Hard disk boot problem

August 22, 2004 7:56:09 AM

Recently my computers power was knocked out at the plug
accidentaly, and as I switched it back on - a blue screen
white writing error appeared, telling me I had an
'UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME' - I have found out about http://
support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185 and assessed that my
problem is the damaged problem (number 2) but I don't know
how to 'Restart to the Recovery Console'

PS - I have tried everything including swapping HD's, boot
diskettes safe mode etc any help MUCH MUCH appreciated

DanielJWalker

More about : hard disk boot problem

August 22, 2004 8:39:02 AM

There are two ways to start the Recovery Console:

If you are unable to start your computer, you can run the Recovery Console
from your Setup CD.
As an alternative, you can install the Recovery Console on your computer to
make it available in case you are unable to restart Windows. You can then
select the Recovery Console option from the list of available operating
systems on startup.
After you start the Recovery Console you will have to choose which
installation you want to log on to (if you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot
system) and you will have to log on with your administrator password.

The console provides commands you can use to do simple operations such as
changing to a different directory or viewing a directory, and more powerful
operations such as fixing the boot sector. You can access Help for the
commands in the Recovery Console by typing help at the Recovery Console
command prompt.

For information on starting and using the Recovery Console, see Related
Topics.

Once you are running the Recovery Console, you can get help on the available
commands by typing help at the command prompt.

The following commands can be used with the Recovery Console:

Attrib
Changes the attributes of a file or directory.

Batch
Executes the commands specified in the text file.

Bootcfg
Boot file (boot.ini) configuration and recovery.

ChDir (Cd)
Displays the name of the current directory or changes the current directory.

Chkdsk
Checks a disk and displays a status report.

Cls
Clears the screen.

Copy
Copies a single file to another location.

Delete (Del)
Deletes one or more files.

Dir
Displays a list of files and subdirectories in a directory.

Disable
Disables a system service or a device driver.

Diskpart
Manages partitions on your hard drives.

Enable
Starts or enables a system service or a device driver.

Exit
Exits the Recovery Console and restarts your computer.

Expand
Extracts a file from a compressed file.

Fixboot
Writes a new partition boot sector onto the specified partition.

Fixmbr
Repairs the master boot record of the specified disk.

Format
Formats a disk.

Help
Displays a list of the commands you can use in the Recovery Console.

Listsvc
Lists the services and drivers available on the computer.

Logon
Logs on to a Windows installation.

Map
Displays the drive letter mappings.

Mkdir (Md)
Creates a directory.

More
Displays a text file.

Net Use
Connects a network share to a drive letter.

Rename (Ren)
Renames a single file.

Rmdir (Rd)
Deletes a directory.

Set
Displays and sets environment variables.

Systemroot
Sets the current directory to the systemroot directory of the system you are
currently logged on to.

Type
Displays a text file.

"DanielJWalker" wrote:

> Recently my computers power was knocked out at the plug
> accidentaly, and as I switched it back on - a blue screen
> white writing error appeared, telling me I had an
> 'UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME' - I have found out about http://
> support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185 and assessed that my
> problem is the damaged problem (number 2) but I don't know
> how to 'Restart to the Recovery Console'
>
> PS - I have tried everything including swapping HD's, boot
> diskettes safe mode etc any help MUCH MUCH appreciated
>
> DanielJWalker

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 9:30:18 AM

Well I can't use a disk because I have no Boot Disk, only
a red diskette, which I've tried - and how would I install
it on my PC If it doesnt turn on ?
!