Can't Install XP Home on SATA - Intel Accelerator -Wrong C..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

System - ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe MOBO, Intel 875P Chipset, 2 Maxtor SATA 80gig
drives set RAID Stripe, WinXP home, Intel 82801 EB Ultra ATA Storage
Controller

Trying to load Win XP Home on RAID 0 Striping array - Installation does not
see drives - while checking out how to fix this - instructed to download
Intel Accelerator. But while trying to install that it says: requirements
are wrong - the requirement is an 82801ER and I have an 82801EB and I can
find no way to upgrade or change that.

I have Win XP loaded on an IDE drive on this computer and I can see the
serial raid drives while in XP. The device manager lists it as Promise 2+0
Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device. I can copy files and it is installed and
functional. However, I still cannot install Win XP on the SATA drives, they
do not show up as an option in the setup menu, however I can see my IDE drive.

Please advise on how to get Win XP loaded on the RAID? X-posted to Hardware,
Setup and Help groups. Sorry if you get hit with multiples.

gf

Distinguished
May 4, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

You have to copy the SATA controller's installation files from your
mainboard's installation CD to a diskette.

Press F6 when asked to sometime after WinXp installation starts and
be sure your diskette is inserted in floppy reader.

========

Furthermore, if you want Windows to install on your SATA
drive as C: drive, you will probably have to temporarily disconnect
your IDE drive.

===========

At least that is what I had to do with my Asus, Ayn8x-E board.

"rdelort" <rdelort@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
news: 9C30ACE5-EC64-4CE6-A05C-403F283A7F9A@microsoft.com...
> System - ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe MOBO, Intel 875P Chipset, 2 Maxtor SATA
> 80gig
> drives set RAID Stripe, WinXP home, Intel 82801 EB Ultra ATA Storage
> Controller
>
> Trying to load Win XP Home on RAID 0 Striping array - Installation does
> not
> see drives - while checking out how to fix this - instructed to download
> Intel Accelerator. But while trying to install that it says: requirements
> are wrong - the requirement is an 82801ER and I have an 82801EB and I can
> find no way to upgrade or change that.
>
> I have Win XP loaded on an IDE drive on this computer and I can see the
> serial raid drives while in XP. The device manager lists it as Promise
> 2+0
> Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device. I can copy files and it is installed and
> functional. However, I still cannot install Win XP on the SATA drives,
> they
> do not show up as an option in the setup menu, however I can see my IDE
> drive.
>
> Please advise on how to get Win XP loaded on the RAID? X-posted to
> Hardware,
> Setup and Help groups. Sorry if you get hit with multiples.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Thanks for the input but as stated previously I have the Raid up and running
which will only happen after the diskette installation you mentioned. I also
tried unplugging the IDE drive ( I had to do this with another board also)
but this did not work. The instructions say to install an intel accelerator
utility (which is included on disk) but this won't install as stated in
Thanks Bear

"GF" wrote:

> You have to copy the SATA controller's installation files from your
> mainboard's installation CD to a diskette.
>
> Press F6 when asked to sometime after WinXp installation starts and
> be sure your diskette is inserted in floppy reader.
>
> ========
>
> Furthermore, if you want Windows to install on your SATA
> drive as C: drive, you will probably have to temporarily disconnect
> your IDE drive.
>
> ===========
>
> At least that is what I had to do with my Asus, Ayn8x-E board.
>
> "rdelort" <rdelort@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
> news: 9C30ACE5-EC64-4CE6-A05C-403F283A7F9A@microsoft.com...
> > System - ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe MOBO, Intel 875P Chipset, 2 Maxtor SATA
> > 80gig
> > drives set RAID Stripe, WinXP home, Intel 82801 EB Ultra ATA Storage
> > Controller
> >
> > Trying to load Win XP Home on RAID 0 Striping array - Installation does
> > not
> > see drives - while checking out how to fix this - instructed to download
> > Intel Accelerator. But while trying to install that it says: requirements
> > are wrong - the requirement is an 82801ER and I have an 82801EB and I can
> > find no way to upgrade or change that.
> >
> > I have Win XP loaded on an IDE drive on this computer and I can see the
> > serial raid drives while in XP. The device manager lists it as Promise
> > 2+0
> > Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device. I can copy files and it is installed and
> > functional. However, I still cannot install Win XP on the SATA drives,
> > they
> > do not show up as an option in the setup menu, however I can see my IDE
> > drive.
> >
> > Please advise on how to get Win XP loaded on the RAID? X-posted to
> > Hardware,
> > Setup and Help groups. Sorry if you get hit with multiples.

woody

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

AFAIK, the EB does not support raid, so are you using a pci Promise RAID
controller? If so, you need the floppy drivers for the Promise controller
and not the Intel drivers. During setup, at the F6 prompt, use the Promise
drivers. The EB uses the native XP drivers for non-raid SATA.

