P4P800E-Delux: Monitoring Drive Temp?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Doesn't seem tb in Asus' "Probe" utility, but seems like such a logical
function...

I've got the board in Antec's Sonata case (with the sideways drive bays) and no
drive-specific fan.

Even if I had some sort of temp-monitoring device, I wouldn't know where to
attach the pickup (top of drive, side, bottom....)

Any suggestions? Links?
--
PeteCresswell

> Doesn't seem tb in Asus' "Probe" utility, but seems like such a logical
> function...
> I've got the board in Antec's Sonata case (with the sideways drive bays)
> and no
> drive-specific fan.
> Even if I had some sort of temp-monitoring device, I wouldn't know where
> attach the pickup (top of drive, side, bottom....)

What make and model is your hard drive? Many of today's SMART
capable hard drives have temperature sensors in them which can be
read by 3rd party programs such as Everest. (The Home version is free).
http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Per KC Computers:
>What make and model is your hard drive? Many of today's SMART
>capable hard drives have temperature sensors in them which can be
>read by 3rd party programs such as Everest. (The Home version is free).
>http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

Works like a charm.

Thanks!

Now I have to find out what the acceptable temp range is....

Seagate Barracuda 7200 ST3120327AS
--
PeteCresswell

0-60 C for ST3120827AS

Gr. Jan

"(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid> wrote in message
> Per KC Computers:
>>What make and model is your hard drive? Many of today's SMART
>>capable hard drives have temperature sensors in them which can be
>>read by 3rd party programs such as Everest. (The Home version is free).
>>http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en
>
> Works like a charm.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Now I have to find out what the acceptable temp range is....
>
> Seagate Barracuda 7200 ST3120327AS
> --
> PeteCresswell

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Per OldBoy:
>0-60 C for ST3120827AS

*Exactly* what I was trolling for.

Thanks....

BTW: Sonata case, single drive, P4 Prescott CPU, drive temp currently 50
degrees C.

This case/drive combination is sooooooo quiet...
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> Per OldBoy:
>
>>0-60 C for ST3120827AS
>

> *Exactly* what I was trolling for.
>
> Thanks....
>

> BTW: Sonata case, single drive, P4 Prescott CPU, drive temp currently 50
> degrees C.
>
> This case/drive combination is sooooooo quiet...

Quiet, but quite warm.

My drives are 35°C and 32°C.

Ben

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Per Ben Pope:
>Quiet, but quite warm.
>
>My drives are 35?C and 32?C.

Uh-Oh.... Time to figure out how to cram that Zalman silent drive cooler in
there.... Thanks for the reference point.
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> Per Ben Pope:
>
>>Quiet, but quite warm.
>>
>>My drives are 35?C and 32?C.
>

> Uh-Oh.... Time to figure out how to cram that Zalman silent drive cooler in
> there.... Thanks for the reference point.

I have a fan blowing across mine, but thre's actually three drives
stacked as close as they can get - so they should be quite warm.

They're not especially active though.

Ben

Paul

Splendid

In article <d3bkf8$d4l$1@reader08.wxs.nl>, "OldBoy" <boel069@noplanet.nl> wrote:

> 0-60 C for ST3120827AS
>
> Gr. Jan

While the Seagate documentation gives separate ratings
for temperature and humidity, the two parameters are in
fact related to one another. I learned this from some
nice IBM documentation on IBM disk drives. To get some
sample curves that illustrate the concept, try here:

http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/products/Deskstar_7K400
"Deskstar 7K400 Specification v1.4" (~1MB download)

On PDF page 64, is an operating curve that shows how
sensitive the drive is to humidity.

The reason for this, is disk drives are open to the atmosphere.
Disk drives have a "breather hole" and the drive equalizes to
atmospheric pressure. The "breather hole" is shown on PDF page
68 of the Hitachi document. A micron filter prevents particulate
from entering the drive, but not moisture.

If the air is below 15% humidity, then you can run it nice
and hot :) A comfortable room is 40% humidity, and on a
steamy summer day (without A.C.), a room can reach 60% humidity.
60% humidity is when your carpets start to mildew. A disk drive
can easily go outside the desirable range of conditions on a
summer's day.

I tried looking on the Seagate web site, but cannot find any
similar docs.

HTH,
Paul

Paul wrote:
> In article <d3bkf8$d4l$1@reader08.wxs.nl>, "OldBoy" <boel069@noplanet.nl> wrote:
>

>>0-60 C for ST3120827AS
>>
>>Gr. Jan
>

> While the Seagate documentation gives separate ratings
> for temperature and humidity, the two parameters are in
> fact related to one another. I learned this from some
> nice IBM documentation on IBM disk drives. To get some
> sample curves that illustrate the concept, try here:
>
> http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/products/Deskstar_7K400
> "Deskstar 7K400 Specification v1.4" (~1MB download)
>
> On PDF page 64, is an operating curve that shows how
> sensitive the drive is to humidity.
>
> The reason for this, is disk drives are open to the atmosphere.
> Disk drives have a "breather hole" and the drive equalizes to
> atmospheric pressure. The "breather hole" is shown on PDF page
> 68 of the Hitachi document. A micron filter prevents particulate
> from entering the drive, but not moisture.
>
> If the air is below 15% humidity, then you can run it nice
> and hot :) A comfortable room is 40% humidity, and on a
> steamy summer day (without A.C.), a room can reach 60% humidity.
> 60% humidity is when your carpets start to mildew. A disk drive
> can easily go outside the desirable range of conditions on a
> summer's day.

Very interesting. So in fact, at 35° (seems to be a fairly typical
operating temp), it's ok if humifity is <60%, but at 45° it needs to be
<32%.

I wonder what our cases are, typically? Probably during warm summers,
many of us operate our drives outside of spec - I wonder if thats why so
many drives fail, so often, when compared to the MBTF?

Ben

Paul

Splendid

In article <1113330410.a6cddbd47d7dfe2224bed436118cc634@teranews>, Ben
Pope <benpope81@_REMOVE_gmail.com> wrote:

> Very interesting. So in fact, at 35° (seems to be a fairly typical
> operating temp), it's ok if humifity is <60%, but at 45° it needs to be
> <32%.
>
> I wonder what our cases are, typically? Probably during warm summers,
> many of us operate our drives outside of spec - I wonder if thats why so
> many drives fail, so often, when compared to the MBTF?
>
> Ben

My central air conditioner was off for a month, a couple of years
ago, and I lost a Maxtor drive during that time. I have a couple of
humidistats, and the measured humidity was getting up to 60%, before
I got the A.C. running again. That is why I'm interested in the subject.

Paul