Video card compatibility

hi group. I was just wondering if the A7V classic is compatible with 2x AGP
video card?
3 answers Last reply
More about video card compatibility

    In article <Wwp5e.75$R96.1392@news.uswest.net>, "DaveJr"
    <davesbrain@qwest.net> wrote:

    > hi group. I was just wondering if the A7V classic is compatible with 2x AGP
    > video card?

    The A7V manual mentions 4X AGP. To do 4X AGP, that motherboard uses
    1.5V AGP voltage.

    The picture in the manual shows an AGP pro slot (has the two sections
    on the end of the connector - extra power pins for cards that need
    them). In the center section of the connector, there are no
    plastic keys. That means the connector is actually AGP pro universal,
    and can run at 3.3V or 1.5V.

    At 1.5V, it can run at 1X/2X/4X
    At 3.3V, it can run at 1X/2X

    I found some really good pages you might enjoy. The first
    page should answer your question. If you look at the
    "Practical Motherboard And Card Compatibility" table,
    your motherboard is the middle row, and any card will
    plug into your AGP slot.

    "AGP Compatibility For Sticklers"
    http://www.playtool.com/PT/AGPCompat/agp.html

    "Video RAM Memory Bandwidth" (consult before shopping)
    http://www.playtool.com/PT/VRAMWidth/width.html

    "Troubleshooting AGP" (using tuner tools)
    http://www.playtool.com/PT/AGPFix/agpfix.html

    One question I would have liked to see answered on those
    pages, is what happens when an AGP 3.0 card (that only
    runs 3.0 protocol, and is not a dual personality card)
    meets an AGP 2.0 Northbridge (like yours). The register
    definition of the AGP speed, for the 3.0 device, is 1001=8x
    and 1000=4x, while for the 2.0 device, it is 100=4x, 010=2x,
    001=1x, and there is no fourth (MSB) bit.

    What I am concerned about there, is not the video card
    driver, which can probably work out that it is dealing
    with such a combo, but with the motherboard BIOS. How
    can a BIOS designed for a AGP 2.0 world, deal with what
    it reads in the AGP 3.0 video card speed bits ? I
    still haven't worked out how that works. (Some motherboards
    "black screen" with certain video cards, and I'm just
    suspicious. After all, motherboards have a BIOS AGP speed
    setting, suggesting the BIOS does try to configure things
    before booting.)

    HTH,
    Paul

    "DaveJr" <davesbrain@qwest.net> wrote in message
    > hi group. I was just wondering if the A7V classic is compatible with 2x
    AGP
    > video card?

    ASUS A7V Motherboard Specifications
    CPUs Supported Socket A, currently 550MHz-1 GHz+ (compatible with AMD
    Duron/Thunderbird series)
    Chipset VIA VT8363 (KT-133) Northbridge
    VIA 82C686A Southbridge and I/O Controller
    Bus Speeds 100-133MHz in 1MHz increments (200-266MHz effective rate)
    CPU voltage settings Voltage Autodetect
    Manually adjustable to 1.60-2.10v (.05v increments), 2.20v, 2.30v
    Formula used: -.4v to +.1v (.05 increments) and +.2v and +.3v
    BIOS 2Mbit Award BIOS (Full ACPI, DMI, PnP, Trend ChipAway Boot Virus
    Protect)
    Form Factor ATX, 24.5 cm x 30.5 cm.
    Overclocking Rev 1.02 (no audio) supports CPU multiplier adjustment
    (will not help with factory locked CPU)
    Voltage control in .05v increments
    System Memory 3 168 Pin SDRAM DIMMs, Maximum 1.5GB
    PC100, PC133, and PC133 VCM (Virtual Channel)
    Expansion Slots 1 AGP Pro AGP 4x
    5 PCI v2.2
    1 Audio/Modem Riser (shared with PCI slot)
    IDE Support 2 Ultra DMA/100, Promise PDC20265 EIDE Controller
    2 Ultra DMA/66, VIA Southbridge EIDE Controller
    Sound Support AC '97 Compliant 2D Audio Controller (optional)
    Crystal 4299 Audio Codec
    Ports 2 USB v1.1 standard, with support for 5 more
    1 Parallel, ECP and EPP supported
    2 Serial, max 115,200bps FIFO
    1 PS/2 Keyboard
    1 PS/2 Mouse
    1 Game/Midi/Audio Riser (optional)
    PC Monitoring CPU and Motherboard temperature detection
    Fan speed detection
    Voltage detection
    Boot Options IDE HDD (Promise and VIA Controllers)
    CD-ROM (VIA Controller Only)
    Floppy Drive
    SCSI
    ZIP/LS-120

    > "AGP Compatibility For Sticklers"
    > http://www.playtool.com/PT/AGPCompat/agp.html
    >
    > "Video RAM Memory Bandwidth" (consult before shopping)
    > http://www.playtool.com/PT/VRAMWidth/width.html
    >
    > "Troubleshooting AGP" (using tuner tools)
    > http://www.playtool.com/PT/AGPFix/agpfix.html

    Hey Pual, those pages answered more than just my posted question. Tons of
    very helpful info.

Asus Graphics Cards Compatibility Motherboards