IDE drive limit

I have an A7V8X m/b with 2 SATA drives installed and 4 IDE devices. I need
connections for two more IDE devices but find that PCI/IDE cards (2 that I
have tried) do not work. Couple of quesitons:

1. For this board, anyone have experience with an IDE/PCI card that works to
add a couple more connections?

2. On a different, but related question, does ASUS make a m/b where one can
have a couple of SATA drives and 6 IDE drives connected without add-in
cards?

Thanks.

ColBlip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com

ColBlip wrote:
> I have an A7V8X m/b with 2 SATA drives installed and 4 IDE devices. I need
> connections for two more IDE devices but find that PCI/IDE cards (2 that I
> have tried) do not work. Couple of quesitons:
>
> 1. For this board, anyone have experience with an IDE/PCI card that works to
> add a couple more connections?

In what way do they not work? They should work, but you may have
problems booting from them.

> 2. On a different, but related question, does ASUS make a m/b where one can
> have a couple of SATA drives and 6 IDE drives connected without add-in
> cards?

Not seen any.

Most secondary controllers on boards these days are RAID, and you don't
think you'll find more than 4 IDE on the chipset.

I think you'll either be adding a card for IDE or for SATA...

Ben

Hello, Ben!
You wrote on Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:19:09 +0100:

BP> In what way do they not work? They should work, but you may have
BP> problems booting from them.

The first 1 had both ATA and Raid. During the POST I would get a message to
press F3 for RAID. Well, I didn't have RAID attached to it, only ATA IDE
drives but couldn't get past there.

The 2nd 1 hung up the post once the 4 onboard IDE connected drives listed.

Thanks.

ColBlip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:33:53 -0500, "ColBlip"
<colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com> wrote:

> BP> In what way do they not work? They should work, but you may have
> BP> problems booting from them.
>
>The first 1 had both ATA and Raid. During the POST I would get a message to
>press F3 for RAID. Well, I didn't have RAID attached to it, only ATA IDE
>drives but couldn't get past there.
>
>The 2nd 1 hung up the post once the 4 onboard IDE connected drives listed.

It's tough to find ATA controllers now, but there are a few. Adaptec,
Promise and a few asian manufacturers like Soyo. I've had trouble
with Promise (though not what you describe). I'll be testing the
Adaptec ASH-1233 soon. That may be your best bet. Available
from BestBuy.

Go to your local computer shop, they will have them and if you have a
problem with it you can take it straight back.

"ColBlip" <colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com> wrote in message
>I have an A7V8X m/b with 2 SATA drives installed and 4 IDE devices. I need
>connections for two more IDE devices but find that PCI/IDE cards (2 that I
>have tried) do not work. Couple of quesitons:
>
> 1. For this board, anyone have experience with an IDE/PCI card that works
> to add a couple more connections?
>
> 2. On a different, but related question, does ASUS make a m/b where one
> can have a couple of SATA drives and 6 IDE drives connected without add-in
> cards?
>
> Thanks.
>
> ColBlip.
> E-mail: colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

gerry

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:07:02 -0500, "ColBlip"
<colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com> wrote:

>I have an A7V8X m/b with 2 SATA drives installed and 4 IDE devices. I need
>connections for two more IDE devices but find that PCI/IDE cards (2 that I
>have tried) do not work. Couple of quesitons:
>
>1. For this board, anyone have experience with an IDE/PCI card that works to
>add a couple more connections?
>
>2. On a different, but related question, does ASUS make a m/b where one can
>have a couple of SATA drives and 6 IDE drives connected without add-in
>cards?

sounds ugly ;) you can get 8 SATA and 4 ide, but not the other way
around unless you put in ide controller cards. If I had 6 ide drives,
I'd get the Promise 6 drive raid controller or something similar.

Try the Promise Ultra 133 TX2 if you don't want raid. If you do, they also
make one for that.
Silvertip
"_R" <_R@nomail.org> wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:33:53 -0500, "ColBlip"
> <colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> > BP> In what way do they not work? They should work, but you may have
> > BP> problems booting from them.
> >
> >The first 1 had both ATA and Raid. During the POST I would get a message
> >press F3 for RAID. Well, I didn't have RAID attached to it, only ATA IDE
> >drives but couldn't get past there.
> >
> >The 2nd 1 hung up the post once the 4 onboard IDE connected drives
listed.

> It's tough to find ATA controllers now, but there are a few. Adaptec,
> Promise and a few asian manufacturers like Soyo. I've had trouble
> with Promise (though not what you describe). I'll be testing the
> Adaptec ASH-1233 soon. That may be your best bet. Available
> from BestBuy.

TRENDING THREADS