Access Denied error when accessing files.

This is possibly a complex issue so I will try to be as
thorough as possible.

I recently installed a new serial ATA drive on my ABIT NF7-
S V2.0 motherboard and installed windows XP pro on it. I
have two UATA HDDs on IDE 1 that have various files and my
previous windows XP install.

The problem I am having is that when I try to access files
on these two drives (read, move, copy, delete, etc) that
existed prior to the installation of the new HDD/windows
install I get Access Denied errors. I can write new files
to the drives and manipulate them normally, but when I try
to access the files that already existed I get file access
errors:
(for example) Cannot copy *file*: Access is Denied. Make
sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the
file is not currently in use.

That was the error given when I attempted to move a file
from the old HDD to the new HDD. I get the same error
message if I try to: move or copy the file to the another
location on the old HDD and if I try to delete a file.

All the directories on the old HDD are marked as read
only, but when I try to uncheck the read-only box under
folder properties and apply the setting to all
files/subfolders I get the following error message: An
error occured applying attributes to the file:
[Drive]:\[path]\[file] (omitting details) Access is
denied.

I am really at a loss as to what the problem is. Like I
said, if I create a new file on the old HDD then I can
normally interact with it, but all the files from before
the new HDD installation/windows install are pretty much
offlimit... some media files (wmv's) and text files can be
played/read however.

-Robert
2 answers Last reply
More about access denied error accessing files

    I am the parent poster, I decided to post my email addy if
    anyone would be kind enough to email a reply.

    Furthermore, I thought I should mention that I can
    interact with the files on the old drive normally if I
    boot to that drive (and my old XP Pro install). And I can
    interact with the new HDD perfectly.

    -Robert

    The problem was that I didn't have ownership of the drive.
    I thought I had investigated the ownership side of the
    problem, but I didn't know you had to disable simple file
    sharing. After doing so, I went to the drive's properties,
    went to the security tab, clicked the advanced button,
    went to the owner tab and checked the box to replace the
    owndership. works great now.

    -Robert

Hard Drives Windows XP