H2: Not what I was expecting.

Archived from groups: alt.games.halo (More info?)

Got H2 Wednesday. Finally got to play it T-day. Man was I UN-impressed.
Maybe without all the hype, it would have been at least acceptable.

I didn't like how the story was expanded,... coming from both sides of
the coin. Good way to leave the door cracked for H3. In that one I see
us and the Covenant as allies (well at least with their rebel side), and
the intro of a third/forth yet unseen antagonist,

What I didn't like is how they muddied the waters when it came to
weapons. Great, there's a better assortment, but I wished they hadn't
backed off of the kill level associated with the side arm. Man that .45
proved very handy in close quarters with the flood in H1. It feels like
they backed off with the shotgun too. Just doesn't seem to have the same
kill potential in Legendary as it did in H1. IN the real world, a
shotgun may not penitrate all God has to offer, but it sure will knock
your ass down. And what's up with this boost thing on the Ghost? Where's
my cannon fire. Did I miss it or is it gone?

I gathered from the bonus DVD that they still had a rush on. Maybe
that's why to me is feels more like a quilt rather than a comforter.

But still, I'm glad it here. I did enjoy it, expecially the graphics and
the added interaction with comrads, enimy and surroundings. But I got
this strange feeling that I'll be popping H1 in from time to time, if
nothing more than to stay in touch with the good ole days!

Am I alone in this judgement?

Eric

Archived from groups: alt.games.halo (More info?)

Hey Eric,

Nah your not alone at all in this. I think a lot of people who have
played the game share your opinions - that is, at least the ones in this
newsgroup who have decided to type something coherent.

I agree entirely - though the game is good, and there are some nice
improvements, and even some genius touches, such as wielding energy
swords, railgun warthogs, and even the new loops and rolls in the
banshee, I was left disappointed with the story, especially after having
watched every trailer that came out over and over again.

Some have suggested that Bungie were forced to cut corners with
production of the game from one side or another, and if this is true,
its not a good move - i was prepared to wait as long as it took to get a
top-class game out, as Im sure most of the bigger Halo fans were.

Graphical improvements, in my opinion, were immediately obvious, and
made a considerable difference - some of the scenery is breathtaking,
and seeing it up close through a sniper scope is superb.
However, it didnt take me long to notice that the Xbox struggles with
Halo 2 - it runs fine, but you can hear the machine trying very hard to
play it, hard drive flogging, etc. Similar to the noise you might hear
if you try to empty the recycle bin in Windows XP. Not entirely
surprising, given the specs that PCs need to run games of similar depth.

Also, the multiplayer - system link, co-op, and live, is flawless. Some
great new modes, and the party feature makes it easy to play games with
friends.

So, a great game, although I, like yourself, was slightly disappointed
with the story, and the lack of earth-based levels, after all the hype.
Have you heard that their next project will not be Halo 3? Maybe this is
a good thing, im not sure. But I for one, can't wait for it.
Congratulations to Bungie for Halo 2.

As for your ghost struggles, its not possible to shoot while boosting
(left trigger), however it can be done at normal speeds, with the right
trigger. Also, you may find it difficult to steer while boosting, too.
But this is just due to the excessive speed.

James. Partion on Xbox Live.