Looking for iexplanations for Intel PROset/Wireless or Mic..

ak

I have a Dell Inspiron 700. There is a little wireless icon on the taskbar
(actually, it looks like little flashlight). When I mouse over it, it
offeres me the choice of using Intel PROset/Wireless or Microsoft client,
and also has "Enable Radio" and "Disable Radio" fields.

1) Which of the Intel PROset/Wireless or Microsoft client settings should I
use, and what difference does it make?
2) By "Radio" does Microsoft mean the actual physical transmitter on the
wireless card, as I suspect, or is there some way to get this machine to
actually pick up braodcast radio? And when, if at all should I enable or
disable it?

Thanks

Alan

In general, Microsoft client is better for home use (when you don't have
sophisticated enterpise level crypto) and if you have XP SP1 or SP2.

"Disable radio" means disable physical transmitter of the WLAN card.
It is proprietary option for every WLAN device vendor (in your case - Intel
Centrino adapter). Microsoft Wireless configuration utility does not support
this yet.
You should disable radio in any place where radio transmitters are
prohibited (in aircraft, in some hospitals etc).

--PA

"AK" wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 700. There is a little wireless icon on the taskbar
> (actually, it looks like little flashlight). When I mouse over it, it
> offeres me the choice of using Intel PROset/Wireless or Microsoft client,
> and also has "Enable Radio" and "Disable Radio" fields.
>
> 1) Which of the Intel PROset/Wireless or Microsoft client settings should I
> use, and what difference does it make?
> 2) By "Radio" does Microsoft mean the actual physical transmitter on the
> wireless card, as I suspect, or is there some way to get this machine to
> actually pick up braodcast radio? And when, if at all should I enable or
> disable it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alan

ak

Thanks for a very clear explanation instead of the cryptic notes scattered
all ovre Dell's and Microsoft's websites.

Alan

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> In general, Microsoft client is better for home use (when you don't have
> sophisticated enterpise level crypto) and if you have XP SP1 or SP2.
>
> "Disable radio" means disable physical transmitter of the WLAN card.
> It is proprietary option for every WLAN device vendor (in your case -
> Intel
> Centrino adapter). Microsoft Wireless configuration utility does not
> support
> this yet.
> You should disable radio in any place where radio transmitters are
> prohibited (in aircraft, in some hospitals etc).
>
> --PA
>
> "AK" wrote:
>> I have a Dell Inspiron 700. There is a little wireless icon on the
>> taskbar
>> (actually, it looks like little flashlight). When I mouse over it, it
>> offeres me the choice of using Intel PROset/Wireless or Microsoft client,
>> and also has "Enable Radio" and "Disable Radio" fields.
>>
>> 1) Which of the Intel PROset/Wireless or Microsoft client settings should
>> use, and what difference does it make?
>> 2) By "Radio" does Microsoft mean the actual physical transmitter on the
>> wireless card, as I suspect, or is there some way to get this machine to
>> actually pick up braodcast radio? And when, if at all should I enable or
>> disable it?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Alan

You're welcome

"AK" <alan.kolnik@add-an-n-before-the-dot-verizo.net> wrote in message news:eiXOv6NBFHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for a very clear explanation instead of the cryptic notes scattered
> all ovre Dell's and Microsoft's websites.
>
> Alan
>
> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> > In general, Microsoft client is better for home use (when you don't have
> > sophisticated enterpise level crypto) and if you have XP SP1 or SP2.
> >
> > "Disable radio" means disable physical transmitter of the WLAN card.
> > It is proprietary option for every WLAN device vendor (in your case -
> > Intel
> > Centrino adapter). Microsoft Wireless configuration utility does not
> > support
> > this yet.
> > You should disable radio in any place where radio transmitters are
> > prohibited (in aircraft, in some hospitals etc).
> >
> > --PA
> >
> > "AK" wrote:
> >> I have a Dell Inspiron 700. There is a little wireless icon on the
> >> taskbar
> >> (actually, it looks like little flashlight). When I mouse over it, it
> >> offeres me the choice of using Intel PROset/Wireless or Microsoft client,
> >> and also has "Enable Radio" and "Disable Radio" fields.
> >>
> >> 1) Which of the Intel PROset/Wireless or Microsoft client settings should
> >> use, and what difference does it make?
> >> 2) By "Radio" does Microsoft mean the actual physical transmitter on the
> >> wireless card, as I suspect, or is there some way to get this machine to
> >> actually pick up braodcast radio? And when, if at all should I enable or
> >> disable it?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Alan

Sorry Alan, not an answer!

I have exactly the same question and thought a reply might bring your
question to the top and elicit an actual reply.

Geoff.

"AK" <alan.kolnik@add-an-n-before-the-dot-verizo.net> wrote in message news:<eaaGNhIBFHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> I have a Dell Inspiron 700. There is a little wireless icon on the taskbar
> (actually, it looks like little flashlight). When I mouse over it, it
> offeres me the choice of using Intel PROset/Wireless or Microsoft client,
> and also has "Enable Radio" and "Disable Radio" fields.
>
> 1) Which of the Intel PROset/Wireless or Microsoft client settings should I
> use, and what difference does it make?
> 2) By "Radio" does Microsoft mean the actual physical transmitter on the
> wireless card, as I suspect, or is there some way to get this machine to
> actually pick up braodcast radio? And when, if at all should I enable or
> disable it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alan

It sounds like you have a built in wireless,the Intel, and an adapter you
purchased and plugged in, the microsoft.

Try one at a time and see which one works best for you.

Robert...