nina

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF SOMEONE COULD ADVISE ME
ABOUT FOLLOWING - AFTER INSTALLING WINDOWS XP HOME UPGRADE
MY PRINTER WOULD NOT WORK. TOOK IT INTO COMPUTER REPAIRS
AND THEY SAID THAT MY PRINTER ONLY WORKED WHEN THEY TOOK
XP OFF AND PUT ORIGINAL WINDOWS 98 BACK ON (TRIED
DIFFERENT MAKES OF PRINTERS ALL WOULD NOT PRINT WITH XP)
I HAVE TRIED TO CONTACT MICROSOFT SUPPORT BUT WHEN THEY
ASK ME FOR MY PRODUCT ID # THEY TELL ME THE NUMBER IS ON
MY COMPUTER - SINCE I DO NOT HAVE XP ON ANYMORE I CAN'T
LOOK IT UP. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE ELSE THIS NUMBER IS.( I
TRIED GIVING KEY NUMBER BUT NO GOOD) I WOULD LIKE TO TALK
TO MICROSOFT ABOUT THIS AS I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR A PRODUCT
I CANNOT USE AS IT IS ONLY GOOD FOR THIS COMPUTER. ANY
HELP OR INFO WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED. THKS NINA

NINA wrote:

> I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF SOMEONE COULD ADVISE ME
> ABOUT FOLLOWING - AFTER INSTALLING WINDOWS XP HOME UPGRADE
> MY PRINTER WOULD NOT WORK. TOOK IT INTO COMPUTER REPAIRS
> AND THEY SAID THAT MY PRINTER ONLY WORKED WHEN THEY TOOK
> XP OFF AND PUT ORIGINAL WINDOWS 98 BACK ON (TRIED
> DIFFERENT MAKES OF PRINTERS ALL WOULD NOT PRINT WITH XP)
> I HAVE TRIED TO CONTACT MICROSOFT SUPPORT BUT WHEN THEY
> ASK ME FOR MY PRODUCT ID # THEY TELL ME THE NUMBER IS ON
> MY COMPUTER - SINCE I DO NOT HAVE XP ON ANYMORE I CAN'T
> LOOK IT UP. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE ELSE THIS NUMBER IS.( I
> TRIED GIVING KEY NUMBER BUT NO GOOD) I WOULD LIKE TO TALK
> TO MICROSOFT ABOUT THIS AS I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR A PRODUCT
> I CANNOT USE AS IT IS ONLY GOOD FOR THIS COMPUTER. ANY
> HELP OR INFO WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED. THKS NINA

You need to find out if there is a driver for your printer that's
compatible with XP. You can do this by going to the website of the
printer manufacturer. Whomever it was that you took your printer to for
repair should have known this. If it's an older printer, there might
not be an XP driver for it. In that case your only options are a new
printer or the old operating system.

NINA wrote:
> I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF SOMEONE COULD ADVISE ME
> ABOUT FOLLOWING - AFTER INSTALLING WINDOWS XP HOME UPGRADE
> MY PRINTER WOULD NOT WORK. TOOK IT INTO COMPUTER REPAIRS
> AND THEY SAID THAT MY PRINTER ONLY WORKED WHEN THEY TOOK
> XP OFF AND PUT ORIGINAL WINDOWS 98 BACK ON (TRIED
> DIFFERENT MAKES OF PRINTERS ALL WOULD NOT PRINT WITH XP)
> I HAVE TRIED TO CONTACT MICROSOFT SUPPORT BUT WHEN THEY
> ASK ME FOR MY PRODUCT ID # THEY TELL ME THE NUMBER IS ON
> MY COMPUTER - SINCE I DO NOT HAVE XP ON ANYMORE I CAN'T
> LOOK IT UP. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE ELSE THIS NUMBER IS.( I
> TRIED GIVING KEY NUMBER BUT NO GOOD) I WOULD LIKE TO TALK
> TO MICROSOFT ABOUT THIS AS I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR A PRODUCT
> I CANNOT USE AS IT IS ONLY GOOD FOR THIS COMPUTER. ANY
> HELP OR INFO WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED. THKS NINA

First off, please turn off your caps-lock key. I know you might be
frustrated, but typing in all capital letters is not going to encourage
anyone to help you for one, if not several, simple reasons - the least of
which is that it is hard to read when there is no case change.

You upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home (I scanned a little aheaqd
and caught the previous OS version.) Your printer ceased to work. Did you:

1) Run the Upgrade Advisor before upgrading to make sure all your programs
and hardware were compatable?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx

2) Check the Printer Manufacturer's web page to insure that you have the
latest driver for the printer in Windows XP Home? (You may be disappointed
in that it may have been the manufacturer's decision not to support the
printer in Windows XP.)

3) Check the motherboard/computer manufacturer's web page for chipset
drivers for Windows XP Home? Likely your parallel port/USB is part of the
motherboard and may require drivers from the manufacturer (if they support
XP) to function properly.

--
<- Shenan ->

"NINA" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF SOMEONE COULD ADVISE ME
>ABOUT FOLLOWING - AFTER INSTALLING WINDOWS XP HOME UPGRADE
>MY PRINTER WOULD NOT WORK. TOOK IT INTO COMPUTER REPAIRS
>AND THEY SAID THAT MY PRINTER ONLY WORKED WHEN THEY TOOK
>XP OFF AND PUT ORIGINAL WINDOWS 98 BACK ON (TRIED
>DIFFERENT MAKES OF PRINTERS ALL WOULD NOT PRINT WITH XP)
>I HAVE TRIED TO CONTACT MICROSOFT SUPPORT BUT WHEN THEY
>ASK ME FOR MY PRODUCT ID # THEY TELL ME THE NUMBER IS ON
>MY COMPUTER - SINCE I DO NOT HAVE XP ON ANYMORE I CAN'T
>LOOK IT UP. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE ELSE THIS NUMBER IS.( I
>TRIED GIVING KEY NUMBER BUT NO GOOD) I WOULD LIKE TO TALK
>TO MICROSOFT ABOUT THIS AS I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR A PRODUCT
>I CANNOT USE AS IT IS ONLY GOOD FOR THIS COMPUTER. ANY
>HELP OR INFO WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED. THKS NINA

1. Please fix your keyboard. The CapsLock key is stuck in the On
position, making your messages very hard to read.

2. What is the make and model of your printer? Without that basic
information it is difficult to assist you. Hardware drivers are the
responsibility of the hardware manufacturer, not Microsoft, and some
manufacturers made a conscious decision not to provide Windows XP
drivers for some of their older printer models.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Al

Maybe this person doesn't yet understand proper netiquette, and it is certainly pointed out enough by the previous respondents. But this person also doesn't need to be treated with name calling ala Miss Perspicacia Tick. Obviously, the distance it takes to make someone feel bad; it was the distance required from bbetween your mind and the monitor. I guess it takes a fü¢king idiot to know one!

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message news:O7fWeiBiEHA.2908@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Though everyone else has pointed it out, see the attached image. This is
> the distance required to prevent yourself from looking like an idiot.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> NINA wrote:
>> I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF SOMEONE COULD ADVISE ME
>> ABOUT FOLLOWING - AFTER INSTALLING WINDOWS XP HOME UPGRADE
>> MY PRINTER WOULD NOT WORK. TOOK IT INTO COMPUTER REPAIRS
>> AND THEY SAID THAT MY PRINTER ONLY WORKED WHEN THEY TOOK
>> XP OFF AND PUT ORIGINAL WINDOWS 98 BACK ON (TRIED
>> DIFFERENT MAKES OF PRINTERS ALL WOULD NOT PRINT WITH XP)
>> I HAVE TRIED TO CONTACT MICROSOFT SUPPORT BUT WHEN THEY
>> ASK ME FOR MY PRODUCT ID # THEY TELL ME THE NUMBER IS ON
>> MY COMPUTER - SINCE I DO NOT HAVE XP ON ANYMORE I CAN'T
>> LOOK IT UP. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE ELSE THIS NUMBER IS.( I
>> TRIED GIVING KEY NUMBER BUT NO GOOD) I WOULD LIKE TO TALK
>> TO MICROSOFT ABOUT THIS AS I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR A PRODUCT
>> I CANNOT USE AS IT IS ONLY GOOD FOR THIS COMPUTER. ANY
>> HELP OR INFO WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED. THKS NINA

Greetings --

First of all, please unstick your CapsLock key. Posting in all
caps, as you have done, is the Usenet equivalent of shouting, and is
considered very rude. More importantly, posting in all caps makes the
post very hard to read, further reducing your chances of getting help.

