers but I do know that such an
    incompatibility isn't uncommon. What works well in one printer is hopeless
    in another. I have an HP895cxi and an Epson 2100. One is a dye printer the
    other uses pigment ink so I expect some differences however some papers work
    great in both but others only work well in one or the other.

    For info the best photo paper I've found that works well in both is the TDK
    270g PRO Quality Photo Glossy...but it's sometimes hard to find.

    CWatters wrote:

    > "Ray K" <raykosXXX@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>I printed the test pattern a second time on the Kodak paper; same (but
    >>not identical) ragged edges in the red row.
    >>
    >>I'm disappointed that a product from a company like Kodak would give
    >>such poor performance. Thanks for any comments/insights you offer.
    >

    > Can't coment on Kodak paper in Canon printers but I do know that such an
    > incompatibility isn't uncommon. What works well in one printer is hopeless
    > in another. I have an HP895cxi and an Epson 2100. One is a dye printer the
    > other uses pigment ink so I expect some differences however some papers work
    > great in both but others only work well in one or the other.
    >
    > For info the best photo paper I've found that works well in both is the TDK
    > 270g PRO Quality Photo Glossy...but it's sometimes hard to find.

    Thanks for the additional insights. My best bet is to stay with the
    Canon paper, although changing the printer settings minimized many of
    the problems. Read the thread titled "Refill inks from Atlascopy."

    Ray

    I just returned a box of Kodak "Ultra" Glossy Paper. The output using either
    my Canon i950 or i960 was simply awful! I thought I would give it a try
    since Kodak now has a free software program which is designed to
    automatically set the correct driver parameters for the specific brand and
    model printer being used with this "Hi-End" paper. Both the preset
    automatic settings and the manually specified ones Kodak supplies produced
    ugly output. Funny, the recommended Kodak paper setting for the i950 is
    "Plain Paper" and the identical print engine i960 is specified to be set at
    Photo Paper Plus Glossy"?
    The plain paper setting was terrible and the Plus Glossy somewhat better but
    still unacceptible quality.
    I'm happily back using either Office Depot Glossy Photo or Ilford Smooth
    Gloss Paper as suitable and less expensive alternatives to Canon's Photo
    Paper Pro. The Ilford is even less expensive than the Kodak, just about the
    same weight and with a much higher glossy surface. This was truly an
    acception to the usual rule that you get what you pay for since, IMO, the
    less expensive Ilford and OD papers are the superior products!

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 17:31:06 -0400, "coinman1" <coinman1@bigfoot.com>
    wrote:

    >I just returned a box of Kodak "Ultra" Glossy Paper. The output using either
    >my Canon i950 or i960 was simply awful! I thought I would give it a try
    >since Kodak now has a free software program which is designed to
    >automatically set the correct driver parameters for the specific brand and
    >model printer being used with this "Hi-End" paper. Both the preset
    >automatic settings and the manually specified ones Kodak supplies produced
    >ugly output. Funny, the recommended Kodak paper setting for the i950 is
    >"Plain Paper" and the identical print engine i960 is specified to be set at
    >Photo Paper Plus Glossy"?
    >The plain paper setting was terrible and the Plus Glossy somewhat better but
    >still unacceptible quality.
    >I'm happily back using either Office Depot Glossy Photo or Ilford Smooth
    >Gloss Paper as suitable and less expensive alternatives to Canon's Photo
    >Paper Pro. The Ilford is even less expensive than the Kodak, just about the
    >same weight and with a much higher glossy surface. This was truly an
    >acception to the usual rule that you get what you pay for since, IMO, the
    >less expensive Ilford and OD papers are the superior products!

    I felt the same way about the Kodak Ultima. The settings for the 960
    worked except the one setting that said "Picture" had to be put to
    "NONE" after I tried that, it is absolutely the best print Ive seen.

    Im sure you will never try Kodak ultima again but incase you do, set
    the print type to none and im sure you will get good results.

    Print Type set to "None"??
    Kodak says to set Print Type to "Photo" in both the i950 and i960 printer
    settings!
    Strange that Kodak suggests settings that won't work after going to the
    trouble of making such detailed setup charts for each specific printer.
    That alone turns me off to them. Curious, have you tried the Ilford paper
    and compared the two?
    I still think the Ilford has a higher gloss and smoother surface.
    Thanks for your input.

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 18:53:27 -0400, "coinman1" <coinman1@bigfoot.com>
    wrote:

    >Print Type set to "None"??
    >Kodak says to set Print Type to "Photo" in both the i950 and i960 printer
    >settings!
    >Strange that Kodak suggests settings that won't work after going to the
    >trouble of making such detailed setup charts for each specific printer.
    >That alone turns me off to them. Curious, have you tried the Ilford paper
    >and compared the two?
    >I still think the Ilford has a higher gloss and smoother surface.
    >Thanks for your input.

