Need pinout for serial port (IDC10) header on TUSL2

There are two different pinout standards for these headers --
one is linear (pin 1-to-1, pin 2-to-2 etc from the IDC10
motherboard header to the DB9 connector), and the other
is not linear. Anyone know which pinout Asus used on the
TUSL2? Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about need pinout serial port idc10 header tusl2

    In article <M7M7e.6513$lP1.2515@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "Rick"
    <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > There are two different pinout standards for these headers --
    > one is linear (pin 1-to-1, pin 2-to-2 etc from the IDC10
    > motherboard header to the DB9 connector), and the other
    > is not linear. Anyone know which pinout Asus used on the
    > TUSL2? Thanks!

    I checked Abxzone, and the question has been asked but not answered.

    For pinout information, you can start with these two links:

    *******
    http://www.pccables.com/07120.htm AT-EVEREX-INTEL $1.25

    1 2 3 4 5 1 3 5 7 9
    6 7 8 9 2 4 6 8 key
    DB-9 ribbon

    DB-9 Ribbon
    Pin 1 Pin 1
    Pin 2 Pin 2
    Pin 3 Pin 3 <---- TXD
    Pin 4 Pin 4
    Pin 5 Pin 5
    Pin 6 Pin 6
    Pin 7 Pin 7
    Pin 8 Pin 8
    Pin 9 Pin 9
    *******

    http://www.pccables.com/07121.htm DTK $1.25

    1 2 3 4 5 1 3 5 7 9
    6 7 8 9 2 4 6 8 key
    DB-9 ribbon

    DB-9 Ribbon
    Pin 1 Pin 1
    Pin 2 Pin 3
    Pin 3 Pin 5 <---- TXD
    Pin 4 Pin 7
    Pin 5 Pin 9
    Pin 6 Pin 2
    Pin 7 Pin 4
    Pin 8 Pin 6
    Pin 9 Pin 8
    *******

    You could try connecting one serial port on your motherboard,
    to the other. You know where the RX data pin is on the COM1
    connector, because the COM1 connector will be standard. Here,
    for example, it says pin 2 is RXD on a DB-9.

    http://www.senie.com/dan/technology/9pin232.html

    Pin Signal Equivalent pin on DB-25
    ----- ------ -----------------------
    shell ground 1
    1 DCD 8
    2 RXD 3
    3 TXD 2
    4 DTR 20
    5 signal ground 7
    6 DSR 6
    7 RTS 4
    8 CTS 5
    9 RI 22

    In the above two pccable.com web pages, the TXD on COM2 is
    either on pin 3 or pin 5 on the Asus 2x5 ribbon header. You
    could run a test wire from RXD (pin 2 of the COM1 DB-9) to
    those pins, one at a time. Using Hyperterminal, typing into
    the COM2 window, should cause characters to show up in the
    COM1 window, when the right pair of pins gets connected.
    Based on whether pin 3 works or pin 5 works, you'll know
    whether the adapter is Everex or DTK respectively.

    Here is how a previous poster did his testing:

    http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/p4c800e.html

    Since the adapters are cheap, you could also buy one of
    each, and test to see which one works.

    HTH,
    Paul

    "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:nospam-1604050754580001@192.168.1.178...
> [...]
    > 3 TXD 2
    > 4 DTR 20
    > 5 signal ground 7
    > 6 DSR 6
    > 7 RTS 4
    > 8 CTS 5
    > 9 RI 22
    >
    > In the above two pccable.com web pages, the TXD on COM2 is
    > either on pin 3 or pin 5 on the Asus 2x5 ribbon header. You
    > could run a test wire from RXD (pin 2 of the COM1 DB-9) to
    > those pins, one at a time. Using Hyperterminal, typing into
    > the COM2 window, should cause characters to show up in the
    > COM1 window, when the right pair of pins gets connected.
    > Based on whether pin 3 works or pin 5 works, you'll know
    > whether the adapter is Everex or DTK respectively.
    >
    > Here is how a previous poster did his testing:
    >
    > http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/p4c800e.html
    >
    > Since the adapters are cheap, you could also buy one of

    Thanks Paul. Earlier today I found an external DB9 port
    and cable from an old system and tried it, and as it turns
    out the COM2 IDC10 header on the TUSL2 is linear
    (AT/Everex type).

    Only problem now is, I have a full tower case and need
    about 24" from the motherboard header to the DB9
    breakout in my case (all PCI slots are occupied so I can't
    use a regular bracket). I've spent a few hours trying to
    find someone who makes what I need and have had no
    luck so far -- all of the IDC10<>DB9 cables currently
    for sale are too short. So I might wind up just building
    one myself.

    Anyway, thanks again for your info!

    In article <1J78e.7158$yq6.1306@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "Rick"
    <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > Thanks Paul. Earlier today I found an external DB9 port
    > and cable from an old system and tried it, and as it turns
    > out the COM2 IDC10 header on the TUSL2 is linear
    > (AT/Everex type).
    >
    > Only problem now is, I have a full tower case and need
    > about 24" from the motherboard header to the DB9
    > breakout in my case (all PCI slots are occupied so I can't
    > use a regular bracket). I've spent a few hours trying to
    > find someone who makes what I need and have had no
    > luck so far -- all of the IDC10<>DB9 cables currently
    > for sale are too short. So I might wind up just building
    > one myself.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks again for your info!

    All the accounts about COM2 on Asus boards seem to be AT/Everex,
    but that doesn't mean they are all that way, so it would have
    been unfair to state that AT/Everex was the answer.

    One post I read, complained that when a long adapter cable was
    used for this function, it would not work! And when a short
    one was used, it would work. The poster thought they were both
    the same type of cable. There is no reason to believe a 24"
    adapter cable won't work. In any case, post back whether or
    not your custom cable works out or not. I'm curious as to
    whether it is possible for such a short length of cable,
    to stop an RS-232 interconnect from working.

    Paul
  4. See http://www.mail-archive.com/plug@lists.pdxlinux.org/msg02380.html for discussion supporting straight-through pin-outs for ASUS MB

Asus Motherboards