For problems with your printer, you will need to contact the
printer's manufacturer to obtain WinXP-compatible device drivers. It
is entirely the responsibility of hardware manufacturers (and not
Microsoft) to support their products, and to provide any updated
drivers that may be necessary to use the devices on a new operating
system.

Further, Microsoft can hardly be expected to provide support for a
product (WinXP) that you do not have installed, so there's naturally
no way to obtain the Product ID without installing the OS.

I'm curious, though. Since you've made a big point of saying how
you've spent good money on WinXP, why is it that you failed to notice
that your printer wouldn't work with the new OS while you were
researching the OS? And why did you ignore the Upgrade Compatibility
Wizard's advice during the installation? After all, no one spends
"good money" on something without _first_ researching the product to
make sure that it will meet their needs and work in their specific
circumstances, do they?

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"NINA" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF SOMEONE COULD ADVISE ME
> ABOUT FOLLOWING - AFTER INSTALLING WINDOWS XP HOME UPGRADE
> MY PRINTER WOULD NOT WORK. TOOK IT INTO COMPUTER REPAIRS
> AND THEY SAID THAT MY PRINTER ONLY WORKED WHEN THEY TOOK
> XP OFF AND PUT ORIGINAL WINDOWS 98 BACK ON (TRIED
> DIFFERENT MAKES OF PRINTERS ALL WOULD NOT PRINT WITH XP)
> I HAVE TRIED TO CONTACT MICROSOFT SUPPORT BUT WHEN THEY
> ASK ME FOR MY PRODUCT ID # THEY TELL ME THE NUMBER IS ON
> MY COMPUTER - SINCE I DO NOT HAVE XP ON ANYMORE I CAN'T
> LOOK IT UP. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE ELSE THIS NUMBER IS.( I
> TRIED GIVING KEY NUMBER BUT NO GOOD) I WOULD LIKE TO TALK
> TO MICROSOFT ABOUT THIS AS I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR A PRODUCT
> I CANNOT USE AS IT IS ONLY GOOD FOR THIS COMPUTER. ANY
> HELP OR INFO WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED. THKS NINA

Sandman

...........And, unless you use Autocad a great deal you don't need a CAPS
lock key anyway. Search for an app called 'wanocaps' on the 'net and it can
eliminate that problem.. Seriously. A useful tweak...

Ron Martell wrote:

> "NINA" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>>I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF SOMEONE COULD ADVISE ME
>>ABOUT FOLLOWING - AFTER INSTALLING WINDOWS XP HOME UPGRADE
>>MY PRINTER WOULD NOT WORK. TOOK IT INTO COMPUTER REPAIRS
>>AND THEY SAID THAT MY PRINTER ONLY WORKED WHEN THEY TOOK
>>XP OFF AND PUT ORIGINAL WINDOWS 98 BACK ON (TRIED
>>DIFFERENT MAKES OF PRINTERS ALL WOULD NOT PRINT WITH XP)
>>I HAVE TRIED TO CONTACT MICROSOFT SUPPORT BUT WHEN THEY
>>ASK ME FOR MY PRODUCT ID # THEY TELL ME THE NUMBER IS ON
>>MY COMPUTER - SINCE I DO NOT HAVE XP ON ANYMORE I CAN'T
>>LOOK IT UP. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE ELSE THIS NUMBER IS.( I
>>TRIED GIVING KEY NUMBER BUT NO GOOD) I WOULD LIKE TO TALK
>>TO MICROSOFT ABOUT THIS AS I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR A PRODUCT
>>I CANNOT USE AS IT IS ONLY GOOD FOR THIS COMPUTER. ANY
>>HELP OR INFO WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED. THKS NINA
>

> 1. Please fix your keyboard. The CapsLock key is stuck in the On
> position, making your messages very hard to read.
>
> 2. What is the make and model of your printer? Without that basic
> information it is difficult to assist you. Hardware drivers are the
> responsibility of the hardware manufacturer, not Microsoft, and some
> manufacturers made a conscious decision not to provide Windows XP
> drivers for some of their older printer models.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Just curious; what do you suppose was accomplished by being the 4th or
5th person in this thread to warn about the OP's caps lock key?