A7V880: onboard audio and sound card

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 10, 2005 2:29:33 AM

Hi.

I'm having a problem with the Asus A7V880 mobo I bought recently. I was
happy to find that it includes an onboard sound card (6-channel SoundMAX
digital audio AC'97 complaint) supporting the connection of audio jacks on
the chassis. However, I also found out that the new mobo no longer has a
game port on the back: it is only available on the board and can be used
only with a special cable that I don't have.

Until now; I have been using a old Creative SoundBlaster PCI 512 for both
4-channel audio and game port; the downside is that it does not support the
connection of chassis audio ports.

Now the question: is it possible to use my PCI audio card AND the onboard
audio at the same time? Of course in Windows I would set the onboard audio
as default hardware to play sounds and use the PCI card only for its game
port.
I have tried, but when my PCI audio card is connected the mobo somehow
recognizes it and the OS does not detect the presence of the onboard audio,
even while it is enabled in the BIOS.
Is there a solution?

Thank you in adavance.

--
Merak
Anonymous

Wht don't you buy a USB compatible Joystick? They work much better than
using a joystick port anyways.
"Merak" <me@anywhere.net> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I'm having a problem with the Asus A7V880 mobo I bought recently. I was
> happy to find that it includes an onboard sound card (6-channel SoundMAX
> digital audio AC'97 complaint) supporting the connection of audio jacks on
> the chassis. However, I also found out that the new mobo no longer has a
> game port on the back: it is only available on the board and can be used
> only with a special cable that I don't have.
>
> Until now; I have been using a old Creative SoundBlaster PCI 512 for both
> 4-channel audio and game port; the downside is that it does not support
the
> connection of chassis audio ports.
>
> Now the question: is it possible to use my PCI audio card AND the onboard
> audio at the same time? Of course in Windows I would set the onboard audio
> as default hardware to play sounds and use the PCI card only for its game
> port.
> I have tried, but when my PCI audio card is connected the mobo somehow
> recognizes it and the OS does not detect the presence of the onboard
audio,
> even while it is enabled in the BIOS.
> Is there a solution?
>
> Thank you in adavance.
>
> --
> Merak

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 11, 2005 2:00:45 PM

> Wht don't you buy a USB compatible Joystick? They work much better than
> using a joystick port anyways.

I know it would be better, but if I'm asking here I obviously already
considered that option. The problem is that I own many controllers,
including two expensive Sidewinder game pads (and I use them both) and I'm
going to try all the other options before re-buying them.
Related resources
April 11, 2005 9:41:58 PM

Missed the OP, but it sounds like you want to use the old style joystick
connectors on a machine without them.
If so have you tried instaling a card with a joystick port on it, then
disabling the other functions of the card (as usually they are sound cards).

I'm not to pleased with SoundMAX, apart from not sounding that great, I need
to reboot everytime I change my speaker configuration from headphones to
5.1. Seems amateurish to me

If I haven't described your problem, just ignore me ....
;-)

>> Wht don't you buy a USB compatible Joystick? They work much better than
>> using a joystick port anyways.
>
> I know it would be better, but if I'm asking here I obviously already
> considered that option. The problem is that I own many controllers,
> including two expensive Sidewinder game pads (and I use them both) and I'm
> going to try all the other options before re-buying them.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 11, 2005 10:26:22 PM

> If so have you tried instaling a card with a joystick port on it, then
> disabling the other functions of the card (as usually they are sound
> cards).

I tried disabling the driver in Device Manager, but the onboard chip remain
undetected until I physically unplug the card. One thing I didn't check is
wether there are jumpers on the card, but I remember not.

> I'm not to pleased with SoundMAX, apart from not sounding that great, I
> need to reboot everytime I change my speaker configuration from headphones
> to 5.1. Seems amateurish to me

I don't need a professional audio system: the main reason I would like to
use the onboard audio is to use the front panel connectors.

--
Merak
Anonymous

Merak wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm having a problem with the Asus A7V880 mobo I bought recently. I was
> happy to find that it includes an onboard sound card (6-channel SoundMAX
> digital audio AC'97 complaint) supporting the connection of audio jacks on
> the chassis. However, I also found out that the new mobo no longer has a
> game port on the back: it is only available on the board and can be used
> only with a special cable that I don't have.

Obviously this cable, with a back-panel connector would be ideal... can
you describe the connector? How many pins by how many pins and are any
missing?

e.g, many USB connectors look like this (fixed width font):
____________
2 |. . . . . |10
1 |. . . . |9
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

FPAudio like this:
____________
2 |. . . . |10
1 |. . . . . |9
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

I must admit that I haven't taken much notice... my old case with A7N8X
Deluxe has probably exactly what you're looking for in it.

On myy K8N Diamond there is not this functionality at all.

> Until now; I have been using a old Creative SoundBlaster PCI 512 for both
> 4-channel audio and game port; the downside is that it does not support the
> connection of chassis audio ports.
>
> Now the question: is it possible to use my PCI audio card AND the onboard
> audio at the same time? Of course in Windows I would set the onboard audio
> as default hardware to play sounds and use the PCI card only for its game
> port.

