Hi-Speed USB

August 22, 2004 4:00:55 PM

I have XP Professional and i just put a new Sandisk
Cruzer Micro 2.0 into the USB port in the back of my
computer and now it is saying that the Hi-Speed USB
device attached to non-HI-speed hub. I would think that
XP Professional would be able to recognize this Flash
drive. what should i do? thanks.

More about : speed usb

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 7:34:24 PM

In order to use USB 2.0 devices at their rated speed you must have a USB 2.0
port to plug them into. They will still work just fine plugged into older
USB 1.1 ports, but they will operate at a much slower speed. You can
purchase a USB 2.0 PCI card to add the new ports to an older PC.

"Cody" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP Professional and i just put a new Sandisk
> Cruzer Micro 2.0 into the USB port in the back of my
> computer and now it is saying that the Hi-Speed USB
> device attached to non-HI-speed hub. I would think that
> XP Professional would be able to recognize this Flash
> drive. what should i do? thanks.
August 23, 2004 12:12:37 AM

I run XP Pro and it has SP1 included.. Are earlier versions of Pro out there
that do not have SP1, and if so, that IS required for USB2.0 support. And,
if your USB connects are part of an older MOBO, they may not be USB2.0 and
you would have to install a PCI card for the USB2.0, which is what the man
said..

"Cody" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have XP Professional and i just put a new Sandisk
> Cruzer Micro 2.0 into the USB port in the back of my
> computer and now it is saying that the Hi-Speed USB
> device attached to non-HI-speed hub. I would think that
> XP Professional would be able to recognize this Flash
> drive. what should i do? thanks.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 5:51:30 AM

Cody, how do you know it doesn't work? Where did yu look?

That "hint"-balloon/popup is just saying that you plugged an USB 2.0
compliant device into an USB 1.1 port. USB 2.0 is capable of 480 Mbs while
USB 1.1 only supports 12 Mbs......(these numbers of course divided between
the devices attached to that port..)

And if it really doesn't work, have you tried installed the software that
might have come with the Cruzer....?

--
Tumppi
Reply to group