Intel (or AMD) dual core compatible motherboard

Can we have an idea of date for dual core compatible motherboard ?

Somes website prublished review of Intel Dual core Pentium, wth an Intel
motherboard.

It seem NVidia will also made chipset copatible with dual core pentium...
4 answers Last reply
More about intel dual core compatible motherboard

    Gilles Vollant wrote:
    > Can we have an idea of date for dual core compatible motherboard ?
    >
    > Somes website prublished review of Intel Dual core Pentium, wth an Intel
    > motherboard.
    >
    > It seem NVidia will also made chipset copatible with dual core pentium...

    Socket 939 and 940 motherboards are supposed to be dual-core
    compatible with nothing more than a BIOS upgrade. However, AMD
    has apparently upped the TDP from 95W to 110W, so I would worry
    about some older motherboards not being able to deliver enough
    juice to the faster dual-core CPUs.

    In the meantime, HP has demoed a pair of 2.x GHz dual-core
    Opterons in an xw9300 workstation, which uses the Tyan S2895
    motherboard.

    I would expect Asus and Tyan and other motherboard manufacturers
    to keep their CPU/motherboard compatibility lists reasonably
    up-to-date. They might not have updated info for something like
    Intel's recent paper release of dual-core Pentiums, but they
    should by the time the actual releases of Intel or AMD dual-core
    chips happens.

    On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 15:03:09 +0200, "Gilles Vollant"
    <info@winimage.com> wrote:

    >Can we have an idea of date for dual core compatible motherboard ?

    Not to be too negative, BUT

    When these dual core processors FINALLY come out (I'm sure current
    socket 939 fans can relate to that) what do you think they'll cost ?
    As much as Opterons ? As much as FX chips ? How long before they're
    available in quantity and under $300 ? $400 ?

    I suggest that by the time they're really available to the masses,
    you'll be into DDR2 memory motherboards and will require a different
    socket than the 939 (extra control lines for DDR2 rumor has it).

    Anyone figure out what size the heatsink is going to have to be on one
    of these things ?

    "Rob Stow" <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> a écrit dans le message de news:
    UZQ5e.939224$8l.280015@pd7tw1no...

    > Socket 939 and 940 motherboards are supposed to be dual-core compatible
    > with nothing more than a BIOS upgrade. However, AMD has apparently upped
    > the TDP from 95W to 110W, so I would worry about some older motherboards
    > not being able to deliver enough juice to the faster dual-core CPUs.

    are Asus A8V and A8N serie compatible with 110W ?

    the_grouch wrote:
    > On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 15:03:09 +0200, "Gilles Vollant"
    > <info@winimage.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Can we have an idea of date for dual core compatible motherboard ?
    >
    > Not to be too negative, BUT
    >
    > When these dual core processors FINALLY come out (I'm sure current
    > socket 939 fans can relate to that) what do you think they'll cost ?
    > As much as Opterons ? As much as FX chips ? How long before they're
    > available in quantity and under $300 ? $400 ?

    FX chips will still be the fastest chips... so they will be the most
    expensive. Dual Cores should be less than FX, then.

    Current AMD Roadmaps Dual Cores at 2H05, thats socket 939 (Toledo) and
    socket 940 (Egypt, Italy, Denmark).

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_608,00.html

    > I suggest that by the time they're really available to the masses,
    > you'll be into DDR2 memory motherboards and will require a different
    > socket than the 939 (extra control lines for DDR2 rumor has it).

    "Leaked" Roadmaps put DDR2 cores on socket M2 (Windsor, Orleans) at 1H06.

    So Dual Core chips should be available ~6 months prior to the new DDR2
    socket.

    > Anyone figure out what size the heatsink is going to have to be on one
    > of these things ?

    Design figures are at <110W, IIRC. Thats on a par with a P4, so not
    impossible... there's loads of people cooling that much power today.

    Ben

Asus Dual Core Compatibility Motherboards Intel