Often the BIOS has "Auto", "Disabled" as options for oinboard
peripherals. If it detects another peripheral of th same type it will
disable the onboard one.

> I have tried, but when my PCI audio card is connected the mobo somehow
> recognizes it and the OS does not detect the presence of the onboard audio,
> even while it is enabled in the BIOS.
> Is there a solution?

Ideally you want a back panel connecter - I've looked and not found any
for sale, but I'm sure there must be somewhere.

Alternatively you want a USB Game Port adaptor... I can't find any that
support digital controllers.

Ben
a b V Motherboard
April 12, 2005 6:28:30 PM

> Obviously this cable, with a back-panel connector would be ideal... can
> you describe the connector? How many pins by how many pins and are any
> missing?

Describing it.
The connector on the motherboard is made of 16-1 pins layed out like this:
_______________
1 |. . . . . . . .|15
2 |. . . . . . . |16
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Signal names:
1. +5V 2. +5V
3. J1B1 4. J2B1
5. J1CX 6. J2CX
7. GND 8. MIDI_OUT
9. GND 10. J2CY
11. J1CY 12. J2B2
13. J1B2 14. MIDI_IN
15. +5V 16. (not present)

As you can see it accomodates power and ground, digital signals for the two
buttons and analog signals for the two axis' for each of the two
controllers. The MIDI signals (I believe they are digital), originally
intended for music I/O, are exploited by newer gamepads to support more than
2 buttons and two axis'.

The one above is the header connector layout. Then there is a 15-pin ribbon
cable and finally a female game/MIDI port with 15 pins with the exact same
functions I described above.

> Often the BIOS has "Auto", "Disabled" as options for oinboard peripherals.
> If it detects another peripheral of th same type it will disable the
> onboard one.

In this case it is called "Enabled" but I must admit it looks more like
"Auto".

> Alternatively you want a USB Game Port adaptor... I can't find any that
> support digital controllers.

I found some but also read about problems with newer controllers that
exploit the MIDI signals.

> Ben
> --

Thanks for help!

--
Merak
April 12, 2005 9:50:58 PM

>> If so have you tried instaling a card with a joystick port on it, then
>> disabling the other functions of the card (as usually they are sound
>> cards).
>
> I tried disabling the driver in Device Manager, but the onboard chip
> remain undetected until I physically unplug the card. One thing I didn't
> check is wether there are jumpers on the card, but I remember not.

Have you tried different PCI slots? (just a thought)

>> I'm not to pleased with SoundMAX, apart from not sounding that great, I
>> need to reboot everytime I change my speaker configuration from
>> headphones to 5.1. Seems amateurish to me
>
> I don't need a professional audio system: the main reason I would like to
> use the onboard audio is to use the front panel connectors.

The only reason I mention it is because it is a bloody nuisance. If changing
speaker configs without rebooting can be done on an n-force board, there is
no reason it can't be done on others, after all isn't that what plug and
play is all about?

Any reason you can't run some cables from the back of the machine to the
front with some speaker jacks? IIRC when you use the front panel connectors
on the mobo, the rear speaker connectors are disabled. (I could be wrong
about that).

Another thought, are there adapters around that might work? I know there are
serial to USB adapters, maybe something similar for your needs - no
guarantee of (compatability naturally)

good luck.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 12, 2005 9:50:59 PM

abc wrote:
> The only reason I mention it is because it is a bloody nuisance. If changing
> speaker configs without rebooting can be done on an n-force board, there is
> no reason it can't be done on others, after all isn't that what plug and
> play is all about?

No plug and play is about having your hardware detected so that the OS
can automatically install the software.

Hot-reconfiguration is just something we're used to for many things.
Having to reboot when you change your speaker configuration is a bit
excessive.

> Any reason you can't run some cables from the back of the machine to the
> front with some speaker jacks? IIRC when you use the front panel connectors
> on the mobo, the rear speaker connectors are disabled. (I could be wrong
> about that).

Usually the FPAudio connecter has jumpers on it - these jumpers connect
the signal to the back panel connectors. When you plug the FPAudio
connector in, you are replacing the jumpers and so the sound goes to the
front instead.

Ben
a b V Motherboard
April 12, 2005 9:50:59 PM

> Have you tried different PCI slots? (just a thought)

Yes, tried it.

> Any reason you can't run some cables from the back of the machine to the
> front with some speaker jacks?

For the most part it's a matter of convenience: I liked the idea of being
able to plug things on the front side, mainly earphones and microphone,
which I don't keep constantly attached.

> IIRC when you use the front panel connectors on the mobo, the rear speaker
> connectors are disabled. (I could be wrong about that).

Each audio channel has two pins: forward signal and return signal (to back
connectors). My front panel connector has a Y cable for each channel, always
providing a path for current to the rear connectors: this way, earphones and
speakers are usable at the same time.

