Name

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003

Hi hope someone can help.
Before I buy the a8n-e is there anything I need to know about special
kinds of memory and placement in the slots.
For example, if I have two 512MB DDR 400 sticks should I install them in
slots 1 & 2 or 1 & 3 and is Mushkin RAM ok.

TIA,
john

Paul

Splendid

In article <ZYE7e.8157$ff4.4313@trndny08>, NOvze4j6mvSPAM@verizon.net wrote:

> Hi hope someone can help.
> Before I buy the a8n-e is there anything I need to know about special
> kinds of memory and placement in the slots.
> For example, if I have two 512MB DDR 400 sticks should I install them in
> slots 1 & 2 or 1 & 3 and is Mushkin RAM ok.
>
> TIA,
> john

Before buying a motherboard, it pays to download the user
manual from the Asus download page. It will answer many of
your questions, and there won't be any surprises about the
feature set of the board, if you read the manual first. You
can, for example, look at pictures of the BIOS screens, so
you know what adjustments are available. (If you were buying
a mATX board, with three PCI slots, reading the manual to
see how stinko the BIOS is, is crucial.)

http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8N-E/e1911_a8n-e.pdf
or
ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8N-E/e1911_a8n-e.pdf

In terms of RAM, A8N-E is a dual channel board. For best
results, a pair of matched DIMMs can be used. One DIMM goes
on one channel, and the second DIMM goes on the same
corresponding spot on the other channel. Like A1 & B1 slots
get matching DIMMs.

You don't have to buy the RAM that comes two to a package,
if you don't want. With some vendors, their product is
consistent enough that you can buy two single sticks, and
they will use exactly the same chips. With generic RAM, all
bets are off, because the vendor could reserve the right to
substitute anything he feels like that gives him the same
quantity of memory on the DIMM. (I got to learn this first
hand at one of my local computer dealers, when the bozos put
_unmatched_ DIMMs in an 865G motherboard. One DIMM used x16
chips and the other used x8 chips. On a return visit to their
store, I got a second pair of unmatched DIMMs. Truly a
clueless operation, and since this was a prebuilt computer
in a weird form factor, they were disassembling the product
and inserting the DIMMs for me - as a service :-( I could
tell from memory benchmarks that the motherboard was
operating in single channel mode, due to the mismatch.)

There have been a couple of reports now, from people who have
tried to use four sticks (a matched pair, plus a slightly
different but matched pair), and they report that one of
the pairs of DIMMs is being ignored. If all four DIMMs are
exactly the same, all four DIMMs are recognized. If this
happens to you, this is likely a BIOS bug, that will get
fixed if enough people report this bug to Asus tech support.

As for whether the Mushkin will work, determining compatibility
via a newsgroup is extremely difficult. Some Asus manuals have
a QVL (qualified vendor list), and you can see test results for
the listed DIMMs. The list is pretty short, and next to useless
in practical terms (much of the RAM is no longer available).

Some of the major RAM vendors try to make their customers feel
better, by having an online database containing compatibility
information. Most of that info is _not_ established by testing,
but is established by looking at paper specifications. But,
generally, those major vendors back up their product, so that
if it doesn't work, you can return it or work out some
other arrangement.

In the very worst case, you buy generic RAM from a "web only"
store. If the RAM doesn't work, perhaps you can never return
the RAM, or get satisfaction from the store. Looking in
resellerratings.com might give a hint as to how bad a store it
is, before you deal with them.

If you visit the private forums, like abxzone.com, forums.pcper.com,
nforcershq.com, http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.php,
you can read thousands of posts, to determine if your choice of
RAM will work with that board. You could also visit Anandtech and
look at one of their many memory reviews (those memories are
generally the more expensive performance memories).

If you go to the Mushkin web site, click "DDR SDRAM", scroll to
bottom of page, click "DDR Mainboard Qualification Page",
then "Asus Motherboards", they have a review of the A8V Deluxe.
Mushkin's comments there may help you select RAM for your board.
Since the memory controller is inside the processor, all S939
boards should share the same drive characteristics for memory.
(Yes, the motherboard track impedance or termination schemes
could differ, but let's hope there are no longer inferior
designs from that point of view.)

Or you can just buy the RAM, plug it in, and see. That is the
one test you will be doing in any case.

Good luck,
Paul

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Paul wrote:

> [...]
>you can read thousands of posts, to determine if your choice of
>RAM will work with that board. You could also visit Anandtech and
>look at one of their many memory reviews (those memories are
>generally the more expensive performance memories).
>
>If you go to the Mushkin web site, click "DDR SDRAM", scroll to
>bottom of page, click "DDR Mainboard Qualification Page",
>then "Asus Motherboards", they have a review of the A8V Deluxe.
>Mushkin's comments there may help you select RAM for your board.
>Since the memory controller is inside the processor, all S939
>boards should share the same drive characteristics for memory.
>(Yes, the motherboard track impedance or termination schemes
>could differ, but let's hope there are no longer inferior
>designs from that point of view.)
>
>Or you can just buy the RAM, plug it in, and see. That is the

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I read the manual and checked
with Mushkin, the RAM I have is fine
and the slot configuration is easy.

thanks again,
john