Woody

"rdelort" <rdelort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> System - ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe MOBO, Intel 875P Chipset, 2 Maxtor SATA
> 80gig
> drives set RAID Stripe, WinXP home, Intel 82801 EB Ultra ATA Storage
> Controller
>
> Trying to load Win XP Home on RAID 0 Striping array - Installation does
> not
> see drives - while checking out how to fix this - instructed to download
> Intel Accelerator. But while trying to install that it says: requirements
> are wrong - the requirement is an 82801ER and I have an 82801EB and I can
> find no way to upgrade or change that.
>
> I have Win XP loaded on an IDE drive on this computer and I can see the
> serial raid drives while in XP. The device manager lists it as Promise
> 2+0
> Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device. I can copy files and it is installed and
> functional. However, I still cannot install Win XP on the SATA drives,
> they
> do not show up as an option in the setup menu, however I can see my IDE
> drive.
>
> Please advise on how to get Win XP loaded on the RAID? X-posted to
> Hardware,
> Setup and Help groups. Sorry if you get hit with multiples.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

"rdelort" <rdelort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> System - ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe MOBO, Intel 875P Chipset, 2 Maxtor SATA
> 80gig
> drives set RAID Stripe, WinXP home, Intel 82801 EB Ultra ATA Storage
> Controller
>
> Trying to load Win XP Home on RAID 0 Striping array - Installation does
> not
> see drives - while checking out how to fix this - instructed to download
> Intel Accelerator. But while trying to install that it says: requirements
> are wrong - the requirement is an 82801ER and I have an 82801EB and I can
> find no way to upgrade or change that.

Hi,
When the chipset is in RAID mode, the Windows XP setup routine will not see
the IDE Controller. You need to press F6 when prompted right at the start of
XP Setup - when the screen is blue - and then insert a floppy disk
containing the appropriate RAID drivers.
You can download the Intel RAID drivers for Windows XP from here:

ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/bz/F6%20INSTALL%202600.exe

The above link is for the Intel D875PBZ motherboard, but the driver itself
should work fine on any 875P/ICH5R platform.

I hope this helps..

Len

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

It appears you do not have a bootable RAID drive setup - this is what folks
are trying to help you do! What the're saying is that when you boot from
your XP CD right at the very beginning after you select install there will
be an option to press F6 if you have any HD controllers. That's when you
need to use the floppy drivers from the IAA install package.

It is great that you have the IAA installed on your IDE drive so that you
can "see" you RAID array. However, this is completely different from what
is being said.

Before that you will need to go into your 'puter's CMOS and make sure that
everything required to make your SATA RAID a bootable disk is selected. On
my MB this is 3 options, enable SATA Controller, Use as RAID, and activate
the boot bios for the controller (or words to that effect). With out the
system seeing the RAID as bootable XP may not see it is an option for
installation.

Good Luck,
Len

> Thanks for the input but as stated previously I have the Raid up and
> running
> which will only happen after the diskette installation you mentioned. I
> also
> tried unplugging the IDE drive ( I had to do this with another board also)
> but this did not work. The instructions say to install an intel
> accelerator
> utility (which is included on disk) but this won't install as stated in
> Thanks Bear
>
> "GF" wrote:
>
>> You have to copy the SATA controller's installation files from your
>> mainboard's installation CD to a diskette.
>>
>> Press F6 when asked to sometime after WinXp installation starts and
>> be sure your diskette is inserted in floppy reader.
>>
>> ========
>>
>> Furthermore, if you want Windows to install on your SATA
>> drive as C: drive, you will probably have to temporarily disconnect
>> your IDE drive.
>>
>> ===========
>>
>> At least that is what I had to do with my Asus, Ayn8x-E board.
>>
>> "rdelort" <rdelort@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
>> news: 9C30ACE5-EC64-4CE6-A05C-403F283A7F9A@microsoft.com...
>> > System - ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe MOBO, Intel 875P Chipset, 2 Maxtor SATA
>> > 80gig
>> > drives set RAID Stripe, WinXP home, Intel 82801 EB Ultra ATA Storage
>> > Controller
>> >
>> > Trying to load Win XP Home on RAID 0 Striping array - Installation does
>> > not
>> > see drives - while checking out how to fix this - instructed to
>> > download
>> > Intel Accelerator. But while trying to install that it says:
>> > requirements
>> > are wrong - the requirement is an 82801ER and I have an 82801EB and I
>> > can
>> > find no way to upgrade or change that.
>> >
>> > I have Win XP loaded on an IDE drive on this computer and I can see the
>> > serial raid drives while in XP. The device manager lists it as Promise
>> > 2+0
>> > Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device. I can copy files and it is installed
>> > and
>> > functional. However, I still cannot install Win XP on the SATA drives,
>> > they
>> > do not show up as an option in the setup menu, however I can see my IDE
>> > drive.
>> >
>> > Please advise on how to get Win XP loaded on the RAID? X-posted to
>> > Hardware,
>> > Setup and Help groups. Sorry if you get hit with multiples.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Thanks for all the advice however I did press F6 and installed the drivers
first and it still didn't see the promise raid drive. Fortunately this board
comes with an South Bridge ICH5R raid controller and the promise controller
built onto the mobo. I switched the connections over to the South Bridge
ICH5R controller and that worked as directed, so I'm up and running. Thanks
again for all the advice.

Thanks,
Bear