louis

DELL installed a hidden partition on my HD for
diagnostics that I cannot access.
It was "exposed" by my installing ROXIO Creator 6.
How can I "unhide" it? How can I delete it?
Thanks!

The only way to delete a hidden partition is to start
over from scratch by deleting all partitions, create
a new partition, format the new partition, then reinstall
Windows XP.

Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Louis" wrote:

| DELL installed a hidden partition on my HD for
| diagnostics that I cannot access.
| It was "exposed" by my installing ROXIO Creator 6.
| How can I "unhide" it? How can I delete it?
| Thanks!

Technically the diagnostic partition is accessible during POST.
Why do you want to delete it?

Delete it and you will lose the option to return your computer to the
condition it was in when it left the factory!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Louis" <midiot@juno.com> wrote in message
> DELL installed a hidden partition on my HD for
> diagnostics that I cannot access.
> It was "exposed" by my installing ROXIO Creator 6.
> How can I "unhide" it? How can I delete it?
> Thanks!

woody

You will need a 3rd party app. like Partition Magic to view and/or delete.
No real need to delete though. Very small partition that contains the Dell
diagnostic ulitity accessible from the boot menu. (also available from your
driver CD).

Woody

"Louis" <midiot@juno.com> wrote in message
> DELL installed a hidden partition on my HD for
> diagnostics that I cannot access.
> It was "exposed" by my installing ROXIO Creator 6.
> How can I "unhide" it? How can I delete it?
> Thanks!

woody

Why would you give advice like that Carey? (you normally have informative
answers). Seems like overkill for such a small issue. Partition can easily
be viewed/deleted using Partition Magic or equivalent though not necessary
in this case.

Woody

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> The only way to delete a hidden partition is to start
> over from scratch by deleting all partitions, create
> a new partition, format the new partition, then reinstall
> Windows XP.
>
> Clean Install Windows XP
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Louis" wrote:
>
> | DELL installed a hidden partition on my HD for
> | diagnostics that I cannot access.
> | It was "exposed" by my installing ROXIO Creator 6.
> | How can I "unhide" it? How can I delete it?
> | Thanks!

Also, I would not recommend deleting the Dell Diagnostic partition. For
the average user (and even advanced users), this is a great tool. It
doesn't get a drive letter assigned (Shows up as -: for the drive letter
during XP Setup). On my Dell Latitude D800, it uses this partition for
flashing of devices and is much more stable and reliable than trying to
use a floppy or CD. I would attempt to hide this partition again if
possible. I'm just not sure how you would go about doing that.

----
Nathan McNulty

Woody wrote:
> Why would you give advice like that Carey? (you normally have informative
> answers). Seems like overkill for such a small issue. Partition can easily
> be viewed/deleted using Partition Magic or equivalent though not necessary
> in this case.
>
> Woody
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>The only way to delete a hidden partition is to start
>>over from scratch by deleting all partitions, create
>>a new partition, format the new partition, then reinstall
>>Windows XP.
>>
>>Clean Install Windows XP
>>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>>
>>[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens
>>
>>--
>>Carey Frisch
>>Microsoft MVP
>>Windows XP - Shell/User
>>
>>Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
>>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

>>"Louis" wrote:
>>
>>| DELL installed a hidden partition on my HD for
>>| diagnostics that I cannot access.
>>| It was "exposed" by my installing ROXIO Creator 6.
>>| How can I "unhide" it? How can I delete it?
>>| Thanks!

Depends on what is on the partition and the disks that were provided
with the computer. My Dell Latitude D800 uses this partition to perform
things like flashing the BIOS and firmware of drives. It is a very
useful diagnostic tool as well. I would not delete it, but you may be
able to add it back if (BIG IF) the Support CD's that came with the
computer have that available.

----
Nathan McNulty