> Another thought, are there adapters around that might work? I know there
> are serial to USB adapters, maybe something similar for your needs - no
> guarantee of (compatability naturally)

I've searched for them and found some: however I have been told that they
may not work with controllers with more than 2 axis / 2 buttons because
those controllers usually exploit the MIDI functionality of the port and not
just the analog signals of the game port.

I've also searched for the cable that Asus claims to be "sold separatly" to
use the onboard game port: it's supposed to be a 15-pin ribbon cable with a
female game/MIDI port at one end and motherboard connectors at the other. I
couldn't find it anywhere though :(

--
Merak
April 12, 2005 9:51:00 PM

In article <AXO6e.53946$kC3.35807@tornado.fastwebnet.it>, "Merak"
<me@anywhere.net> wrote:

<<snip>>

> I've also searched for the cable that Asus claims to be "sold separatly" to
> use the onboard game port: it's supposed to be a 15-pin ribbon cable with a
> female game/MIDI port at one end and motherboard connectors at the other. I
> couldn't find it anywhere though :(
>
> --
> Merak

Here is an example:

"Asus USB2.0/Game Cable"
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

There is one pictured here, only 1.99 euro:
http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1...

Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 12, 2005 11:17:31 PM

Merak wrote:
>>Obviously this cable, with a back-panel connector would be ideal... can
>>you describe the connector? How many pins by how many pins and are any
>>missing?
>

> Describing it.
> The connector on the motherboard is made of 16-1 pins layed out like this:
> _______________
> 1 |. . . . . . . .|15
> 2 |. . . . . . . |16
> ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
> Signal names:
> 1. +5V 2. +5V
> 3. J1B1 4. J2B1
> 5. J1CX 6. J2CX
> 7. GND 8. MIDI_OUT
> 9. GND 10. J2CY
> 11. J1CY 12. J2B2
> 13. J1B2 14. MIDI_IN
> 15. +5V 16. (not present)

Hmm... thats close, but not quite what I have in the manual for my A7N8X...

It looks like you descibed the plug, rather then the socket on my board.
(if you get what I mean)

I suspect somebody got their head inside out, and that really, they are
the same. Swapping the top and bottom rows would make them the same.

Ben
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2005 1:03:57 AM

> Hmm... thats close, but not quite what I have in the manual for my
> A7N8X...
>
> It looks like you descibed the plug, rather then the socket on my board.
> (if you get what I mean)
>
> I suspect somebody got their head inside out, and that really, they are
> the same. Swapping the top and bottom rows would make them the same.

Sorry, my fault: I swapped the two rows in the diagram, like you suspected
:)

--
Merak
Anonymous

Merak wrote:
>>Hmm... thats close, but not quite what I have in the manual for my
>>A7N8X...
>>
>>It looks like you descibed the plug, rather then the socket on my board.
>>(if you get what I mean)
>>
>>I suspect somebody got their head inside out, and that really, they are
>>the same. Swapping the top and bottom rows would make them the same.
>

> Sorry, my fault: I swapped the two rows in the diagram, like you suspected
> :)

Cool... then that cable on eBay should be spot on.

Let us know how it goes!

Ben
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2005 1:39:38 AM

Ben Pope wrote:
> Cool... then that cable on eBay should be spot on.

newegg. Not eBay.

Ben
April 13, 2005 5:01:09 AM

> In article <AXO6e.53946$kC3.35807@tornado.fastwebnet.it>, "Merak"
> <me@anywhere.net> wrote:
>
> <<snip>>
>>
>> I've also searched for the cable that Asus claims to be "sold separatly"
>> use the onboard game port: it's supposed to be a 15-pin ribbon cable with
>> female game/MIDI port at one end and motherboard connectors at the other.
>> couldn't find it anywhere though :(
>>
>> --
>> Merak
>
> Here is an example:
>
> "Asus USB2.0/Game Cable"
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

Looks like exactly what he is after. Just hope it's not a case of throwing
good money after bad.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2005 5:01:10 AM

> Looks like exactly what he is after. Just hope it's not a case of throwing
> good money after bad.

Yeah, it's exactly the item I was looking for.
I think I'll give it a try... in the worst case I'd loose 6 euro.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 24, 2005 4:52:38 PM

>> Looks like exactly what he is after. Just hope it's not a case of
>> throwing good money after bad.
>
> Yeah, it's exactly the item I was looking for.
> I think I'll give it a try... in the worst case I'd loose 6 euro.

I bought the gameport header from on eBay and it works perfectly!
Thanks for pointing it out to me!

--
Merak
Anonymous

Merak wrote:
>>>Looks like exactly what he is after. Just hope it's not a case of
>>>throwing good money after bad.
>>
>>Yeah, it's exactly the item I was looking for.
>>I think I'll give it a try... in the worst case I'd loose 6 euro.
>

> I bought the gameport header from on eBay and it works perfectly!
> Thanks for pointing it out to me!

Good to hear. Thanks for letting us know your success.

Ben