Large Hard Drives refuse to format despite 48-bit LBA supp..

I am now on my second identical hard drive which has
exhibited the same strange behavior:

I am attempting to install a 200GB Seagate hard drive on a
computer running Windows XP SP2, with a P4G8X Deluxe
motherboard.

Windows sees the entire hard drive--all 185 GB of it. If I
attempt to format (NTFS), either through disk management
or by right clicking on the drive, the format plods along
for a couple of hours, reaches 100%...and then reports
that the format could not complete.

If I attempt to access the drive, Windows informs me that
the drive is not formatted (RAW), and asks if I wish to
format it.

As an experiment, I partitioned and formatted the first
100GB of the drive. This worked fine. I then partitioned
and attempted to format the other 85GB. The format failed
at 100%.

If I boot to a seagate floppy and format from there, the
format completes succesfully, and Windows sees the drive
as fully formatted NTFS. HOWEVER, after writing a few
gigabytes of data to test it, I started receiving I/O
Errors trying to read some files. Checkdisk invariably
failed to complete, usually at 100%.

The first time this happened, I assumed the drive was
faulty and returned it for replacement. The replacement is
giving identical results.

I initially tried this all on SP1, which of course has 48-
bit LBA support. I upgraded to SP2 in the hopes that would
fix things, but the upgrade made no difference.

I have swapped ide cables, changed the drive from slave to
master to cable select master/slave and back again, and
swapped ide channels. Nothing changed the behavior of the
drive.

My motherboard also supports 48-bit LBA, and has the
newest BIOS. Another older drive substituted in place of
the new one functions correctly. I can only assume that
this computer is having issues formatting above 137GB, and
having mostly eliminated hardware as the culprit, it seems
Windows must be glitching somehow.

Anyone have any ideas?

TJ

Don't know if this applies. But, when I installed a Maxtor 160gb drive, the
directions said to use Maxtor's tool to format it and that tool subsequently
added a EnableBigLBA key to the registry. Have you tried using the tool
that came with the drive, maybe it will add this key.
According to the maxtor doc, not only do you have to have XPSP1 or higher,
but you also have to install that registry setting. Maxtor's tool installed
it automatically when I used it to format the drive.

"Once you have installed the latest Service Pack, you must also install and
run the Windows version of Maxblast to enable complete support of larger
drives..... Maxblast checks for the existence of Windows 2000 XP3 or
Windows XP SP1 and installs the EnableBigLBA patch into the Windows
Registry. Installing the latest Service Pack without running the Maxblast
setup will not fully enable large drive support and may lead to data loss."

Check with the Seagate web site support and see how to install this registry
requirement.

"Snufkin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am now on my second identical hard drive which has
> exhibited the same strange behavior:
>
> I am attempting to install a 200GB Seagate hard drive on a
> computer running Windows XP SP2, with a P4G8X Deluxe
> motherboard.
>
> Windows sees the entire hard drive--all 185 GB of it. If I
> attempt to format (NTFS), either through disk management
> or by right clicking on the drive, the format plods along
> for a couple of hours, reaches 100%...and then reports
> that the format could not complete.
>
> If I attempt to access the drive, Windows informs me that
> the drive is not formatted (RAW), and asks if I wish to
> format it.
>
> As an experiment, I partitioned and formatted the first
> 100GB of the drive. This worked fine. I then partitioned
> and attempted to format the other 85GB. The format failed
> at 100%.
>
> If I boot to a seagate floppy and format from there, the
> format completes succesfully, and Windows sees the drive
> as fully formatted NTFS. HOWEVER, after writing a few
> gigabytes of data to test it, I started receiving I/O
> Errors trying to read some files. Checkdisk invariably
> failed to complete, usually at 100%.
>
> The first time this happened, I assumed the drive was
> faulty and returned it for replacement. The replacement is
> giving identical results.
>
> I initially tried this all on SP1, which of course has 48-
> bit LBA support. I upgraded to SP2 in the hopes that would
> fix things, but the upgrade made no difference.
>
> I have swapped ide cables, changed the drive from slave to
> master to cable select master/slave and back again, and
> swapped ide channels. Nothing changed the behavior of the
> drive.
>
> My motherboard also supports 48-bit LBA, and has the
> newest BIOS. Another older drive substituted in place of
> the new one functions correctly. I can only assume that
> this computer is having issues formatting above 137GB, and
> having mostly eliminated hardware as the culprit, it seems
> Windows must be glitching somehow.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

TJ

Go here and look at the item called "Reg48bitLBA for Windows XP SP1 and
Windows 2000 SP3"
This may be the utility you need. I would format with the seagate disk, run
this utility and install the registry patch, then format the disk again just
to be sure....

"TJ" <tj@notreal.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > failed to complete, usually at 100%.
> >
> > The first time this happened, I assumed the drive was
> > faulty and returned it for replacement. The replacement is
> > giving identical results.
> >
> > I initially tried this all on SP1, which of course has 48-
> > bit LBA support. I upgraded to SP2 in the hopes that would
> > fix things, but the upgrade made no difference.
> >
> > I have swapped ide cables, changed the drive from slave to
> > master to cable select master/slave and back again, and
> > swapped ide channels. Nothing changed the behavior of the
> > drive.
> >
> > My motherboard also supports 48-bit LBA, and has the
> > newest BIOS. Another older drive substituted in place of
> > the new one functions correctly. I can only assume that
> > this computer is having issues formatting above 137GB, and
> > having mostly eliminated hardware as the culprit, it seems

TJ

Oops, sorry, here's the link:
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/utils.html

Third item on the left. "Reg48bitLBA for Windows XP SP1 and Windows 2000
SP3"

