K8N-E Deluxe and Q-fan problem

I think I saw a post that describes a similar problem I'm experiencing, but
I didn't find the solution. When I enable q-fan option in bios and when I
boot up system cold, I get a fan error message during POST. The fan doesn't
start because the low temperature threshold hasn't been reached yet. First I
tried to lower it, but I cannot set the threshold lower than 35 C (although
the manual says I can set whatever temperature I want). I tried downloading
the new bios, disabling cool&quiet, fiddling with other power options, but
it just doesn't work. Btw, I'm using an original AMD fan and heatsink, so
that shouldn't make any problems.

So, is there any way to make it work? Although I could live with those
annoying beeps at the system boot-up, the real problem is that if CPU fan
really fails, I wouldn't know it until it'd be too late.

Thanks.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I have the same board using the AMD heatsink and fan and have no problems
running both Cool and Quiet and Q-Fan. I'm running the latest Beta Bios
available from the German ASUS site. Do you have ASPIC 2.0 enabled in the
Bios and (assuming your using Windows) power settings set to minimal power
saving and Cool and Quiet enabled?

"Dave" <nada@nowhere.org> wrote in message
>I have the same board using the AMD heatsink and fan and have no problems
> running both Cool and Quiet and Q-Fan. I'm running the latest Beta Bios
> available from the German ASUS site. Do you have ASPIC 2.0 enabled in the
> Bios and (assuming your using Windows) power settings set to minimal power
> saving and Cool and Quiet enabled?

Yes, I have. Everything is set up like it should be. I didn't mention it in
my original post, but once the sistem is booted up, it all works well on my
machine too, both Cool and Quiet and Q-Fan. The only thing that bothers me
is the error message and annoying beeps on the cold boot-up.

> Another possibility is to use the Cool and Quiet from the AMD site instead
> of the one provided on the Asus CD
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

First of all, I'd like to thank you for your suggestions. Although they
didn't help, I appreciate it.

I tried installing those AMD drivers you mentioned, but it doesn't work. The
CPU is always stuck on full throttle and the BIOS still beeps on cold boot.
So, I reverted to the original version that came with my MBO.

And the PSU? Well, it's a Channel Well 420W, but I doubt that it is a
problem. It's just like the MBO doesn't know that the cpu fan SHOULD be
turned off if the core hasn't reached the 35C threshold yet. So, I think
I'll just give up in hope that maybe one day I'll be able to resolve this
problem. In the meanwhile, I'll just keep that Q-Fan disabled. To be honest,
I don't really hear the difference when the fan is in full throttle or
powered down, thanks to my other noisy components:)

Anyway, thanks for help, and if you or anybody else has any suggestions, I'd
appreciate it.