Need pinout for serial port (IDC10) header on TUSL2

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

There are two different pinout standards for these headers --
one is linear (pin 1-to-1, pin 2-to-2 etc from the IDC10
motherboard header to the DB9 connector), and the other
is not linear. Anyone know which pinout Asus used on the
TUSL2? Thanks!

Paul

Splendid

In article <M7M7e.6513$lP1.2515@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "Rick"
<nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

> There are two different pinout standards for these headers --
> one is linear (pin 1-to-1, pin 2-to-2 etc from the IDC10
> motherboard header to the DB9 connector), and the other
> is not linear. Anyone know which pinout Asus used on the
> TUSL2? Thanks!

I checked Abxzone, and the question has been asked but not answered.

For pinout information, you can start with these two links:

*******
http://www.pccables.com/07120.htm AT-EVEREX-INTEL $1.25

1 2 3 4 5 1 3 5 7 9
6 7 8 9 2 4 6 8 key
DB-9 ribbon

DB-9 Ribbon
Pin 1 Pin 1
Pin 2 Pin 2
Pin 3 Pin 3 <---- TXD
Pin 4 Pin 4
Pin 5 Pin 5
Pin 6 Pin 6
Pin 7 Pin 7
Pin 8 Pin 8
Pin 9 Pin 9
*******

http://www.pccables.com/07121.htm DTK $1.25

1 2 3 4 5 1 3 5 7 9
6 7 8 9 2 4 6 8 key
DB-9 ribbon

DB-9 Ribbon
Pin 1 Pin 1
Pin 2 Pin 3
Pin 3 Pin 5 <---- TXD
Pin 4 Pin 7
Pin 5 Pin 9
Pin 6 Pin 2
Pin 7 Pin 4
Pin 8 Pin 6
Pin 9 Pin 8
*******

You could try connecting one serial port on your motherboard,
to the other. You know where the RX data pin is on the COM1
connector, because the COM1 connector will be standard. Here,
for example, it says pin 2 is RXD on a DB-9.

http://www.senie.com/dan/technology/9pin232.html

Pin Signal Equivalent pin on DB-25
----- ------ -----------------------
shell ground 1
1 DCD 8
2 RXD 3
3 TXD 2
4 DTR 20
5 signal ground 7
6 DSR 6
7 RTS 4
8 CTS 5
9 RI 22

In the above two pccable.com web pages, the TXD on COM2 is
either on pin 3 or pin 5 on the Asus 2x5 ribbon header. You
could run a test wire from RXD (pin 2 of the COM1 DB-9) to
those pins, one at a time. Using Hyperterminal, typing into
the COM2 window, should cause characters to show up in the
COM1 window, when the right pair of pins gets connected.
Based on whether pin 3 works or pin 5 works, you'll know
whether the adapter is Everex or DTK respectively.

Here is how a previous poster did his testing:

http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/p4c800e.html

Since the adapters are cheap, you could also buy one of
each, and test to see which one works.

HTH,
Paul

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:nospam-1604050754580001@192.168.1.178...
> [...]
> 3 TXD 2
> 4 DTR 20
> 5 signal ground 7
> 6 DSR 6
> 7 RTS 4
> 8 CTS 5
> 9 RI 22
>
> In the above two pccable.com web pages, the TXD on COM2 is
> either on pin 3 or pin 5 on the Asus 2x5 ribbon header. You
> could run a test wire from RXD (pin 2 of the COM1 DB-9) to
> those pins, one at a time. Using Hyperterminal, typing into
> the COM2 window, should cause characters to show up in the
> COM1 window, when the right pair of pins gets connected.
> Based on whether pin 3 works or pin 5 works, you'll know
> whether the adapter is Everex or DTK respectively.
>
> Here is how a previous poster did his testing:
>
> http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/p4c800e.html
>
> Since the adapters are cheap, you could also buy one of

Thanks Paul. Earlier today I found an external DB9 port
and cable from an old system and tried it, and as it turns
out the COM2 IDC10 header on the TUSL2 is linear
(AT/Everex type).

Only problem now is, I have a full tower case and need
about 24" from the motherboard header to the DB9
breakout in my case (all PCI slots are occupied so I can't
use a regular bracket). I've spent a few hours trying to
find someone who makes what I need and have had no
luck so far -- all of the IDC10<>DB9 cables currently
for sale are too short. So I might wind up just building
one myself.

Anyway, thanks again for your info!

Paul

Splendid

In article <1J78e.7158$yq6.1306@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "Rick"
<nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Thanks Paul. Earlier today I found an external DB9 port
> and cable from an old system and tried it, and as it turns
> out the COM2 IDC10 header on the TUSL2 is linear
> (AT/Everex type).
>
> Only problem now is, I have a full tower case and need
> about 24" from the motherboard header to the DB9
> breakout in my case (all PCI slots are occupied so I can't
> use a regular bracket). I've spent a few hours trying to
> find someone who makes what I need and have had no
> luck so far -- all of the IDC10<>DB9 cables currently
> for sale are too short. So I might wind up just building
> one myself.
>
> Anyway, thanks again for your info!

All the accounts about COM2 on Asus boards seem to be AT/Everex,
but that doesn't mean they are all that way, so it would have
been unfair to state that AT/Everex was the answer.

One post I read, complained that when a long adapter cable was
used for this function, it would not work! And when a short
one was used, it would work. The poster thought they were both
the same type of cable. There is no reason to believe a 24"
adapter cable won't work. In any case, post back whether or
not your custom cable works out or not. I'm curious as to
whether it is possible for such a short length of cable,
to stop an RS-232 interconnect from working.

Paul