> [...]
> > > failed to complete, usually at 100%.
> > >
> > > The first time this happened, I assumed the drive was
> > > faulty and returned it for replacement. The replacement is
> > > giving identical results.
> > >
> > > I initially tried this all on SP1, which of course has 48-
> > > bit LBA support. I upgraded to SP2 in the hopes that would
> > > fix things, but the upgrade made no difference.
> > >
> > > I have swapped ide cables, changed the drive from slave to
> > > master to cable select master/slave and back again, and
> > > swapped ide channels. Nothing changed the behavior of the
> > > drive.
> > >
> > > My motherboard also supports 48-bit LBA, and has the
> > > newest BIOS. Another older drive substituted in place of
> > > the new one functions correctly. I can only assume that
> > > this computer is having issues formatting above 137GB, and
> > > having mostly eliminated hardware as the culprit, it seems

Believe it or not, I already used the seagate tool to set
the LBA-enabling bit, just in case. It didn't make a
difference.

Sorry for not including that in my original description of
the problem.

TJ

In that case, did you run whatever the seagate diagnostics are? Just to be
sure the drive's not bad.

> Believe it or not, I already used the seagate tool to set
> the LBA-enabling bit, just in case. It didn't make a
> difference.
>
> Sorry for not including that in my original description of
> the problem.

I'm about 95% sure the drive is functional, because:

1) It's the second drive to exhibit the same issue
2) Both drives had issues around the same place on the
disc -- around 130GB or so in.
3) I can format up to ~around~ 137GB without issue--
anything past that fails to complete the format.
4) Checkdisk doesn't report any errors--it just tells me
it couldn't complete.
5) The seagate diagnostic utility--even with the extended
drive test, which apparently does a full surface scan--has
found no errors.

What can I say? This one's driving me crazy.

TJ

You shouldn't have to do this, but if you're really curious, try formatting
as FAT32. If it works, then convert the FAT partition to NTFS.... On
second thought, I don't see why that would matter - you'd still probably end
up getting data errors just like when you formatted the whole thing NTFS
from the boot disk.
Weird. If the BIOS sees the full size of the drive (?) then you shouldn't
need any kind of DDO or whatever seagate's equivalent of EZ-BIOS is....
Sorry I'm no help.

> I'm about 95% sure the drive is functional, because:
>
> 1) It's the second drive to exhibit the same issue
> 2) Both drives had issues around the same place on the
> disc -- around 130GB or so in.
> 3) I can format up to ~around~ 137GB without issue--
> anything past that fails to complete the format.
> 4) Checkdisk doesn't report any errors--it just tells me
> it couldn't complete.
> 5) The seagate diagnostic utility--even with the extended
> drive test, which apparently does a full surface scan--has
> found no errors.
>
> What can I say? This one's driving me crazy.

dl

Use seagate diagnostic tool, there is such a thing as a bad batch of drives

> You shouldn't have to do this, but if you're really curious, try
formatting
> as FAT32. If it works, then convert the FAT partition to NTFS.... On
> second thought, I don't see why that would matter - you'd still probably
end
> up getting data errors just like when you formatted the whole thing NTFS
> from the boot disk.
> Weird. If the BIOS sees the full size of the drive (?) then you shouldn't
> need any kind of DDO or whatever seagate's equivalent of EZ-BIOS is....
> Sorry I'm no help.
>
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm about 95% sure the drive is functional, because:
> >
> > 1) It's the second drive to exhibit the same issue
> > 2) Both drives had issues around the same place on the
> > disc -- around 130GB or so in.
> > 3) I can format up to ~around~ 137GB without issue--
> > anything past that fails to complete the format.
> > 4) Checkdisk doesn't report any errors--it just tells me
> > it couldn't complete.
> > 5) The seagate diagnostic utility--even with the extended
> > drive test, which apparently does a full surface scan--has
> > found no errors.
> >
> > What can I say? This one's driving me crazy.

Unfortunately, I've run the diagnostic tool multiple
times, and it never reports any errors...

called "Reg48bitLBA for
format
>> > with
then

installed
format it
>> > and
Have you
this
>> > key.
have
setting.
>> > drive.

Pack,
>> > you
existence of
patch
>> > without
support and

see how

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> > wrote
which
>> > has

hard
P4G8X
>> > Deluxe

GB of
disk
format
>> > plods
then

informs
if I

formatted the
>> > format

from
sees
>> > the
writing a
receiving

drive

>> > course
hopes
difference.

drive from
>> > again,
>> > behavior

and has
>> > the
substituted in
>> > assume
above
culprit,

>.

Then maybe your M/B chipset drivers need to be updated! This solved my
problem with my Asus A7N8X - Deluxe rev2 M/B!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> Unfortunately, I've run the diagnostic tool multiple
> times, and it never reports any errors...

It turns out your suggestion wasn't *too* far off the
mark. What I needed was not a driver install, but a driver
uninstall. It took a lot of diagnosing, but the problem
appears to have been caused by the Intel Application
Accelerator (v. 2.2.2, one version older than the newest),
which was listed on Asus's website amongst drivers for the
motherboard. Uninstalling the IAA fixed the problem.

Looking through Intel's website, it's not entirely clear
whether or not the e7205 chipset is supported by the IAA,
as it's not listed as supported or unsupported. Getting
information concerning this chipset, unfortunately, tends
to be a real hassle: Intel seems to be doing its best to
pretend it never existed. There aren't even any drivers
listed for it.

I've contacted Intel, and I'll probably end up contacting
Asus as well. Either the IAA is glitching, or Asus
shouldn't have it listed as a driver for the P4G8X Deluxe.

(?)

$Nl1.5207@fe1.columbus.rr.com...
>> installed
>> format it