Crashing XP after installation of SP1

Hello,

I have VIA KT600/VT8237 board with SATA RAID on board.
After installing Windows XP and security updates
everything went fine untill I installed SP1. After that,
system keeps crashing with suddent resets. There are no
error reports, just simple sudden reset occurs during
system start up or most of the time shortly after.

System can work e.g. with Word or IE relatively smoothly,
but always crashes when launching Total Commander or
Device Manager etc.

Reparation helps, Windows turn stable again, but removes
SP1.

Thanks for the help!

confing:
VIA KT600/VT8237 with Barton and 512 MB RAM
40 GB ATA System and apps. disk
2*120 GB SATA Data disk in RAID Strip
Most recent bios and drivers.

I just tried clean install and then SP2 without putting
on any specific drivers and I got BSOD with
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

Any motherboard drivers??

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Skippi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> I just tried clean install and then SP2 without putting
> on any specific drivers and I got BSOD with
> MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

Yes, I just installed Windows and then SP2 right after,
with the questionmarks in the Device manager.
Unrecognized drivers from the board were only USB 2.0.
Other devices without proper drivers were PCI sound card
and VGA (Matrox g550). But I am sure these devices are
not causing troubles. I suspect USB.

Is it possible that the motherboard/processor is
defective although the error occurs only with SP1/2?

Thank you!

There's more in the VIA 4-In-1 driver than AGP, PCI and USB drivers...
Windows might need the "more" parts....