I have two of those USB drive (those small ones, I can't think of what they
are officially called). They are both 128MB.

When I plug them into a USB 2.0 port the 1st time XP installed them and said
they were ready to use. The problem is the only
place they show up is in Device Manager and it says they are working fine.
They do not show up anywhere else, not in My Computer, not in
Computer Management in the drives section. I just tried the Hardware
Install Wizard and it saw them and said they were installed and working
properly.

I have tried them in 2 of the 3 machines here. I took them to the computer
store and when they plugged them into their computer they came right up,
opened
a window and displayed the contents of the drive.

This is a new install of XP with SP1 (on a newly built machine) . I have
SP2, but have not installed it yet.

I just plugged them into the 3rd machine here and it popped right up in My
Computer under "Devices with Removable media". It just says Removable Disk
(J:)

Any ideas WHY it won't show up on SOME of the computers here?

Appreciate any ideas/help.

Thanks.

...Chip..

Right click on My Computer and select Manage. On the following screen click
on Disk Management. They should appear on the right hand side of the screen.
Assign a Drive letter.
www.coribright.com

"Charles Shapiro" <cshapiro2@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have two of those USB drive (those small ones, I can't think of what they
> are officially called). They are both 128MB.
>
> When I plug them into a USB 2.0 port the 1st time XP installed them and
> said
> they were ready to use. The problem is the only
> place they show up is in Device Manager and it says they are working fine.
> They do not show up anywhere else, not in My Computer, not in
> Computer Management in the drives section. I just tried the Hardware
> Install Wizard and it saw them and said they were installed and working
> properly.
>
> I have tried them in 2 of the 3 machines here. I took them to the
> computer
> store and when they plugged them into their computer they came right up,
> opened
> a window and displayed the contents of the drive.
>
> This is a new install of XP with SP1 (on a newly built machine) . I have
> SP2, but have not installed it yet.
>
> I just plugged them into the 3rd machine here and it popped right up in My
> Computer under "Devices with Removable media". It just says Removable
> Disk
> (J:)
>
> Any ideas WHY it won't show up on SOME of the computers here?
>
> Appreciate any ideas/help.
>
> Thanks.
>
> ..Chip..

Thanks. Those USB drive had taken a drive letter that was being used for a
networked drive. I moved them to the bottom (ie: "X" & "Y") and they are
working as expected now. I renamed them and even after taking them out and
re-installing them the drive letter & name remain constant.

Thanks for the quick reply.

...Chip..

"Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> Right click on My Computer and select Manage. On the following screen
click
> on Disk Management. They should appear on the right hand side of the
screen.
> Assign a Drive letter.
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Charles Shapiro" <cshapiro2@cox.net> wrote in message
> >I have two of those USB drive (those small ones, I can't think of what
they
> > are officially called). They are both 128MB.
> >
> > When I plug them into a USB 2.0 port the 1st time XP installed them and
> > said
> > they were ready to use. The problem is the only
> > place they show up is in Device Manager and it says they are working
fine.
> > They do not show up anywhere else, not in My Computer, not in
> > Computer Management in the drives section. I just tried the Hardware
> > Install Wizard and it saw them and said they were installed and working
> > properly.
> >
> > I have tried them in 2 of the 3 machines here. I took them to the
> > computer
> > store and when they plugged them into their computer they came right up,
> > opened
> > a window and displayed the contents of the drive.
> >
> > This is a new install of XP with SP1 (on a newly built machine) . I have
> > SP2, but have not installed it yet.
> >
> > I just plugged them into the 3rd machine here and it popped right up in
My
> > Computer under "Devices with Removable media". It just says Removable
> > Disk
> > (J:)
> >
> > Any ideas WHY it won't show up on SOME of the computers here?
> >
> > Appreciate any ideas/help.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > ..Chip..

I have a real usb hard drive with 70 gb. I plug it into any desktop or
laptop computers in my office or my home, it just pop up as additional drive,
except my new laptop, which is a Toshiba Satellite, model A15 S1292, I tried
everything including download new BIO, update Win XP 1a and computer disk
management you mentioned here. Nothing works.

Can any usb expert help me?

Right click on My Computer and select Manage. On the following screen click
on Disk Management. The drive should appear on the right hand side of the
screen.
Assign a Drive letter.
www.coribright.com