New A8V Deluxe Won't Boot

I just built my new PC with the A8V Deluxe MB and AMD Athlon64 3000+ (939).
Connected the whole thing and it just doesn't boot. After realising that
only having one RAM module required placing it in B1, it still doesn't boot.
It lights up for half a second, makes a clicking kinda sound but nothing
else. I have ensured the power switch is connected to the correct two pins
on the panel header - not sure which way they go around, but either way the
PC does the same thing. When I turn the ATX case power supply on at the
back, the mobo LED inside the case does light up.

Any help would be appreciated :)
B.

Paul

Splendid

In article <4260f6c0$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, "Warwick Irvine"
<wsirvine@tpg.net.au> wrote:

> I just built my new PC with the A8V Deluxe MB and AMD Athlon64 3000+ (939).
> Connected the whole thing and it just doesn't boot. After realising that
> only having one RAM module required placing it in B1, it still doesn't boot.
> It lights up for half a second, makes a clicking kinda sound but nothing
> else. I have ensured the power switch is connected to the correct two pins
> on the panel header - not sure which way they go around, but either way the
> PC does the same thing. When I turn the ATX case power supply on at the
> back, the mobo LED inside the case does light up.
>
> Any help would be appreciated :)
> B.

The clicking kinda sound could be the PSU complaining about the
load. Is your PSU good for at least 15 amps on its +12V output ?
You can see in the thread above yours, by "Huub", he is dealing
with virtually identical symptoms. Have a look at that thread
for a few more hints.

One difference between "Huub" and your motherboard, is your
motherboard has Vocal POST. If you connect amplified speakers
to the green Lineout connector on the back of the computer,
you may get to hear an error message coming from the computer.
The Vocal POST messages show up on the motherboard Lineout
connector, even if you are using a separate PCI sound card.
I'm not sure whether the Vocal POST will be able to finish
a message in time, if the computer is not staying powered
on for very long, but it is the only other advantage your
motherboard has got.

The power switch should work either way. The power switch
should be insulated from chassis ground (not touching the
metal of the computer case), so the pins on the power
switch should work when connected either way. Even the IDE
and power LED are resistant to damage if reversed. If a LED
doesn't work, flip it around and try again. The LEDs used on
computer cases, are rated for 5V reverse bias, and that is
why they are not damaged if reversed during assembly.

Instead of the power switch, you can also disconnect the wires
of the power switch, and _carefully_ touch a screwdriver tip
to the two pins instead. That is an alternate way of faking
the pressing of a power switch, if, for example, your power
switch is defective. If doing a "cardboard test" of the
motherboard, that is how you start the motherboard, without
the use of a power switch.

HTH,
Paul

Aaaah, I just came across a website that fixed it for me. The manual didnt'
warn me about using the brass standofs and little red rubber ring things - i
must have been shorting it out each time i turned it on. makes sense. and
now it stays on, although i have no video :(