How to enable UDMA 33 on 2ndary slave??

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

1.In some HDDs there are 5 jumper settings while in some
there are 4 settings...
But in general only 3 settings (M=master; S=slave;
C=cableselect) are available, then what are the rest
settings meant for???
In some HDDs the jumper settings are not mentioned(like C;
M; S), in such cases how do I know which setting is meant
for which mode??? any generalised rule for determining??

2.I've got 2 HDDs (primary master/slave) and 2 CD/DVD
drives(secondary master/slave) in my system..My
motherboard supports UDMA 66 & 33..Both my HDDs are workig
in UDMA-66 mode.. The secondary master drive shows to be
in UDMA-33 mode..But the secondary slave drive always
shows to be in mode-4..
Even if i interchange the master/slave position of the
secondary drives(ie. CD and DVD ROMS), the effect remains
same (ie.. 2ndary slave in mode-4)..why it is so
happening??? How to enable UDMA-33 on the 2ndary slave
drive???
Please suggest.. Thanks in advance..

"KUNAL K." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 1.In some HDDs there are 5 jumper settings while in some
> there are 4 settings...
> But in general only 3 settings (M=master; S=slave;
> C=cableselect) are available, then what are the rest
> settings meant for???
> In some HDDs the jumper settings are not mentioned(like C;
> M; S), in such cases how do I know which setting is meant
> for which mode??? any generalised rule for determining??
>
> 2.I've got 2 HDDs (primary master/slave) and 2 CD/DVD
> drives(secondary master/slave) in my system..My
> motherboard supports UDMA 66 & 33..Both my HDDs are workig
> in UDMA-66 mode.. The secondary master drive shows to be
> in UDMA-33 mode..But the secondary slave drive always
> shows to be in mode-4..
> Even if i interchange the master/slave position of the
> secondary drives(ie. CD and DVD ROMS), the effect remains
> same (ie.. 2ndary slave in mode-4)..why it is so
> happening??? How to enable UDMA-33 on the 2ndary slave
> drive???

All may be normal. The drive may NOT support UDMA33 but only PIO4/DMA 2.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

1. There is no standard here unfortunately. All hard drives pretty well use
their own scheme. There is usually a chart somewhere on the drive that tells
how to configure them; if not try checking the manufacturer's web site for
details. Fortunately Serial ATA drives will do away with this annoyance as
those settings will no longer exist.

2. Mode 4 is UDMA-66, everything is fine. :)

"Thane of Lochaber" <NONE> wrote in message
> 1. There is no standard here unfortunately. All hard drives pretty well
use
> their own scheme. There is usually a chart somewhere on the drive that
tells
> how to configure them; if not try checking the manufacturer's web site for
> details. Fortunately Serial ATA drives will do away with this annoyance as
> those settings will no longer exist.
>
> 2. Mode 4 is UDMA-66, everything is fine. :)

NO, if it says mode 4 then it means PIO 4.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Ok, I think I misunderstood your second question. You you want to make your
second drive run in UDMA-33 instead of 66? Why would you want to make it run
slower?

"Thane of Lochaber" <NONE> wrote in message
> 1. There is no standard here unfortunately. All hard drives pretty well
> use their own scheme. There is usually a chart somewhere on the drive that
> tells how to configure them; if not try checking the manufacturer's web
> site for details. Fortunately Serial ATA drives will do away with this
> annoyance as those settings will no longer exist.
>
> 2. Mode 4 is UDMA-66, everything is fine. :)
>
> "KUNAL K." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> 1.In some HDDs there are 5 jumper settings while in some
>> there are 4 settings...
>> But in general only 3 settings (M=master; S=slave;
>> C=cableselect) are available, then what are the rest
>> settings meant for???
>> In some HDDs the jumper settings are not mentioned(like C;
>> M; S), in such cases how do I know which setting is meant
>> for which mode??? any generalised rule for determining??
>>
>> 2.I've got 2 HDDs (primary master/slave) and 2 CD/DVD
>> drives(secondary master/slave) in my system..My
>> motherboard supports UDMA 66 & 33..Both my HDDs are workig
>> in UDMA-66 mode.. The secondary master drive shows to be
>> in UDMA-33 mode..But the secondary slave drive always
>> shows to be in mode-4..
>> Even if i interchange the master/slave position of the
>> secondary drives(ie. CD and DVD ROMS), the effect remains
>> same (ie.. 2ndary slave in mode-4)..why it is so
>> happening??? How to enable UDMA-33 on the 2ndary slave
>> drive???
>> Please suggest.. Thanks in advance..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Sorry, my mistake. I have a chart that shows Mode 4 as being capable of 66
MB/s but it is obviously wrong. It doesn't even mention PIO anywhere. So
this is one chart that is going into the waste basket.

> Sorry, my mistake. I have a chart that shows Mode 4 as being capable of 66
> MB/s but it is obviously wrong. It doesn't even mention PIO anywhere. So
> this is one chart that is going into the waste basket.

There is a UDMA mode 4 but UDMA modes aren't referred to like that usually.
UDMA66 is the usual. The device in question was a CD and not HD. That and
the usual usage makes it almost certain that PIO4 was being referred to. A
PIO 4 device will also run in DMA mode 2(note that that is different from
UDMA mode 2).