    Well, Perhaps if I used a diffrent color profile etc etc.. I think
    thats where alot of shifting begins. Kodak and others go through the
    trouble of telling you what settings to use for what papers and what
    printer but what they can not possibly cover is everyones colorspace
    or printer profile they are using.

    But yes, setting the print type to 'None", you will see the demo
    graphic on the left "Desaturate" and thats what is needed and that
    brings it down to earth. I would never use "Picture" for a print type.

    Im just using a basic rgb profile.. none of the fancy adobe stuff that
    brightens the reds and blue or anything enhanced... Hell, I want to be
    in control of my saturation and colors, I dont want this "Guess-ware"
    doing what they think is best when it cant see it..

    All I know is the setting on the kodak paper is absolutely fabulous...
    Also, I did use a yellow setting of 5 when they call for 10 for my
    paper.

    I have not tried the Illford paper so I can not comment on the
    comparison. What I would like to know, Does the Illford have a rigid
    backing like the kodak papers or a mat backing that gets warped with
    ink.

    Redriver is great paper but it does go out of shape a bit but its not
    an issue. Its not heavy warping but its not rigid like the Kodak
    ultima.

    Oh, I really like the spray protectants from krylon as well. They give
    a wonderful rich look when applied properly... 10-12 inches away...
    Its a very nice studio sheen that enhancess any glossy paper. Very
    very nice.. plus, you dont have to worry about ink on the photo
    sticking to the glass that you framed it in... I think many have been
    there and done that....

    The protectant prevents that and fading as well. As a matter of fact,
    I accidently got a drop of water on one photo from a glass i was
    holding. All it did was form a bead and it blotted away without
    damage.

    I also read about using basic clearcoat finish that you could get in
    any paint supply dirt cheap. I may try that next.

    Sorry for making this sooooo lengthy..

    Yes, the Ilford paper has a rigid backing and it absorbs all the ink you
    need to throw at it. Also, it's not a billboard for their advertising as it
    is with the Kodak, Kodak, Kodak. The surface of the Ilford already has that
    deep glossy appearance which makes it look completely photographic. I have
    yet to have a sticking problem but it is, however, still not waterproof. I,
    too, have tried several protective coatings including Krylon to provide true
    waterproofing when I produce posters and signs, but they all seem to dry
    with many minute dust particles hardened in them which is not suitable for
    the highest quality photo work.

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 00:17:17 -0400, "coinman1" <coinman1@bigfoot.com>
    wrote:

    >Yes, the Ilford paper has a rigid backing and it absorbs all the ink you
    >need to throw at it. Also, it's not a billboard for their advertising as it
    >is with the Kodak, Kodak, Kodak. The surface of the Ilford already has that
    >deep glossy appearance which makes it look completely photographic. I have
    >yet to have a sticking problem but it is, however, still not waterproof. I,
    >too, have tried several protective coatings including Krylon to provide true
    >waterproofing when I produce posters and signs, but they all seem to dry
    >with many minute dust particles hardened in them which is not suitable for
    >the highest quality photo work.

    ok on the illford paper.. Ill have to look for them or order online
    somewhere.

    about the spray.. yes, it needs to be applied in a particle free room
    I usually use my garage for a quick spray.. I think you may be
    applying it as a clear coat to get a glass finish... Its actually made
    to give a "satin" type of look...

    I tried the gloss or clear plastic type finish but its impossible to
    keep particle free as it would spit out small particles from the can..

    anyway, i bet if you used it 10-12 inches away with light spraying, Im
    sure you would like the enhancement.

    Greetings Cerriden,

    Sorry to hear about your disappointments. Actually, if you reviewed the
    settings noted for your printer on our website, (I am assuming you meant
    i950). I think you will find that when used with Kodak paper in your
    printer, the results will be dramatically different than those you reported.
    Kodak has gone to a lot of trouble to test most of the Canon as well as
    Epson, HP, Lexmark, etc. printers so you can get your best results.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    > about the spray.. yes, it needs to be applied in a particle free room

    I find outdoors works best.

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 10:13:10 GMT, "CWatters"
    <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote:

    >I find outdoors works best.

    hehe, not if its constanly breezy outside.. i thought it was calm one
    time and i start spraying. I ended up with blobs instead of an even
    coat.. so I used my outside garage after that.

    > On Wed, 26 May 2004 10:13:10 GMT, "CWatters"
    > <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote:
    >
    > >I find outdoors works best.
    >

    > hehe, not if its constanly breezy outside.. i thought it was calm one
    > time and i start spraying. I ended up with blobs instead of an even
    > coat.. so I used my outside garage after that.

    Yeah watch out for cats as well!

Printers Canon Kodak Peripherals