  • Laptops
  • PCMCIA
  • Windows XP
August 21, 2004 11:53:02 PM

I am having trouble getting my laptop to recognize any card inserted into the
PCMCIA slots. I have inserted two different types of wireless cards into the
each slot and the cards are not seen as being inserted. (Cisco Aironet 350
and a LinkSys WPC11). I have removed and re-installed drivers for both cards
and this hasn't helped. I have inserted both cards into a different laptop
and the cards were discovered without any problems.

The I have removed the cardbus controllers for both slots restarted the
laptop, they were discovered and the drivers reinstalled. The cards are
showing no signs of activity and they do not show up in the list of hardware
removal list when inserted. Can anyone shed some light on this?

More about : pcmcia cards

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 22, 2004 11:55:43 AM

"Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having trouble getting my laptop to recognize any card inserted into
>the
> PCMCIA slots. I have inserted two different types of wireless cards into
> the
> each slot and the cards are not seen as being inserted. (Cisco Aironet 350
> and a LinkSys WPC11). I have removed and re-installed drivers for both
> cards
> and this hasn't helped. I have inserted both cards into a different laptop
> and the cards were discovered without any problems.
>
> The I have removed the cardbus controllers for both slots restarted the
> laptop, they were discovered and the drivers reinstalled. The cards are
> showing no signs of activity and they do not show up in the list of
> hardware
> removal list when inserted. Can anyone shed some light on this?

You are sure you are inserting the cards into the right slot are you? Why I
ask is on my Toshiba Satellite there are two slots one on top of the other,
I think the top slot is 16 bit and the bottom 32 bit. The card needs to be
inserted into the bottom slot. The slots on my machine are 'ganged'
together and unless you know it is not at all obvious there are two slots.
Inititially I had problems I couldn't figure out as sometimes the card
worked sometimes it didn't, the reason being is sometimes I inserted it into
the top slot instead of the bottom.
August 22, 2004 9:35:01 PM

The card is inserted in the bottom slot. The top cover has a filler card
inserted into the slot. The cards were working one day but failed to enable
the following day. The cards are showing no signs of power being applied to
them. Could there be a setting that has been disabled which would keep the
card from recieving power?

"Edward W. Thompson" wrote:

> "Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having trouble getting my laptop to recognize any card inserted into
> >the
> > PCMCIA slots. I have inserted two different types of wireless cards into
> > the
> > each slot and the cards are not seen as being inserted. (Cisco Aironet 350
> > and a LinkSys WPC11). I have removed and re-installed drivers for both
> > cards
> > and this hasn't helped. I have inserted both cards into a different laptop
> > and the cards were discovered without any problems.
> >
> > The I have removed the cardbus controllers for both slots restarted the
> > laptop, they were discovered and the drivers reinstalled. The cards are
> > showing no signs of activity and they do not show up in the list of
> > hardware
> > removal list when inserted. Can anyone shed some light on this?
> >
> You are sure you are inserting the cards into the right slot are you? Why I
> ask is on my Toshiba Satellite there are two slots one on top of the other,
> I think the top slot is 16 bit and the bottom 32 bit. The card needs to be
> inserted into the bottom slot. The slots on my machine are 'ganged'
> together and unless you know it is not at all obvious there are two slots.
> Inititially I had problems I couldn't figure out as sometimes the card
> worked sometimes it didn't, the reason being is sometimes I inserted it into
> the top slot instead of the bottom.

September 30, 2004 10:45:05 AM

Hi Lee,

Yesterday I experienced the same thing. I'm running Windows XP and put my HP
laptop in the standby mode. I also use a Linksys WPC54G wirless card. When I
went back to use the laptop I discovered that the PCMCIA slot was not
applying power to the wireless card. I tried the card on another laptop and
it works just fine. I looks like this power management stuff set a parameter
that keeps the laptop from supplying power to the slot.

Where you successful with a fix?

Thanx,

jorge

!