windows installation freezes at hardware detection

Hi,
I've had my desktop computer for a while now, it's a 1.5
GHz P4 with 512 MB Ram and a 80 Gig HD, with another 13
Gig as a secondary hd.

Long story short, I've formatted my computer in DOS, both
Hard Drives, and both of them are in FAT32 format (using
MS-Fdisk). When I pop in the Win XP CD for booting, it
boots but freezes at the point "Windows is detecting your
hardware configuration...". I've formatted my computer
before with the same exact hardware configuration but
this is the first time it's ever frozen.

I tried Windows XP, 2000, ME, and 98, and none could
install. For ME and 98, it freezes at "Copying files
needed for set up".

By freeze I mean no hard-drive or CD Rom activity, but
the DOS cursor is still blinking.

Please help! Thank you!
1 answer Last reply
More about windows installation freezes hardware detection

    Try a different CD ROM drive. It sounds like the hard drives and floppy
    work ok if you can use both of these and you can format the drive. It
    just sounds like the CD ROM drive isn't doing its job. Also, for future
    reference, it is advised that you format your drives from the Windows XP
    Setup instead of using Fdisk\Format.com. I would highly recommend using
    NTFS unless you plan on trying to access the drive with Windows 98 on
    the same computer.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Neil H wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I've had my desktop computer for a while now, it's a 1.5
    > GHz P4 with 512 MB Ram and a 80 Gig HD, with another 13
    > Gig as a secondary hd.
    >
    > Long story short, I've formatted my computer in DOS, both
    > Hard Drives, and both of them are in FAT32 format (using
    > MS-Fdisk). When I pop in the Win XP CD for booting, it
    > boots but freezes at the point "Windows is detecting your
    > hardware configuration...". I've formatted my computer
    > before with the same exact hardware configuration but
    > this is the first time it's ever frozen.
    >
    > I tried Windows XP, 2000, ME, and 98, and none could
    > install. For ME and 98, it freezes at "Copying files
    > needed for set up".
    >
    > By freeze I mean no hard-drive or CD Rom activity, but
    > the DOS cursor is still blinking.
    >
    > Please help! Thank you!

Hardware Computers Windows XP